Then what do you call "hasn't worked" ?
Does the app transfer ? (I guess yes)
Does the app launch ?
Do you see the menu ?
Can you reach the character selection menu ?
Can you reach the map selection menu ?
Can you reach actual gameplay ? (I guess no)
For those who don't have any problem running the app, you probably noticed that at "high" percents, hitboxes send the opponent in the wrng direction. Obvious sign of an overflow.

That's why I am making this little update, where projection calculation is done with 32bit integers, thanks to Runer112's Lib4byte (gives access to 32bit addition).

Download

I don't remember when was last time I updated him, but if your Falco can't jump, then update him too, he has new moves (even though still not complete, like Fox).
It seems like this has been getting some publicity Smile

http://tinycartridge.com/post/102627220562/smash-bros-for-ti-83-84-calculators-obviously
Congratulations for it also being posted on Kotaku, Hayleia: http://kotaku.com/yup-someone-put-super-smash-bros-on-a-ti-83-calculato-1658930927
Thanks for telling me, and thanks for your support during all the developpement Smile

There are just two things I don't really like about that. The fact that they advertise my game even though it's not finished at all (but of course, if they want to buzz, they have to news about it when people are Googling Smash Bros while waiting for the Wii U version) and the fact that in the second link, they mention the 83 even though SSBO doesn't run on it, and the 84 even though that calculator doesn't exist and "84" could also be used now to describe a CSE on which my game doesn't run.
Yeah, there was already someone asking why the game didn't run on his CSE on Omnimaga, if I remember correctly.

That said I think it's good that it gets such publicity because people were invited to create their own characters, so perhaps this could help getting more characters.

Congrats, by the way! Smile
I'm working on the sprites for the items. Should I do the ones from melee, brawl, or also the ones from the new 3DS version?
I am not sure when I'll work on items but it would be great if I had sprites ready when I do, so thanks for that Smile

And whatever suits you for the version, as long as we recognize the item Wink
You are also on Hackaday! http://hackaday.com/2014/11/17/super-smash-bros-on-a-calculator/
With public recognition comes pressure! But don't let it worry you Hayleia, just enjoy working on the project, it's looking amazing! I've not played Super Smash Bros myself, but a few of my bandmates used to play it all the time and they were impressed to see that someone is doing a calculator version! Smile
I already have about a third of the sprites done (I'm focusing on the brawl ones, though I will probably add the other ones later). Some of them are a lot more complicated than others...
JamesV wrote:
With public recognition comes pressure! But don't let it worry you Hayleia, just enjoy working on the project, it's looking amazing! I've not played Super Smash Bros myself, but a few of my bandmates used to play it all the time and they were impressed to see that someone is doing a calculator version! Smile
The thing I find the most technically-impressive about this version so far is the sprite scaling, which I'm sure was very challenging to implement. I look forward to seeing how this progresses, and I don't doubt it will live up to the massive hype that has been generated around it. Wink
Thanks everyone for showing interest in that project, it really gives motivation to find time to work on this here and there Smile

KermMartian wrote:
The thing I find the most technically-impressive about this version so far is the sprite scaling, which I'm sure was very challenging to implement.
Actually, not that much since I used Badja's scaled sprite routine Wink
I just had to find a way to use this SMC-based code in my app and Matref kindly accepted to compile it first as an Axiom, then finally just as "standard asm" but in an appvar and with a .org that lets me copy the code in RAM and jump to it.

Also, update !
  • Now with the modified version of ClrDraw's titlescreen
  • Possibility to go to previous submenu in menus ("big-buttoned" menus, not all menus)
  • Facelifting for the character selection menu
  • Now displays the "name" of the character when the map zooms out so that you always know where you are
  • Rectangles are drawn more often. I still found one occurence of a missing rectangle but all other ones were gone so that's an improvement in my opinion. And if you want to know how much time I spent on this, check the source code out, I didn't remove all my attempts at correcting that problem (kept them in comments in case I break everything when trying something else)

Download http://ti-pla.net/a110486

Fixed dangling '[/li]'s - elfprince
@16aroth6:
Your sprites will probably soon be useful Wink
I managed to get objects to start working without limitaions (except that all hitboxes are now broken) so the game isn't limited to two characters on a map now.

As the screenshot shows, Falco can fire lasers and also clone himself (not an official move, this was for testing purposes) Very Happy
Haha, that looks like fun. What strategy did you use to allow more than two objects per game? I presume that instead of two fixed objects that you update and redraw every tick, you instead have an array of objects with a given length, and you just iterate through and update them all every tick?
Hayleia: I've had most of them done for a while, I'll upload those as soon as I can.
KermMartian wrote:
Haha, that looks like fun. What strategy did you use to allow more than two objects per game? I presume that instead of two fixed objects that you update and redraw every tick, you instead have an array of objects with a given length, and you just iterate through and update them all every tick?
That's what my program was doing until Monday. I then switched to doubly linked lists, to be able to delete an object at any time, even if it's not an end of the list. That's why hitboxes are broken, they are still acting as if they were in an array, reading and writing at fixed places even though they shouldn't.

16aroth6 wrote:
Hayleia: I've had most of them done for a while, I'll upload those as soon as I can.
Ok great, let me know when you're done Smile

I also have some good news for Meta Knight fans...
Ooh nice, glad you are adding items. For a while, I thought you planned to only have no-item mode since you prefered it and IIRC one of your Omni post said you had no plan to add items. Glad that's finally not gonna be the case finally.

Awesome job so far. Smile
You are probably referring to this post and yeah, it's true that I was not very fond of the idea of adding items but still, I said they were on the todo list, even though very low. And the reason why I added them now is that I basically need the engine to support them if I want Fox and Falco to have their blasters working. Plus the fact the other thing I wanted to work on is hitboxes and this is not a very entertaining job so I worked on items first to break hitboxes then have one more reason to work on hitboxes Razz
UPDATE !

The zip is no longer called SuperStarFox because MetaKnight is in... but also Jigglypuff !

Don't get overexcited on those two characters though. They have even less moves than Falco.

Now for real changes since last update:
-doubly linked list instead of table for object creation/deletion
-added falco's blaster (doesn't do damages but still fires)
-added falco's clone (for testing purposes, will not be in final version so have fun while you can Razz)
-moved menu sprites into appvar (be sure to update SSBODATA !)
-limited horizontal airspeed if in a state where we can control speed (probably too restrictive but at least enough)
-added halfpivot for Jigglypuff and MetaKnight's air jumps, and also for regular groundjumps (allows you to dash and jump backwards)
-hitboxes did not want to work so I reverted them back to a state where they worked with a bit of precision loss

Note: I don't know if Multi still works, I don't have two calcs with me at the moment -.-
edit Forget about this.

I found batteries for my 83+.fr and was able to test, find out what was wrong and correct it so now Multi is back Smile

Download at the same place Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours