Hi. On the hp prime, every time the calculator is turned on the hp logo (splash screen) goes on. How can you disable this? Does the new firmware get rid of this annoyance?
billhill69 wrote:
Hi. On the hp prime, every time the calculator is turned on the hp logo (splash screen) goes on. How can you disable this? Does the new firmware get rid of this annoyance?
To my knowledge that splashscreen covers various initialization necessary to make sure that the RAM, for example, is in a consistent state (although I have no proof of this). The Casio Prizm performs a similar function on power-off, showing the Casio logo to presumably cover such checks for a few seconds before the calculator actually powers off. I believe that this splashscreen is still present on the newest firmware, but perhaps Tim Wessman will pop in and answer.
KermMartian wrote:
billhill69 wrote:
To my knowledge that splashscreen covers various initialization necessary to make sure that the RAM, for example, is in a consistent state (although I have no proof of this). The Casio Prizm performs a similar function on power-off, showing the Casio logo to presumably cover such checks for a few seconds before the calculator actually powers off. I believe that this splashscreen is still present on the newest firmware, but perhaps Tim Wessman will pop in and answer.

hi. I found out the prime has the ability to "remember" what has been typed even though the splash screen is there...so to me, it seems logical to reduce the splash screen size marginally such that the lowest stack can be seen ( whilst the splash screen is there). I think this is something the calc team could easily do.

The justification of this is based on the simple fact and observation that the calculator ( at the moment) CAN do 2 things at once...ie remember whats been typed and dusplay a splash screen...the splash screen just needs to be smaller.
Looking at the base assembly code from the firmware, it appears there's just an empty loop that executes for a fixed number of frames there. I assume that this dead loop is interruped for asynchronous booting, but I'm really just thinking they wanted a splash screen there.
In that case...canwe changing the timing or remove that section of cide?
billhill69 wrote:
In that case, can we change the timing or remove that section of code?

I'm not certain how the hp OS works. But I'm almost certain you would have to recompile, or build the OS with the fixed state. I'm sure then you would run into signing issues.
I see...sounds like work for the hp team..but its great you identified that something is possible. Just needs someone to do it (from hp)

Cheers
zeldaking wrote:
billhill69 wrote:
In that case, can we change the timing or remove that section of code?

I'm not certain how the hp OS works. But I'm almost certain you would have to recompile, or build the OS with the fixed state. I'm sure then you would run into signing issues.
Based on experimentation that people like Hooloovoo were doing (although he didn't release his results, sadly), no signing is necessary. On the other hand, releasing a slightly-patched version of a copyrighted program has serious ethical and legal implications, as we've seen with the TI-OS.
Releasing a binary diff* and needed tools to patch an HP-supplied binary for yourself is fine, however, and still lets people use your changes.

* so long that your binary diff does not contain non-redistributable proprietary code.
KermMartian wrote:

a slightly-patched version of a copyrighted program has serious ethical

It does how so? I would not feel bad improving the lives of calculator users. If you mean good ethical implications then yes I do agree you are doing lots of people a very nice favor. However I have a strange feeling you don't mean good ethical implications. Instead you may be thinking something else that may be the result of a misconception that I may be able to clarify.
KermMartian wrote:

and legal implications, as we've seen with the TI-OS.

Again how so? Just make a patch. I would personally have no objection to distribute the complete binary as the file is useless without a calculator however if you are really that paranoid why not just distribute a diff file. I do not claim to have any legal authority or much knowledge of such however I would like to point out that a law is by no means a measure of what is good or bad and what is good or bad varies depending on who you ask in some instances. For example some (such as Richard Stallman) attribute the extreme and oppressive DMCA laws to Hollywood lobbyists. Also it is likely that laws have certain subtle exceptions that may but not be necessarily be designed for a certain individual to abuse (again lobbyists) such exceptions can also be used to ones advantage. As in find a legal workaround to this "copyright" problem.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours