WTF happened to my adminship?! Mad
jpez wrote:
WTF happened to my adminship?! Mad

ummm....how do you say this tactfully? ahh....lets...see...talk to Kerm....
Maybe this will answer questions.
please dont make me explain this....although the previous link should explain pretty well. I thought Kerm was going to explain it in the new news article.
It was voted in an impartial, anonymous poll to at least temporarily remove your adminship due to recent happenings. I had no say in it, since I have to be an impartial webmaster. I'm disappointed that it happened, but I imagine you'll get reinstated eventually.
well, congrats elfprince!

(and btw, reupload your file at CH... the script hasnt emailed me again, so you must not've reuploaded it Razz)
alex10819 wrote:
well, congrats elfprince!

(and btw, reupload your file at CH... the script hasnt emailed me again, so you must not've reuploaded it Razz)

oh...what was the problem with that anyway the first time?
Elfprince - I'll post up that news article that we talked about some time tomorrow, to keep the customary spacing between articles and also to give me a chance to write it as well as possible.
okay.
KermMartian wrote:
It was voted in an impartial, anonymous poll to at least temporarily remove your adminship due to recent happenings. I had no say in it, since I have to be an impartial webmaster. I'm disappointed that it happened, but I imagine you'll get reinstated eventually.
Kerm, I'm sorry, but that's total bullshít in so many ways I don't know where to start.

First, there's the fact that I really did nothing wrong. I have the right to express my opinion and was given your assurance that you would respect that. The fact that I generated some controversey because I "flamed" some n00b who was out of place does not constitute wrongdoing on my part.

Second, you acted retroactively on a policy that was not in place when I committed the "crime" in question, which is really not fair to me or anyone else accused of doing something wrong.

Third, I was never notified or warned of the demotion before it happened. Instead, you secretly held some sort of meeting in which I was apparently convicted without my knowledge. Do I not have the right to confront my accusers?

Fourth, the system you used to determine my fate was fúcked up to say in the least. An anonymous impartial vote to determine adminship?! That's ridiculous. The role of the administrator is to act against the impulses of his constituents to maintain order in the forums, not be voted out of office by them. Since an administrator is appointed by you, then it makes no sense to put that decision in the hands of those who need adminning.

I would strongly urge you to reconsider your decision.
As an impartial observer, I'd just like to comment in that the process in which he was demoted was very haphazardly done. From what it sounds like, he had little self defense and was reduced without being contacted. On a related note, punishment like this is nothing short of censorship, and in many ways this forum has progressed from a easy going free exchange of ideas to something that fiercely defends all members, even to the detriment to others who might be commenting upon them. I'd like to say that I completely support JPez; he really deserves better. Everyone else should be ashamed of treating such an excellent member like what has occurred.

The points he brings up are all valid ones; he was persecuted under a rule that had yet to be posted or announced. To punish him the way you did is insane and smells strongly like you with to find a scapegoat and engage in a witchhunt.

This has been an entirely disspointing affair.
I agree. Jpez was just expressing his opinion (as harsh as he was), and he has a right to do that. Also, as Jpez touched on, the fact that he was convicted of a crime that wasn't illegal until after he committed it makes him completely innocent in the US because of a certain Ex Post Facto clause in the constitution.

Now, I'm not completely siding with Jpez either. I see how what he did made some people feel upset, but he has a right to his opinions and he should have the freedom to express those as he pleases. I respect your hesitation to censor on your site, Kerm (as I believe censorship is the first step towards dictatorship), but you have to make the final verdict. It should be your vote, as hard as it may be to cast, that should determine if Jpez keeps his admin rights or not.

I always admired Jpez. I found his intelligence and brutal honesty enviable. This whole incident was blown out of proportion. I can't believe it has come to this. It's almost laughable how we went from suggesting (harshly, but none the less suggesting) that BPC should make some programs and learn the language to the point where they are at least proficent at it before they go to other forums and post about how good they are. I'm fairly certain that if BPC's first post would have been more like, "Greetings, we are a new programming group. We have come to this forum in search of help and advice for our programs so that we can improve upon them. Do you know of any good tutorials out there that are especially helpful. Thank you in advance." that Jpez's reaction would have been more positive and this whole thing wouldn't have happened.

Kerm think of what is happening here. You are threatening to ban people for essentially voicing their opinion. I hope this post doesn't warrant any bannation on my part, but if it does I will take it as a martyr for the cause of freedom of speech.
Chipmaster wrote:
I agree. Jpez was just expressing his opinion (as harsh as he was), and he has a right to do that. Also, as Jpez touched on, the fact that he was convicted of a crime that wasn't illegal until after he committed it makes him completely innocent in the US because of a certain Ex Post Facto clause in the constitution.

Exactly, but do keep in mind that only protects citizens against state and federal intervention. Private parties are allowed to do what they wish, however wrong it may be.

Chipmaster wrote:
I always admired Jpez.

As have I, he seems to be the most intelligent and outspoken member here. Silencing the other side is asinine and results not in freer debate, but much more restrained feeling. I thought the goal here was to keep the intelligent, not scare them away.

Chipmaster wrote:
This whole incident was blown out of proportion.

This forum is quickly being transformed into omnimaga: where the opposing voice is quickly quelled and banned. The result is a dry and boring forum where one side is the only one heard.

Chipmaster wrote:
Kerm think of what is happening here. You are threatening to ban people for essentially voicing their opinion. I hope this post doesn't warrant any bannation on my part, but if it does I will take it as a martyr for the cause of freedom of speech.

...and just when I was beginning to think this wasn't such a bad place after all. Way to alienate members Kerm, it certainly reflects upon the atmosphere of this forum. I think your actions have had much greater consequences to the overall nature of the board than what JPez ever did.
for obvious reasons, Im not gonna take sides here, however, before you start attacking Kerm, please realise that you missed a long conversation in the SAX thing and if Im not mistaked several other private conversations. Jpez was also asked in varying degrees of politeness to stop before it came to this.

on the other hand, JPez is usually a pretty nice guy and there is nothing wrong with being outspoken if you can refrain from offensiveness. He should also have been given a chance to defend himself before this happened

while the BPC issue was blown out of proportion, both sides blew it there. Bashing and flaming is never acceptable, criticism is. from my point of view it seemed that there was indeed flaming going on especially in the later stages. If we want new community members to develop we can't scare them off before they get a chance to learn. if we dont want to alienate more experienced members, we have to teach the newer members how to ask questions sensibly. This takes maybe one or two warnings in most cases. being polite costs you nothing, and allowing a new member one or two slipups is a great thing to do.

finally, in any community, the governing body must walk a fine line between censorship and allowing everything to be said.

Jpez was not censored. his posts were not deleted. he can still post. however he was slightly disrespectful and ignored several requests from Kerm prior to the rules being instated for him to "tone it down".

Jpez was (and hopefully will be again) an admin of this site, however I think (as did Kerm and Tifreak) that his behavior was unbecoming of an admin.

Censorship is one thing, asking people to abide by a few rules is another. if Cemetech wishes to maintain a positive image, it must be a polite place.
if it is to stay an epicenter of development, it must not alienate the status quo of advanced programmers. I hope that this can be successfully resolved, and that Cemetech can successfully walk that line now and in the future.

--elfprince13
elfprince13 wrote:
for obvious reasons, Im not gonna take sides here

Funny, I see you taking a side in the post that follows that comment.
elfprince13 wrote:
please realise

Although both spellings are technically correct, "realize" is the most commonly used, and generally considered the correct spelling.
elfprince13 wrote:
missed a long conversation in the SAX thing

If I missed that, I truly apologize; I don't spend my entire life on a little-known calculator forum staring at a box in the margin.
elfprince13 wrote:
He should also have been given a change to defend himself before this happened

Change into what?
elfprince13 wrote:
Jpez was not censored. his posts were not deleted. he can still post. however he was slightly disrespectful and ignored several requests from Kerm prior to the rules being instated for him to "tone it down".

The use of power is being used to restrain free expression (in the form of a demotion, or in the worse case: banning). Is that not the definition of censorship?
elfprince13 wrote:
Jpez was (and hopefully will be again) an admin of this site, however I think (as did Kerm and Tifreak) that his behavior was unbecoming of an admin.

Now then, "behavior unbecoming of an admin[istrator]." An administrator's role in a site is not to be a moral signpost or guideline, but keep it maintained and functional. Perhaps you meant to say moderator?
elfprince13 wrote:

if it is to stay an epicenter of development, it must not alienate the status quo of advanced programmers.

Next time you attempt to use advanced words and phrases, could you please make sure that it makes sense to read? When you attempt to inflate your intelligence the end result is just the opposite of what you originally intended.

On a closing note, I think that you're very out of line to comment about this situation, elfprince13, in as much detail and bias as you have. You benefit from the resolution, and this is clearly a conflict of interest. Perhaps this is an action "unbecoming of an admin?"
Now, the funny thing is, I am siding with jpez here a bit.

I don't think what he said was right or true. Maybe he had a point but we all know he overemphasized it a shitload.

However, he's right. This rule wasn't in place when he started doing it. The court of law, when trying a case years later, uses the law present at the time of the crime. Of course, I have no say, but seeing as I am the one who was affected, it may influence it.

Should he continue to harp on me over and over for similar reasons, I'm not against banning him from admin. But this is just not right.
@allynfolksjr: realise that I typed that at 2 AM and was not entirely awake.

second, you can't claim conflict of interest as I was already a temporary administrator for several weeks before birdman even showed up here.

secondly, I attempted to make that post as unbiased as possible

Quote:
Now then, "behavior unbecoming of an admin[istrator]." An administrator's role in a site is not to be a moral signpost or guideline, but keep it maintained and functional. Perhaps you meant to say moderator?

the behavior of the admins reflects on how the site is viewed.

finally, not many people do spend multiple hours a do on calculator sites. I do which is probably why Im an now an admin. Make sure you have *all* the info before you start wildly throwing out accusations.
Hold on just one second. Chip: you were urging me to stop JPez from trashing birdman. Birdman: wtf? I thought you were angry at him too. :/ Fine, reinstatement it is. GAH I hate politics. Crying

Actually, I deadmined him because it seemed everyone was turning against me and censuring me for not stopping Jpez. Now that I see you people aren't completely set against him, he shall get reinstated. And I did think it was kinda unfair to make that rule retroactive (ex de facto, anyone?), so hopefully we've gotten this all straightened out with no harsh feelings? Birdman - I doubt that JPez will cease flaming you though. Very Happy
and they all lived happily ever after. Very Happy
So does anyone want me to remove that flame rule, or what? I really do hate to censor stuff.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours