Uzbekistan
Vanuatu
Vatican City
Venezuela
Vietnam
Yemen
Zambia
Zimbabwe

Seems I had messed up at least 3 so far that I have found, a couple others that were noticed by others.
Why does Philippines have a backslash between the P h?
elfprince13 wrote:
Why does Philippines have a backslash between the P h?
This forces SourceCoder 3 and TokenIDE to not turn "Phi" into an uppercase Φ.
Ah, that makes sense. It seemed like an odd typo, but I thought I'd double check
Yeah, I need to update Tokens XML to need |Phi instead, just haven't gotten that far yet.

(Nice to see someone else looking through things :p )
Eqypt -> Egypt

Would Ethiopia need the slash as well?

Isreal isn't real... Israel
Electromagnet8 wrote:
Would Ethiopia need the slash as well?
Without the slash, it would turn into Ethioπi indeed; good catch there.
Got the border around the flags put in:

And while playing (check out that score!) I found this flag that looks rather nice:

Can't remember there being any other requests for the quiz, moving on to the database!
The border looks good, and the quiz seems solid to me. I think moving on to the database is a fair thing to do.
That begs the question on how I should do that.

I figure that a text listing is important, but, should I also offer image listing as well? I could easily put 9 flags on the screen at a time. However, it will take time to generate the flags, as can be seen in the screenshot

I might shoot to do both text and imagery, and let it switch between the two.. Something to contemplate.
In the last screenshot that you posted, there is an Exuador. However, in the code box it is correct as Ecuador.
One possible option for searching imagery quickly might be to index flags by color: pick out the <=3 prevalent colors in each flag, build a data structure listing those colors for each flags, and allow users to search for flags including (for example, red and white and blue.
Electromagnet8 wrote:
In the last screenshot that you posted, there is an Exuador. However, in the code box it is correct as Ecuador.

I had fixed it while fixing other things, however, the fixed appvar never made it in before the screenshot.

KermMartian wrote:
One possible option for searching imagery quickly might be to index flags by color: pick out the <=3 prevalent colors in each flag, build a data structure listing those colors for each flags, and allow users to search for flags including (for example, red and white and blue.

While that sounds like a good idea, something like that would take quite a while to build, and be slow about processing it unless I pretty much gave them the list of colors to choose from as presets for flag groups.
Yes, I definitely envisioned giving them a list of colors to choose from, but it would certainly be an annoying feature for you to implement. Do you have any alternate proposals for how the database search could work at the moment? Another thing I thought of was thumbnails drawn through clever manipulation of the AppVars (read every third pixel of every third row of the data, eg), but that sounds equally tough and/or slow to implement.
My only real thought was to do a paging system, to throw up 6 flags at a time, and set up a cursor/paging system to let you select each flag. Each flag selected would display the name on the bottom of the graph screen. Between that and the list of names, I don't really have any other options that I know I could program in that wouldn't take ages to have drawn to the screen. :<

What I managed to get working today. I'm thinking about having it set up so pressing Alpha switches over to an image view that you can view 6 flags at a time. Possibly 9, it just depends on the speed of the display. Is it really all that important to have an image view over just having the name view? I might have it so you can press left and right when viewing the flag, to go to the next one.. Thoughts?

I still need to make it select the name and give the image for it, which I'll probably steal the flag pole bit from the quiz, save myself some time that way.
Rather than [ALPHA], I think that a little on-screen button corresponding to [F5]/[GRAPH] labelled "Preview" or something would make the most sense. I'm not sure you need a way to scroll through all the flag images. Stealing the flagpole from the quiz sounds perfect to me.

Edit: Just tested it out; very impressive! I got 17/26 on the quiz, which I'm pretty happy with. I strongly recommend some kind of indication that the program hasn't frozen, especially when you select a flag from the country list. Even "Loading..." in the spot the flag appears, to get overwritten by the flag itself, would make me happy. While it doesn't add to the functionality of the program, I think it makes the user experience a little less frustrating. My other comment is that the menu items in the main menu are one pixel too close together: the white backgrounds and the gray backgrounds interfere with each other. Other than that, superb job, and I look forward to this being available.
The loading shouldn't be too bad to add in, I'll see about getting that in there.

And yeah, I saw that with the text, but it won't matter once they are finished and those functions look like the others anyways Smile

I'll see about adding that in real quick. Was there anything else? If that's it, I'll get that one bit added and dropped in the archives! Very Happy

Edit:

As per suggested:

Added in the Loading message, showed off the different working menu items. I think we're good to go! Smile
Great, that is much improved. I think we are indeed good to go!
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but what about an option to press A to jump to the first country starting with an A, pressing P to jump to the first P, etc.?

Also, good call Kerm on the "Loading..." text, it looks much better that way Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours