merthsoft wrote:
Do you have a suggestion for which book to start with?
I've been covering the Revelation Space universe, so I'd say start with Revelation Space and proceed in order of publishing. At the moment I'm nearing the end of Absolution Gap.
KermMartian wrote:
:: Find and read plenty of good books.

Wool by Hugh Howey is amazing.
http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Hugh-Howey/dp/1476733953/ref=tmm_pap_title_0
Don't really have any goals but I do have some projects and events going on!

Since my plan to drive from NY to CA fell through I'm taking a road trip to San Diego and back. It's a short trip, a full day there, but it'll be fun. On my way back I'll be driving alone and plan to stop occasionally for photos and to catch up with friends, and possibly CVSoft!

I'm photographing a college graduation and a wedding 7 days apart - with the road trip in between. No more gigs currently lined up though. In talks is a camping/beach/hike trip before one of my friends moves down to San Diego for college in August. She wants this summer to be fantastic and I and friends will deliver.

Change of Goal, May 20th:
I planned on installing an OEM Nav & Backup camera but it's appearing that the Nav head unit is more than I intended to spend (~2x) on the endeavor as a whole. So instead I'll likely pocket the money toward a vacation or a telescope.
Because I tend to become unexpectedly busy or suddenly lose motivation sometimes, I did not set myself any goal for this Summer. I have taken a break from music for now, but we never know. I would like to do some work on a new calc game, though.
spud2451 wrote:
Programming and Hacking:
1. Make my first 3D game
2. Finish and optimize the Boa game engine.
3. Learn ASM.
4. Release at least 1 more game on Desura

Non-programming and Hacking:
1. WORK!!!
2. Hang out with friends
3. Read more
4. Finish my Minecraft city, Morenwald
5. Buy a desktop computer.

And I'll help you with Morenwald
How is everyone doing with their summer goals? I started making some progress on mine:

Non-Programming/Hacking
:: Complete 14-week summer internship with IBM Watson -> Got oriented, finished my first two weeks
:: Complete a new appendix to "Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus" that covers the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition. -> Started writing this, although Doors CSE stalled me

Programming/Hacking
:: Publish Doors CS 7.3 and Doors CSE 8.1. -> Doors CSE 8.1 is nearly ready for a Release Candidate release
:: Finish PartyMode 2 once and for all. -> PartyMode 2 is done! I just need to finish documenting it.
I have a seecret project going on. Look for it on next week's HCWP. Started mainly because I haven't been doing a lot of coding outside of work.
AHelper wrote:
I have a seecret project going on. Look for it on next week's HCWP. Started mainly because I haven't been doing a lot of coding outside of work.
I hear that; a real 9-5 job that involves coding is great at sapping one's motivation for extra-curricular programming, I have found. Things like Minecraft and socializing start to look much more attractive than side projects, at least to me. Smile

Edit: Of course, I can't wait to see what your project is on HCWP!
*8-4:30, indeed. Clearly MC is a good choice considering the fact that the 1.6 server is up and running.
AHelper wrote:
*8-4:30, indeed. Clearly MC is a good choice considering the fact that the 1.6 server is up and running.
For me it's 7am to 7pm, if you count my commute, and I've only been halfheartedly productive on the commute. MC is indeed a good choice, but it always leaves me feeling like I've wasted time I could have put towards productive projects.
KermMartian wrote:
For me it's 7am to 7pm, if you count my commute, and I've only been halfheartedly productive on the commute. MC is indeed a good choice, but it always leaves me feeling like I've wasted time I could have put towards productive projects.

Kerm: I'm afraid I'd have to agree with you there and this is why I don't frequent the cemetech MC server. I don't think I could ever go back to playing minecraft for prolonged periods of time. I'd rather be doing stuff or making stuff.

Despite my summer holidays not starting yet, I feel I have made some good progress, thus the list could expand very soon!

My progress so far:

Non-Hacking:

:: Do some work experience at Pimoroni
:: Read some good books
:: Go geocaching some more

Hacking & Programming:

:: Make as much progress as I possibly can on WAti, especially since it has dawned on me that it will soon be the project's one year anniversary.
:: Get a few little programming projects done and posted onto my BitBucket. <- I posted ardu-die and TImage to BitBucket, but I have a few more ideas, one of which involves a Wiimote.
:: Gain a better understanding of C and play with my arduino in the process. <- I feel much more comfortable after creating ardu-die. I just need to explore pointers now.
:: Gain some sort of competence with the Kivy Framework. <- I've been playing with GTK+ 3 at the moment. I understand how event based systems work a bit better now, so this should stand me in good stead for using kivy.
Progress:

:Continue working on VVVVVV -> yup, and now I'm working on an nspire version as well
:Enter whatever contests I can -> still no contests D:
:Get a job or internship -> I tried, but nope.
:Get an Nspire CX CAS or TI-84+CSE -> Got an Nspire CAS, grayscale
:Take Calc II -> Got the Nspire for this
elfprince13 wrote:

Non-Programming/Hacking:

• Wedding stuff (reserve a location, figure out guest lists, figure out photographer, send out "save the date" cards)
  • Play a lot of summer-league ultimate so I can make the B team here at Brown for next season.
  • Do some rock climbing.
  • Read all of the "Song of Ice and Fire" novels.

Programming/Hacking:

• Work on the compiler for my research comps project
  • FreeBuild
  • Assorted calculator projects
  • Publish an iOS/Android game based on an interactive construction of an inequality prover in one of my advisor's papers.

Progress report:

Non-Programming/Hacking:

• Wedding stuff (reserve a location, figure out guest lists, figure out photographer, send out "save the date" cards)
    • Location almost reserved
    • Guest list pretty much settled
    • Two photographers identified and talked to.

• Play a lot of summer-league ultimate so I can make the B team here at Brown for next season.
    • My RIPUL team has a record of 3-3, with a point differential of -5 on the season.

• Read all of the "Song of Ice and Fire" novels.

• I read Game of Thrones on my way up to VT a couple weeks ago and started a Clash of Kings, took a short break while Courtney was here, then watched the first season. Finished Clash of Kings last weekend, then read Storm of Swords middle of this week, and Feast for Crows yesterday, 100 pages into Dance with Dragons

Programming/Hacking:
Nothing to see here, move along.
I thought I had posted in here, but apparently not.

Mainly I'm trying to get CBLM ready for release before August comes around, since I see potential for this project to actually see some use if it lives up to my expectations.
Quote:
In terms of coding:
- Finish AB5 v2. This is definitely achievable and I'll be disappointed if I don't get it done. It's moving along at a good pace though. I'm still struggling with the link play though, so I'm not sure if I'll have that ready in v2, but I've recently added a bunch more features that I hadn't intended on doing, so that will make me content for now Smile
- Continue experimenting with what might possibly be my next TI-84+CSE project. If I can achieve decent enough performance, I'll start planning this out for hopefully a release next year sometime.
- AB5 v2 development has slowed somewhat, but is still creeping along. I need to get off my backside and do some screenshots of the latest stuff I've done on it!
- I haven't physically done anything 84+CSE related, although ideas & coding methods are still simmering in my mind.

Quote:
In terms of non-coding:
- Get as many skydives in as possible. Given that it's coming into winter here - and that I can only jump on weekends when the weather isn't too bad - I'm hoping I can get another 20 or so jumps in, which will get me to 40. Then as the weather improves, I can start smashing out more, hopefully to get to 100 by end of the year!
- Eat better and exercise more again. I'm normally pretty good at this, I've just gotten lazy over the last month or so.
- Get my bands' debut album released.
- I'm nearly up to 30 jumps, I should hit 40 next month sometime (weather permitting, it's winter over here hah!)
- I have been eating somewhat better and started exercising again, not as much as I'd like, but it's progress Razz
- Still a work in progress!
A further progress update on my summer:

Non-Programming/Hacking
:: Complete 14-week summer internship with IBM Watson -> Finished my first six weeks out of 14. Completed one substantial progress, starting the "main" project for the next 8 weeks.
:: Complete a new appendix to "Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus" that covers the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition. -> Made further progress on this, although it's still dragging along

Programming/Hacking
:: Publish Doors CS 7.3 and Doors CSE 8.1. -> Doors CSE 8.1 is done. Doors CS 7.3 is nearly ready but insufficiently tested.
:: Finish PartyMode 2 once and for all. -> Done, documented, and published!
comicIDIOT wrote:
Don't really have any goals but I do have some projects and events going on!

Since my plan to drive from NY to CA fell through I'm taking a road trip to San Diego and back. It's a short trip, a full day there, but it'll be fun. On my way back I'll be driving alone and plan to stop occasionally for photos and to catch up with friends, and possibly CVSoft!

I'm photographing a college graduation and a wedding 7 days apart - with the road trip in between. No more gigs currently lined up though. In talks is a camping/beach/hike trip before one of my friends moves down to San Diego for college in August. She wants this summer to be fantastic and I and friends will deliver.

Updates for me as well!

The money from the Graduation & Wedding gig filled two of my photography work related financial goals and bought a 10TB NAS server and a 1500VA UPS. Another few gigs will complete a goal for a monitor and I'll be able to move from my TV as my main monitor. I've been saving up for a desk outside of the money earned from photography so that's where I'll move my operations to.

The road trip to and from San Diego was a blast. Didn't meet up with anyone sadly but randomly bought a bonsai tree on my way home. Probably the most regrettable 70 bucks I've spent but not the worst.

Beach camping trip got canned because her boyfriend injured his knee. Currently rethinking what we can do.
I'm sorry to hear that the beach camping trip got planned, but it sounds like things are going well professionally. Smile I can't imagine that you'd regret buying such an awesome bonsai tree! I suspect in a year or two, you'll say you're happy you have it sitting in your house.
KermMartian wrote:
I can't imagine that you'd regret buying such an awesome bonsai tree! I suspect in a year or two, you'll say you're happy you have it sitting in your house.

That's why I regret it. The sales guy on the side of the road said it was an indoor tree and would need at least 10 hours of direct sunlight a week. Figure I'll check out /r/Bonsai and in the side bar says it's an out door tree and all this stuff. So, I made a topic and it's definitely an out door tree. I wanted an indoor tree for my room but I'll have to see how it goes with this one in the meantime. If I keep it alive for more than 3 years and it gets healthier (has some brown patches in the middle of branches) I'll look into a second tree.
Summer has begun for me! I've actually got some new goals to add, considering I've done quite a lot of the others I set myself.

Obviously, there's still WAti to have a look at from the old list Smile, but I also have a few other programming things I'd like to do. Some build on the old goals, others are new goals.

:: Get all the code done for some social network notification lights <-I've made some good headway here.
:: Make some SMS analysis tools
:: Learn about pointers in C
:: Continue to play/experiment with GTK+3 <- I might have a look at Glade for building GUIs

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours