Hi, I'm new to assembly and have a little question. wich assembler should I use and why?
What are the pro and cons for each assembler?

Also sorry for my bad English.
Ok Personally I use brass. But I will list the pros and cons to each in my opinon,

Brass:

-Feature rich
    -decent macro support
    -support for the ti applications built in

-Slightly Slower
    -issues with app signing
    -may have random issues and no more support to fix them

Spasm:

-Fast
    -Highly extensable macros

-occasionally buggy
    -crashes occasionally in recent builds

Ok I know that makes spasm to be the obvious bad choice. But when it does work its powerful you can do some crazy stuff and make it look like magic

Brass on the other hand has some really cool features that make your code look cleaner flow smoother and just generally keep the headaches away. The major issue with brass is there is no real tutorial for its features. You just read its docs and that's what you get. But once you understand them they are really useful.

All in all its really up to you. Brass is in my opinion the better choice for larger projects that need to be kept organized and maintainable. Where spasm is great for those little gems where you need to just hammer something out using its macros to make it do something an assembler was never meant todo.

My suggestion Use brass. But they both work well and really its up to you.
In the end it generally boils down to personal preference. I personally have a great deal of experience with Brass, and I find it to be powerful and full-featured. I use Brass in the Doors CS 7 SDK and the Doors CSE 8 SDK, so if you're developing TI-83+/SE, TI-84+/SE, or TI-84+CSE programs, I recommend you try one of those two SDKs. They'll let you create Doors CS and nostub ASM programs pretty easily.
Thanks for both of you, I will take a look in the Doors CS 7 SDK beacuse its for the ti-84+.
Sounds like a good plan to me and if you have any questions feel free to ask both on the forum and on SAX we are more then willing to help Very Happy
I've never known spasm to crash, the only gripe i really have with it is that unless you add in parentheses it will process expressions from left to right, so 5+3*2 i believe will evaluate to 16 (that is, (5+3)*2). I personally love spasm, it's super fast, powerful, open source, and super tiny (my spasm executable is 124kb). Especially when you start getting into larger projects you'll really appreciate its speed Smile

Though as has been said many times before, the most important thing, at least when you're getting started, is to get something that works. Fortunately, that's much simpler now than when many of us started back when TASM was the assembler of choice (coupled with Devpac)! Later on you'll get an idea of what features you really want and can work from there, though what will most likely happen is that you'll stick with whatever you start with Wink

Welcome and i hope to see you stick around!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours