Hey, this is the thread the thomas and I will post in for updates on our project Forum OS. For to view silent updates that may or may not be posted goto Forum OS Underconsruction Page Very Happy or The Stick Figure Productions Forum OS Thread. Most of the info in the Stick Figure Productions Thread will be posted here.

[ALL WAYS CHANGING]
Here are the most recent pics from the project:

Basic Screen:

Full Collage:

[ALL WAYS CHANGING]

Hope you like it. Post comments, ideas, etc... and please come and be apart of this project.

Thomas or Kerm, if its possible could you make this sticky?
so its a forum system built in Java?
Swivel: I probably won't need to sticky it, it should stay at the top on its own. Are those dev screens, or prototyping screens?
yes it is a forum system in java.

Most of those are prototyping, although the login is an actual dev screen the others are models using the graphics we will be using.

btw, since this is a StickFigure Graphic Productions project, I am moving into the elfprince13 sub-forum.
elfprince13 wrote:
yes it is a forum system in java.

First question that comes to my mind is WHY?
That's what I said too. Smile They said it's more secure than PHP+MySQL, and more efficient.
more featureful. it will be fun. and FAR more secure cause you control the only way of sending data, whereas with PHP people can go right around your forms and send anything they wnat.
yeah, as opposed to java, which gets downloaded to my computer, free for me to decompile and find holes - BRILLIANT IDEA! Laughing (not to mention doing a string search on to find all your passwords Evil or Very Mad - if you communicate directly to mysql or whatever, that is)

sounds like a fun project if just for that reason alone
Kllrnohj wrote:
yeah, as opposed to java, which gets downloaded to my computer, free for me to decompile and find holes - BRILLIANT IDEA! Laughing (not to mention doing a string search on to find all your passwords Evil or Very Mad - if you communicate directly to mysql or whatever, that is)

sounds like a fun project if just for that reason alone

heh. anyone can download phpBB.....and that doesn't even have to be decompiled....

plus we have a much better way of protecting passwords then Java sourcecode

secure PHP parameter file = fun.
Elaborate plz?
elfprince13 wrote:
heh. anyone can download phpBB.....and that doesn't even have to be decompiled....

plus we have a much better way of protecting passwords then Java sourcecode

Yeah, anyone can download linux (or firefox, or GAIM, etc...) source too, but amazingly its still malware free compared to windows Laughing

It doesn't matter how you protect your passwords, I was just saying that it won't be any more secure than PHP, and more likely it will be less secure if anything, as a bulk of the code will be client-side executed.
so why does it matter if they can disassemble ours if the passwords aren't in it?

and we control the only way of submitting data to the database. You dont have to worry about someone faking an HTML form submission in Telnet because ALL THE INPUT is inside the applet. No code gets executed on there server except the password check for the database and if they send a fake password who cares?...it wont except it.

and you are missing the biggest part of this project which is functionality. It gives us way more flexibility of what we can do on screen, and ONE loading time. You don't have to wait for the page to load every time you want to make a post or something, because once the applet loads, all the data is there. The only thing occuring over the network from that point on are database entries, not entire webpages packed full of images.

CURRENT DEMO
at least compile in 1.4.2 so that those of use who can't (or don't want to) run 1.5/5.0 don't have to...(you said you weren't using 1.5 specific code, so there isn't any reason not to)
just configured Crimsom Editor to compile all my stuff in Java 1.4
its working, in case you were wondering (or at least i THINK it is - i see like a doggy after i hit login...not sure wtf is going on, but its running)
woot....

So, here's what I have so far.

• The prototype for the login screen.
  • The protoype of the prototype for taskbar/taskmenu
  • The menu.
  • Lots of graphics

the next big project is the taskbar. then the login/database integration. then the internal windows. then all other junk like the forum itself.
Do you have the servside stuff yet?
Hardly, that is one thing that he and I have not be able to do much of. We can't seem to get coordinated in that area, it all goes wrong when WE try to get access to each others DB's so we cant even get started on the server. Neutral
Huh, that's weird. What lang is the serverside stuff, php? If so, I could give you some help...
The applet connects directly to the Database. Ive got a Java app that does it, but im getting errors when I try the applet.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours