Please sign this petition!
I sign this petition.
 8%  [ 1 ]
I no not agree with this so I will not click any of the options.
 91%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 12

I Have gotten a little board of the just plain text posts on Cemetech. So I have decided to start a petition to have Cemetech add some simple bb code tags. None of them would involve input of any code and should not be exploitable to the best of my knowledge.

the first would be a BG-Image tag. This would have a format similar to this "[bgimg=url]Content[/bgimg]". If the image was smaller than the content then the image would stay its normal size, otherwise it would strech to 10px bigger then the content on all sides.

The second would be a mouse over tag. This one would allow the content enclosed int the tag to change when the content was moused over. It could have a format similar to this: "[mouseover] mouse not over content[:split:]mouse over content[/mouseover]". This could be used for a variety of different reasons including but not limited to, animations, interactive links, and captcha codes.

PS. please only vote on the poll if you are signing the petition. Thanks! Very Happy
We're not going to add either of those tags.
merthsoft wrote:
We're not going to add either of those tags.
As I already stated on IRC, and reaffirmed by my esteemed colleague, there's too much potential for abuse there. Not going to happen.
If enough people like it why not. you can abuse any of the tags we already have here. these are not different. they can not be exploted as far as I know and are perfectly safe to use
spud2451 wrote:
If enough people like it why not.
IRC wrote:
[14:18:51] <@saxjax> (C) [spud2451] hey Kerm you should add a syle tag to the forms. of course you could have an option to turn it off so people dont spam your topic. or you could ebent make it so just the head post can be styled not any other posts. mostly for "Product" pages
[14:19:11] <@saxjax> (C) [spud2451] even*
[14:20:31] <@saxjax> (C) [spud2451] style*
[14:20:51] <@saxjax> (C) [spud2451] or even just a bgimage tag
[14:21:09] <@tifreak> Don't really see it as important
[14:21:13] <@tifreak> Or needed

[14:21:12] <@saxjax> (C) [spud2451] that i thing would be really cool
[14:21:52] <@saxjax> (C) [spud2451] and maybe a mouse over tag so when you mouse over it you have it change text
[14:22:32] <@saxjax> (C) [spud2451] I would just like some variety in the posts other than text
[14:25:05] <@KermM> That would be a really terrible idea, as demonstrated by your project. User-settable styles pave the way to obnoxious posts full of huge text and images, weird coloring, and at worst, exploits and abuse
[14:25:22] <@KermM> It's powerful when used correctly, yes.
[14:25:27] <@KermM> But most users won't use it correctly.

[14:26:07] <CVBackup> ^
[...]
[14:27:09] <Runer112> http://www.reddit.com/r/ooer

spud2451 wrote:
you can abuse any of the tags we already have here.
The text size tag only allows specific sizes, the image tag rejects dynamic images without some RewriteMod effort on the user's part, HTML tags are discarded, there are no animated tags and minimal animated emoticons, the only embeds allowed are YouTube videos and even then under controlled circumstances, and so on. We've gone out of our way to ensure that posts will not differ vastly from the overall Cemetech style that you're "board" of.
you can abuse any of the tags we already have here. these are not different. they can not be exploted as far as I know and are perfectly safe to use
spud2451 wrote:
If enough people like it why not. you can abuse any of the tags we already have here. these are not different. they can not be exploted as far as I know and are perfectly safe to use

spud2451 wrote:
you can abuse any of the tags we already have here. these are not different. they can not be exploted as far as I know and are perfectly safe to use
Good thing you posted the same thing twice; now I'm convinced!
All you have to do is add some restrictions to the tags. Like maybe how you automatically resize images that are too big. The Bgimg tag could only have a picture as big as 200x200 or the mouse over tag could only have a char length of 100.
spud2451 wrote:
All you have to do is add some restrictions to the tags. Like maybe how you automatically resize images that are too big. The Bgimg tag could only have a picture as big as 200x200 or the mouse over tag could only have a char length of 100.
I'll play ball for a bit. What constructive, positive use cases do you envision for a background image tag?
Well I would love to make a link that looks like a button without having to make an image for every button. You could just have a single image for the button then the text could overlay the button making it look like they are one image. The mouse over tag can be used for all the stuff I listed above, and more.

Another suggestion for a tag would be an Ascii art tag that could display ascii art with out the borders of the code tag or the syntax highlighting. One more tag could be a unicode char/HTML entity tag. this could be something like "{&#9608}" and would display "█"

Edit: also on the topic of the bgimg and mouse over tags. You could use them to create a post designer for cemetech. this would allow for you to make some pretty cool stuff
I think it has been clear for the last few years that Cemetech encourages clean posts free of overly flashy and bandwidth-intensive images and try to keep their site design as clean as possible. Even Omni has been trying to cut down on flashy material in recent years, especially signatures, which used to fit an entire screen, although for some reasons the [glow] tag has been enabled (permission error?).

I saw a forum before that allowed users to use CSS to stylize their post boxes with custom backgrounds and formating and it was incredibly hard to read. I seriously don't want Cemetech to start having cyan text on yellow background.
@dj The reason the glow tag is enabled is because well its a new feature of smf2.0 and we honestly have not gotten around to actually cleaning up and fixing the bbcode tags >.> you know priorities? <.<

Also agreed with Kerm et al. It is a bad idea I've been active members on forums with such. Quite frankly its annoying and whilst yes it lets the person personalize there content. It just makes the forum to busy to be productive. Especially on places like cemetech and omnimaga where the focus is content. Not random bullsh*t.
This isn't omnimaga, where status bars, clutter, and general chaos reign supreme. The goal isn't to have 1,000KB of HTML markup and images for each post and its subsequent reply.
The people have spoken, 7 to 1, and we all agree that Cemetech is about content, not about flashy styling hiding a lack of content. We will not be implementing the requested features.
"Abstain."

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours