This is something I'm currently tinkering around with at the moment to make my future projects easier.

The runtime is based off of the C runtime, and will have at least these 7 functions:

Code:
_start   - the entry point for the program
_exit - the exit point for the program
_execve - execute a program with arguments
_sbrk - set break value for program
_alloc - allocate memory
_realloc - reallocate memory
_free - free memory

When a program is linked with this, the main function will receive the number of arguments passed to the program in 'a', a pointer to a list of arguments in 'hl', and the magic number $7105 ("TIOS") in 'de'.

The way this works is pretty simple. The runtime pretty much hogs tempSwapArea for it's nefarious plot to the conquer the universe. When the execve function is called, it'll write the magic value $7105, the argument count, and the list of arguments to this area of memory before actually launching the program. If the program uses this runtime as well, the _start function will check tempSwapArea for these value, and pass them to the main function. The program itself will know it was called with execve because 'de' will be set to $7105.

Next is sbrk. The "legit" way to do this to extend the ram being used by the running program which I'm fairly certain is possible. If I'm wrong, I'll cut this one out and instead design the memory library to make use of saveSScreen, plotSScreen, statVars, and appBackUpScreen.

The use of overlays will be really helpful in working around RAM limitations. They'll all be stored in archive memory by default. When the user loads one, it's copied into ram and the loader performs relocations, imports, and exports on it. The overlay itself should only use short jumps and addresses that have been relocated

Code:
; Program Name: testovl
; Author: DaemonR
; Version: 1.0
; Date: 9/6/2014
; Written for Doors CS 7.0 and higher (http://dcs.cemetech.net)
;
; This is a test of the overlay system
.nolist
#include "ti83plus.inc"
#include "../source/overlay.inc"
.list
   .org $0000
   .db $BB,$6D

init:
   xor e
   jr _start

.dw RelocationTable   ; Pointer to relocation table
   .dw ImportsTable   ; Pointer to imports table
   .dw ExportsTable   ; Pointer to exports table

_start:

printEntrypointAddr:
   xor a
   call GetOverlayReloc      ; get first relocation address in hl
   push a            ; push 'a' for imported function
   call ImportFunction      ; execute import function #1
   ret

RelocationTable:
   .dw 1         ; Number of relocations
   .dw _start         ; address

ImportsTable:
   .dw 1         ; Number of imports
   .db $0A            ; id (eg. "_VDispHL")
   .dw $0000         ; address

ExportsTable:
   .dw 1         ; Number of exports
   .db $F7            ; id
   .dw printEntrypointAddr   ; address

Working with them will be tricky, but worthwhile as you can make enormous programs that have full access to the DoorsCS api.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours