I've had many problems with Ti connect and JsTified so if anyone has questions or can answer questions, post here.
Mills6923a wrote:
I've had many problems with Ti connect and JsTified so if anyone has questions or can answer questions, post here.
How about some specific questions for us to answer? I'd be the best source of jsTIfied answers, since I made it, but we can pretty much all answer any question about either piece of software you may have.
How does JsTified work, do i just run it and use it as a calculator?
Also, whenever i run it, it doesn't seem to work
Mills6923a wrote:
How does JsTified work, do i just run it and use it as a calculator?
Yes, it's a direct hardware emulator, meaning that it emulates the processor, memory, screen, and other components of the real calculator. You will need a ROM image from your own calculator to use it.

Quote:
Also, whenever i run it, it doesn't seem to work
Can you be more specific?
whenever i run a JsTified calculator on google chrome it will send me to a page that has a picture of a calculator on it but the picture doesn't do anything because it is just a picture. I tried following the instructions but nothing happend.
You uploaded your ROM image to jsTIfied? Did it complain about the ROM image at all?
I'm not sure what happened, it just wouldn't do anything at all.
Stardust49 wrote:
I'm not sure what happened, it just wouldn't do anything at all.

KermMartian wrote:
You uploaded your ROM image to jsTIfied?
Work with me here, I need more details than "it wouldn't work".
Ok, i just went to it again and when i choose file and i choose a ROM image it will seem to except it but when it goes back to the site nothing has changed and it still says no file chosen. I have tried 2 different ROM images.
Stardust49 wrote:
Ok, i just went to it again and when i choose file and i choose a ROM image it will seem to except it but when it goes back to the site nothing has changed and it still says no file chosen. I have tried 2 different ROM images.
Let's be more methodical still:
1) What are the steps you tried? Are you loading the ROM from the ROM tab? Did you accept the Terms of Use (in the big red box)? Do you have DOM storage or cookies disabled?
2) Did you dump the ROM image from your own calculator? Is it a .ROM? Which calculator model is it?
3) Which browser and OS are you using?
1) I loaded the ROM image but did not accept the Terms of Use (oops). I do not have any cookies enabled that i know of.
2) I got the ROM images from online, I don't remember where. My calculator is a Ti84.
3) I am using google chrome on Windows 8
Stardust49 wrote:
1) I loaded the ROM image but did not accept the Terms of Use (oops). I do not have any cookies enabled that i know of.
If you try accepting the terms and then re-loading your ROM image, does that do the trick? If it doesn't, then what happens after you load the ROM image? Also, how big is the ROM image of your calculator? If it's a TI-84 Plus, it should be about 1MB; if it's a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition, it should be about 2MB.
Ok, I accepted the Terms of use and uploaded a .jpg calculator file that came from my calculator and the Jstified turned into a Ti82 for some odd reason and would not load the image. I decided not to go with the .rom files from online because they were both about 8MB wich according to you isn't normal.
I think this problem just has something to do with my browser because Google chrome has been acting up for me lately.
Try using http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=977 to create your OWN rom image.

If you are loading from windows with browser, you need a .rom file. The jpg setup is for iOS.
tifreak8x wrote:
Try using http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=977 to create your OWN rom image.

If you are loading from windows with browser, you need a .rom file. The jpg setup is for iOS.

Thanks, that explains a lot of the problem. I'll try it now. I'm still not sure exactly what a ROM image is or how it works. would anyone mind explaining the purpose of it to me?
A ROM image is an "image" of the nonvolatile (Flash/Archive/EEPROM) memory on a device, like your graphing calculator. The Flash memory contains the operating system that makes the device run, as well as a small section of code called the boot code that is roughly equivalent to your computer's BIOS. For legal reasons, jsTIfied is like your hardware calculator with no software: chips and wires and a screen and buttons and a power supply. To make it act like a graphing calculator, you need to give it software, and that software is the OS and boot code. ROM8x combines a special unique set of data from your calculator (the boot code and certificate, which uniquely identifies the calculator) with a .8xu (OS upgrade) file from TI Education, forming a ROM image that is tied to your own calculator, and thus is most legal for you, and you only, to use.
Thanks, so now that I know what a ROM image is, what would you say is the easiest way to obtain a ROM image from my calculator.

(thanks for helping me with all my questions. I know you've spent a lot of time helping me and I want you to know that I appreciate your commitment. I'm great with basic programming but not with computer software)

Also, to get on the topic with TI connect again, i still can't get any files onto my calculator. could anyone walk me through that?
Stardust49 wrote:
Thanks, so now that I know what a ROM image is, what would you say is the easiest way to obtain a ROM image from my calculator.

(thanks for helping me with all my questions. I know you've spent a lot of time helping me and I want you to know that I appreciate your commitment. I'm great with basic programming but not with computer software)
That's fine. We recommend rom8x 0.3.1 for dumping your calculator's ROM image.

Quote:
Also, to get on the topic with TI connect again, i still can't get any files onto my calculator. could anyone walk me through that?
What are the steps you're trying, and what happens?
Ok, so when I go onto TI connect, these are my steps
1) Click on Explore my TI Data
2) Make sure my calculator is connected via direct USB and is turned on
3) Select my calculator and explore the Data
4) Chose a file and right click to do whatever it says (i can't remember the exact word)
5) The computer says it is Recieving the file
6) The file is done recieving yet is nowhere to be found on the calculator or the computer.
Try changing the location where TI-connect sends the file to the computer. If you select move, then the file is taken off of the calculator. You can change the download location of the file by opening the main TI Connect program and opening the options button -- should be near the lower right, as a gear. Hope this helps! Smile (Try changing User Data)

EDIT: Hmm, it actually seems like you want to send files to your calculator, not the other way around. From the main TI Connect program, open Send To TI Device, which should have a giant yellow arrow over it. From the screen that pops up, click the button [Select Device], and select your calculator from this menu. To choose files to send, press the [Browse] button. When you are ready, press the [Send to Device] button. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours