Which would you like to see in the next contest (please read below for descriptions)
Finisher
 25%  [ 5 ]
Simulator
 15%  [ 3 ]
Group Project
 15%  [ 3 ]
Video Clip Project
 5%  [ 1 ]
CSE Game (use of Tokens map editor)
 10%  [ 2 ]
Sprite Usage
 30%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 20

Well, as most of us finish out our school year, and summer approaches, I think it's time to start thinking about another contest.
If you have any other ideas, Please post.

Finisher:
Finish a project you have originally started. Include when the project was abandoned, how far complete it was, original goal of project, ect

Simulator:
You could go a lot of different directions with this, you might limit to stuff like vehicles, or life, that sort of thing

Group Project:
2 or 3 people work together on a project (probably using SC3)

Video Clip Project:
Create a short video clip/ movie thing for the calc.

CSE Game:
Tile map, use Tokens.

Sprite Usage:
You're given a sprite sheet, make a game using the sprites. (I thought this might be really interesting.)
I Like finisher A LOT (*cough* Fiddle *cough*). I don't own a CSE so that would be a little hard to enter. simulators are always fun.

My idea would be a community judged, bot contest. Everyone makes a bot then we have a testing time on a separate IRC channel for people to play around with them. Then they have to choose one that is not theirs and the votes will be tallied.

My second idea is a program that has to be made with Source Coder or Token IDE.

My third is a contest to use my boa engine to make a game or anything else software related.

My fourth idea would be to make a contest based on calc utilities and libraries. This could be programs like Notify! or things like DCS libs. This would be about making them not using them.

Well... those are my ideas
The only one out of there that I could see working would be a CSE game, but I probably wouldn't have the requirement of making it Tile-map based. That said, that's basically what we did in the last contest, so I'm not so sure we want to do it again.

The sprite sheet one could potentially be really cool, but we'd need a really really good sprite sheet that lends itself to many different game ideas, and that is quite challenging, I think. Video clip is an interesting idea (a demo contest, as it were), but I think those have generally not worked out well in the past.

Finisher and simulator are both too vague. Group project requires people working in a group, and, for example, I wouldn't want to do that, so I can't imagine lots of people would.

Community-judged bot contest was done by Omnimaga a bit ago. I think it did alright, but probably wouldn't be something we'd do here, though I'm not entirely against the idea.

Requiring a program be made with a specific computer-side technology doesn't seem like a great idea to me. It's too vague. A Cemetech contest to use your specific engine probably wouldn't be something we'd do officially. A contest in which you utilize libraries is generally how we've gone about things in the past.

My idea is a non-math educational program. It's very open for interpretation but not too vague, benefits the community by getting more educational programs on the calc, and doesn't limit people based on what calc they have access to.
I am against a CSE compo because not everybody has a CSE (myself included).

My idea would be for another educational compo. Not necessarily physics (like last summer's), but perhaps chemistry.
Doom contest. Make the best version of Doom in 5 days Rolling Eyes
I like the animation idea. Definetely, space will be a large issue.
CSE game would be okay, but I don't think I will ever voluntarily buy a CSE. Too slow and unresponsive.
If it's a CSE contest i can't do it, but otherwise I will try so I have something to do. The video might also work for me because I do some very limited BASIC animation.
I do like the idea of a sprite game, where you are given the sprite sheet and must make a game using every one. It could help to prompt a lot of new creativity.
I say we should have a Pokemon game for the CSE with maps! But that's just me and Pokemon. Razz
That would be actually a very good contest. Anyone could make a map area from a certain part of the game. More points could be given for the complexity of the area.
Would like to point out for the benefit of everyone, this is far from official in any way. We are discussing behind the scenes on what we are going to do for our next contest, along with the possibility of prizes.

Since the TI graphing calculators are tools for education, we'll probably pull along those lines again, as we got some very impressive entries the last time we did that. We'll probably steer clear of math related entries, though that possibility isn't 100% cut out yet.

We'll post up an official topic for dates and possible prizes soon, once we have some things set in stone.
If it where a sprite game i would be willing to make the sprite sheet and then judge.
Maybe math games would be a good one? I think math and games seem to be the most common/best programs in the archives.
I like the sprite sheet idea a lot. The "finisher" is also a neat idea, but i don't see any way of actually judging it. That and projects that have been going on for years aren't likely to get finished in a month or two.

So my vote is the sprite sheet Smile
Just another suggestion... What about a "write your own simple programming language" contest. we could have three categories: joke languages, simple parsers, and full on compilers and interpreters.

The reason I say this is because we need a couple more languages for calcs. TI-BASIC is great but is too slow. Axe and ASM are fast but have a steeper learning curve. what im looking for is something with the ease if TI-Basic but the power of Axe or ASM. Even a Lua port for the 83+/84+ series would be great.
So something like a mix of Axe and/or BASIC and/or Hybrid BASIC?
EXACTLY!!!!
somthing like axxe but with out the pointer sh** and without the confusing data

PS. This is a show of excitement and is not meant to be spam.
It would be useful (not for me), considering that Axe is hard.

Not for me because I find Hybrid BASIC hard, and can't really do any BASIC
You'll learn, trust me, it just takes time.
Let's try this again:

tifreak8x wrote:
Would like to point out for the benefit of everyone, this is far from official in any way. We are discussing behind the scenes on what we are going to do for our next contest, along with the possibility of prizes.

Since the TI graphing calculators are tools for education, we'll probably pull along those lines again, as we got some very impressive entries the last time we did that. We'll probably steer clear of math related entries, though that possibility isn't 100% cut out yet.

We'll post up an official topic for dates and possible prizes soon, once we have some things set in stone.

It's already been decided, we are doing something education based, and steering clear of math specific things. We won't be doing some form of new interpreted language, that would leave people out of the contest.
spud2451 wrote:
EXACTLY!!!!
somthing like axxe but with out the pointer sh** and without the confusing data.

Pointers are what allows you to do everything in Axe so I guess they have to be there. And what's confusing in data ?
Moreover, nothing prevents you from never using pointers nor data, just write your sprites with pxl-on. It'll be slower but it'll work. And then when you understand data you can use it. Absolutely no learning curve.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours