tifreak8x wrote:
What about your nifty GPS stuff? It would be cool if you could record a video on one of your bus rides to work of the various data changing and have that for display as well, showing how well it works?
That's a great idea! I would love to demonstrate the GPS module in some way, although I'm not sure how feasible a video would be. This definitely bears further thought.

tifreak8x wrote:
How difficult would it be to set up a mini party mode 2?
The hardest part would be the missing fans.

elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
That sounds like the proper set of minimum components to me. I would recommend something that shows off Cemetech's non-calculator side, like something computer- or microcontrollers related, but the Faire is already going to be completely saturated with Arduino and ATmega-based hardware.

Did someone say FreeBuild? Razz
That's not a bad idea. Smile Is there some compact and automated way we could demonstrate it?
KermMartian wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:
What about your nifty GPS stuff? It would be cool if you could record a video on one of your bus rides to work of the various data changing and have that for display as well, showing how well it works?
That's a great idea! I would love to demonstrate the GPS module in some way, although I'm not sure how feasible a video would be. This definitely bears further thought.

tifreak8x wrote:
How difficult would it be to set up a mini party mode 2?
The hardest part would be the missing fans.

For the GPS, does it not update quickly? I figure you could just wait until the bus is in motion and those numbers start changing to record 30 or so seconds of video.

As to the missing fans, what's so special about them? Can you use a few computer fans to simulate the other setup?
KermMartian wrote:
That's not a bad idea. Smile Is there some compact and automated way we could demonstrate it?

Not sure, but I'd guess we can figure something out.
KermMartian wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:

Find a friend with a proper GPS or find a (free) app that people can download to their Androids & iPhones to look at coordinates and compare it with those on the calc. Maybe even take them on a guided ten foot walk.
@ party mode. We have time we could in essence convert the vu fans to something else.

I hope to get started on these displays before mid july. I will probably do a mockup one first post some pictures so you can give me thoughts/ ideas. But keep the ideas coming!

Current Items:

-Overview Board
    -KermBook
    -Audio Booth
    -cn2/Flourish (or similar)
    -Guestbook
    -Games/Hands on

Current Ideas:

- GPS Calc
    - Party Mode
    - FreeBuild
Whelp, we have fewer than two months left until Maker Faire, and I'm happy to announce that our proposal for the Faire has been accepted. As I warned, we will only have space for four people (Elfprince, geekboy, qazz42, and yours truly), although I know there are other people who want to join us. I'm going to be very busy around Faire time with my academic work for a conference deadline at the end of September, so I'm hoping we can organize getting as much done early as possible. In particular, I want to start creating our infamous bookmarks very early. I still have the template from last year, so I'll have to buy a ream of paper, copy the bookmarks onto all the sheets, and cut them all apart, hopefully before the middle of August (and nag me if I don't). What, if anything, still needs to be done on the hardware and software for the displays? I think the bulk of the work will be on the final portion, the displays themselves.
I know Eeems wants to come but i do not know how getting passports works in Canada and I know he has not yet. So we shall see if that still happens.

As for getting stuff done.
Bookmarks. Mind posting the template up again for review? I honestly forget what they look like.

Nagging you. Check

Displays. Ive got how i mentally want them to look down its just getting the material and going. I have to look into how i want to do the letters still Emily gave me a great idea the other day and i have to check the rough pricing for it. But it would definitely be the Best looking solution of them all (More to come if it pans out)

KermM Can you write up what you want on each of those signs for me? I don't have copies of them handy nor do I want to rewrite them my self. I would rather have it be group written or at least started by someone else.
I am about to go to sleep, so I will post the template for the bookmarks tomorrow. Basically one side says that Cemetech teaches programming, hardware, and electronics, and you should come introduce yourself. The other side mentions my two books as beginner guides for calculator programmers and users.

Displays: Do http://www.cemetech.net/img/news/makerfaire13/tablefull1.jpg and http://www.cemetech.net/img/news/makerfaire13/tablefull2.jpg help at all? I see the following titles:
- Guestbook
- Internet
- High School Math, Science, Games
- CAS Calculators
- Floppy Drive Music
- Networking

Are you asking more about the full text that will go on the individual displays in the list you posted above?
Correct I am asking about the full text on them. Tonight on hcwp I would like to talk about the final design for some of the displays/color/main look for them. I have ideas in my head but confirmation and other opinions are more then appreciated!
geekboy1011 wrote:
Correct I am asking about the full text on them. Tonight on hcwp I would like to talk about the final design for some of the displays/color/main look for them. I have ideas in my head but confirmation and other opinions are more then appreciated!
Just to summarize what we discussed on HCWP:
- Wood backings for each display, with wood triangles to incline each display. Our foamcore displays had a similar layout.
- Plexiglass fronts for the displays that are not interactive, like the GPS demo and the networking demo.
- Geekgirl (Emily) suggested printing out the descriptions for each display and putting them in cheap dollar-store picture frames, which I thought sounded cool. Other ideas included printing the descriptions on transparencies and laminating descriptions printed on paper.
Can I hang out at your booth?
allynfolksjr wrote:
Can I hang out at your booth?
Absolutely; we'd love to have you. Our allotment of four people has been consumed with elfprince, qazz42, geekboy, and me, so I don't think we'd have the proper room for you at the table, sadly. Perhaps next year?
Maybe next year then! Very Happy
Well, I'm sure he'd be able to swing in and take over for anyone who wants to wander the fair and see the other booths as well. No one can say no to nikky Smile
Do you require any extra software demos?
As of the moment I don't think so? I need to polish up the guestbook but that seems to be the only thing that needs work unless we want to get a cse specific display going?
Did you just turn tr1p1ea's offer to make something amazing awesomely rad? Because that's what he does.
tr1p1ea wrote:

Might be fun to have some fancy graphics stuff.
tr1p1ea wrote:
If you wanted to make a cool TI-84+CSE demo[scene] program, that would be pretty neat, but I know that's a tall order. Other than that, I think we have everything we need, save figuring out why the Guestbook was a bit flaky last year.
*bump* Here are the transcripts from my bag-o-boards:

Main vertical board wrote:
Graphing calculators are the perfect ubiquitous, portable, cheap, low-power platform to learn programming skills and the basics of hardware hacking.

Demonstrations
  1. Calculator Networking
    "Flourish" demo running over the CALCnet 2.2 network protocol, written in z80 assembly.
  2. Calculators+Internet
    "CALCnet Chat!" client connected to Internet Relay Chat (IRC)
  3. Guestbook
    Internet-connected calculator fetches guestbook entries. Go to http://cemete.ch/mf13 now to sign, and your entry will show up on this calculator.
  4. Floppy Drive Music
    Monophonic music with a TI-83+ and a floppy drive.
  5. Ultimate Calculator 2
    TI-83+ modded with touchpad, RGB backlight, paint job, and PS/2 port.
  6. CAS Calculators
    Three of the latest and most powerful college calculators, great for math, less popular for coding.

Interactive
  1. High School Math, Coding, Gaming
    Popular modern calculator for math, gaming, and programming. Feel free to give them a try!
  2. Reference Books
    "Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus" & "Using the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus". Don't hesitate to flip through to see what you could make your calculator do.

Guestbook wrote:
This internet-connected calculator will instantly fetch and display Maker Faire guestbook entries from http://cemete.ch/mf13

Internet wrote:
Internet via globalCALCnet (gCn)
> Web browsing: Gossamer 1.0
> Internet Relay Chat (IRC) ---------------------->
> FTP: Sandpaper 0.8
> CALCnet calc-to-calc gaming over the internet
> More!
Chat with me! #cemetech on irc.efnet.net

Play Games wrote:

24KB RAM . \
2MB Flash |---->
96x64 LCD /

Browse
[+] and [-] to scroll
[arrow] to move cursor
[2nd] to click

Most Games
[2nd] to select or shoot
[ALPHA] for secondary functions
[CLEAR]/[MODE] to quit

High School Math, Coding, Games wrote:
Four panes, left to right:

Leftmost two panes: TI-84 Plus Silver Edition (Pink, 2008)
Released 2004, upgrade to TI-83 Plus/Silver Edition models. 15MHz z80 processor, 24KB RAM, 1.5MB user Archive, 4x AAA batteries, 96x64-pixel monochrome LCD.

Third from left: Casio Prizm
Released 2010, first color calculator. 58-100MHz, 16MB Archive, 4xAAA batteries, 320x240 color LCD

Rightmost: TI-84+CSE
Released 2013, 15MHz CPU, 21KB RAM, 4MB Archive, Rechargeable battery, 320x240 color LCD

The remaining boards have no text on them, including Ultimate Calculator 2, CAS Calculators, and Networking.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours