I've been working for the past couple of weeks on and off on a Tank Wars game. It's not that much yet, but I think it will be pretty good when it's done. Right now I have the following features done:

-Map generation
-Firing of bombs, nukes, diggers, and scattershots
-Hit detection and ground destruction for bombs, nukes, and scattershots
-2 player mode
-Purchasing Upgrades
-10 levels (1 for each of the planets and one bonus one)

So basically the game engine is nearly complete, but is in definite need of fine tuning. Still to come will be:

-Guided Missiles
-Heat Seeking Missiles
-AI
-More Upgrades - including defensive upgrades
-More levels
-Saving/Loading
-More features

Right now, I have a decently stable alpha version. I am aware there are many problems with it right now. I thought you guys might like a preview so you can download it here http://www.box.net/public/yttvanxl2x . When you are playing it, I strongly recommend sticking to only firing bombs, nukes, and scattershots at this point. Guided Missiles will fire, but are uncontrollable and make the program crash. If you are going to play it remember this, instead of trying to push the program to the limits to see if it will crash, try instead, to try to make it work without crashing. Laughing But seriously, I am aware that this version is unstable, and I will improve on this and at some point in the future I will make a much better version for you guys to play and find bugs in.

Edit: Stupid me, I forgot the levels. Here it is http://www.box.net/public/5roxie52zv . You need to put that right on the C:\ for now. There's a way around that, but I forget what it is, so just put it on the C:\ for now.
yeah, can you make it so i don't have to sign up to download them? (if not, e-mail them to me and i'll host them for you on my server)
Crap you do? Ok, I'll email them to you. Smile

Edit: Doh, gmail won't let me send exe's. I wonder if hotmail will Neutral
just take off the .exe and it will be fine
Orly? Well, too late. I already sent them with hotmail.
that is ok, that kind of stuff is just things you pick up on (gmail filters attachments by extension)
I tried doing it just now, but it stayed as an exe that was called tanks.aaa.exe. How exactly do you change it?
when you look at the file in explorer on your comp, do you see tanks.exe or just tanks
Just tanks.
assuming win XP here

in explorter tools=>folder options=>view tab=> take out the check in front of "hide extensions for known file types"

that should do it
There we go! Thanks Smile
no problem. I like being able to view my extensions. Also, if you change it to something weird, than the other person won't have to go through that step
whats wrong with it? It keeps coming up with a runtime error when ever I try and play.
Did you put levels.lvl directly on the C:\?

Edit: Ok, I found out how to find the directory that levels.lvl is in. I will email you the new version Kllrnohj. Now you just have to put them in the same directory Smile
should levels be in a subdirectory?
When kllrnohj posts a link to his site, they can be in the directory with Tanks. Right now, you need to put it on the C:\
Smile
AI would be easy if you used the formulae I posted somewhere else (in another Tanks topic...) to help solve for whether it would hit or not. Adding a "fuzzy" factor into it should make it miss every now and then.
Yea, that's what I was planning. I figured I would do 2 player first and then add that in. Good Idea
Looks good so far. The stability isn't bad considering it's an alpha.
"Hotmail has permanently blocked the following potentially unsafe attachment(s): Tanks.exe (0.06 MB) More Info..."

e-mail it to me in gmail under the name "tanks.exe.bak" <- that'll work just fine (i have the levels file just fine)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours