Hello!

A lot of people seem to be concerned about the speed of Hybrid Basic/ASM programs on the Ti-84PCSE. I have an idea that could make them run faster, if my assumptions about the hardware are correct.

I think they could be run much faster if the amount of colors it needed to draw was restricted to black and white. This is because the calculator is already at its maximum drawing power making the full spectrum of colors. If, somehow, the amount of colors it needed to use were restricted, I think it would need to use less power, and thus, we gain a higher frame rate.

So how about it? Does this sound plausible, or am I completely mistaken?
Note that the bandwidth to the LCD will not be reduced iirc. You will still have to push out data for each pixel. I don't think the LCD can accept 6/8 pixels per byte like the T6K04 in the 8x line.

Then again, I don't know what the LCD can do as I don't have that particular calc.
AHelper wrote:
Note that the bandwidth to the LCD will not be reduced iirc. You will still have to push out data for each pixel. I don't think the LCD can accept 6/8 pixels per byte like the T6K04 in the 8x line.

Then again, I don't know what the LCD can do as I don't have that particular calc.

Why can't the LCD accept 6-8 pixels per byte? What will happen if this is tried?

Also, what is the LCD bandwidth?
Are we talking about the 84C here? Unfortunately there isnt a multi-pixel mode that I'm aware of. Drawing efficiency is more likely to be gained from the way pixel data is stored/accessed prior to their output to the LCD.
Nin68 wrote:
AHelper wrote:

Why can't the LCD accept 6-8 pixels per byte? What will happen if this is tried?

The capability to send fewer than 16 bits of color data per pixel simply does not exist in the driver.

By LCD bandwidth, do you mean the speed at which the calculator can send data to it? In that case, the absolute maximum when just filling the window with one color over and over is about 500,000 pixels per second, or about 6.5 full 320x240 frames per second. Of course, when you actually start adding in logic to draw sensical data, like sprites, that usually drops down to more like 3 or 4 full 320x240 frames per second.
Runer112 wrote:
Nin68 wrote:
AHelper wrote:

The capability to send fewer than 16 bits of color data per pixel simply does not exist in the driver.

By LCD bandwidth, do you mean the speed at which the calculator can send data to it? In that case, the absolute maximum when just filling the window with one color over and over is about 500,000 pixels per second, or about 6.5 full 320x240 frames per second. Of course, when you actually start adding in logic to draw sensical data, like sprites, that usually drops down to more like 3 or 4 full 320x240 frames per second.

So there's no way to modify the driver to make it be able to use less?
Nin68 wrote:
So there's no way to modify the driver to make it be able to use less?

Without producing a modified LCD driver and finding a way to flash it to the LCD controller, no. And I imagine that both of those two feats are individually extremely hard, if not impossible. It's absolutely not something you could do in software alone, so its usability in a program that you'd want to distribute is nil.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours