So I've begun this port. Enemy data and screen data needed no changes, though I added the create screen routine to the end of it, and removed 2 other programs no longer needed by the game.

I've gotten the main title menu to work, along with the help file, and it even starts up a new game and sends you in to wander the map:

I need to go through and fix issues with the events program, and then work on combining the village setup to include the code for the armory, tavern and shop so it combines four programs into one.
Will you being adding color to the displayed text sprites?
No, since it can't be done natively for the homescreen. I'm keeping it as simple as the original games were, just moving it up to the homescreen because the graphscreen is so huge it'd take forever to get anywhere on it. I'm pretty much sticking with the way I did it on the Prizm, simple, fast, and enjoyable. Smile

The only thing DCSE this game will handle is the icon, which I've yet to design, at all.
Thought I'd throw an update here.

I'm working on combining the battle programs together (5 programs) and once that is complete, I should be able to begin testing. Shooting to have something playable by the weekend, pending on other distractions.
tifreak8x wrote:
Thought I'd throw an update here.

I'm working on combining the battle programs together (5 programs) and once that is complete, I should be able to begin testing. Shooting to have something playable by the weekend, pending on other distractions.
I support the merging of multiple subprograms into a single program, especially since that makes it easier for people to share your programs with their friends.

tifreak8x wrote:
No, since it can't be done natively for the homescreen.
DispColor! (yes, I know that's not native)
Quote:
The only thing DCSE this game will handle is the icon, which I've yet to design, at all.
Everyone has DCSE anyway; you should use DispColor. Wink
Well, once AoDCSE is done, this topic will still be used, for a far more graphical AoD game (probably going to go with what AoDR was supposed to be, way back when)

Still plenty to do to this game yet, and still other things I want to accomplish before I take to that task, though.
I've been working on the battle system, got the sword programmed in, working on making magic usable. Biggest issues is changing Text( to Output(, and making the menus from number pad based to using a cursor. I also need to try to go through all the programs again and make sure all the text is not just capital letters, as I've been fixing some of that text in the battle system.
I've managed to get the battle system programmed in to a point where you can use your sword and magics, but I've not gotten enemy attacking in, yet, nor have I got the experience gain stuff in yet.
Managed to get the rest of the battle system 'coded', running tests on certain functions in game before I go working on testing the battle system. So far, my in game menu isn't working out so well, I've run into a dimension error and I'm uncertain as to why it's cropping up.

I'm finding errors (stupid ones) cropping up everywhere, so I'll see about getting a screenshot once this game is at least somewhat playable.

Was bored while tracking bugs down, decided to come up with an icon image to use.

Back to figuring out what is wrong with the battle system :<

Updated subprograms to not show up in dcse, help clear that up some since rand shouldn't affect anything with the way the game is currently programmed in.

Edit:

Realized I left the grid on with that picture, so posting this one:

Thoughts for this as an icon?
I think that should look good. If it was being displayed at 1:1 scale, I'd worry that the detail might get lost on the TI-84+CSE's screen, but since Doors CSE scales the 16x16 icons up to 32x32, I think it will look quite nice.
I'll try to remember to get a screenshot of the icon from DCSE view.

I've been a little lax in working on this the last couple of days. I did fix a couple of lines there values weren't correct. Otherwise, I haven't really tested anything.

Edit:

You'll also notice that the subprograms are hidden from DCSE, figured it would help keep things cleaned up there.

Now on to testing the actual game play again.
Nice... Road into the distance Wink. So you are using the Hide option in DCSE? Or is it some magical tifreak wizardry!
Here is the header information for DCSE: http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php/BASIC_Header
Of course...I should have seen that coming
I've cleaned up some code, figured out some issues while finding others.

I found the bug that was giving me a domain error, using getkey->Z instead of getkey->N.

Still have issues with the battle system:

Randomly jumps back to the menu for battles instead of the enemy attacking
After attacking, the main cursor stops moving, no idea why yet.

It's getting closer to being playable, hooray.
I've managed to eliminate some issues regarding the battle system, mainly:

- cursor wouldn't move to select other options, encased the code for the main menu in battles in its own while loop

- solved an error domain error when trying to access magic

- fixed issue with looking at stats and being kicked back to fighting

As it stands, the bugs I know that exist for the enemy:

When the enemy goes to attack, it jumps to the main menu without doing anything, leaving text up from where it says that the enemy is attacking.

I think there was something else, but I can't think of what it is at the moment.

Update:

I think I solved the issue with randomly bouncing back to the menu after the enemy is to attack. The above shows the only thing that might be construed as an error, but I might leave it like that. Doesn't really seem to be hurting anything, but it should be easily removed if it comes to that.
So, who wants a beta version to play with? I really really really need someone who can do a run through of this game and check for errors. I think I've eliminated all the bugs, but there's no way to know until someone plays the game through. :S

http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=1159

Went ahead and uploaded the file. Please check it out, save often and see if you come across any bugs. Thanks!
Ok #1, if one collects a treasure chest then enters the mode menu or engages in a battle, the chest reappears. Next, when I go to the capital B, it does nothing and disappears.
Thanks for the bug reports, I'll look into them as soon as I can. Strange that the Bosses don't seem to work.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours