Considering the ticalc.org news is now red-bordered, I guess we can say happy april fools day and great job to respective admins for making this particular joke look realistic. Smile
DJ_O wrote:
Considering the ticalc.org news is now red-bordered, I guess we can say happy april fools day and great job to respective admins for making this particular joke look realistic. Smile

You'll notice the "Forums (Powered by Cemetech)" link is still there! Wink So April Fools in the ThinkGeek-something-might-actually-come-of-this-if-you-like-it-a-lot kind of way.
elfprince13 wrote:
DJ_O wrote:

You'll notice the "Forums (Powered by Cemetech)" link is still there! Wink So April Fools in the ThinkGeek-something-might-actually-come-of-this-if-you-like-it-a-lot kind of way.
What this guy said. Sadly, Nikky must continue his eternal lobby to become a Cemetech Administrator, which to me is the most unfortunate part of the "joke". Sad
Sorry about the technical difficulties regarding the news border colors. We'll get that sorted ASAP.
Yes, hiring nikky as asmin was SO CONVINSING as his title is "Kerm Sucks" and he always says stuff like "excuse me while I go kill Kerm" and stuff.</sarcasm> Anyway, nice april fools trick. Made me lol for a minute, then I thought about it some more...
But But But.. I thought that World Domination was in sight! Razz
Man, that nikky guy is the coolest.
OK, so I was taken in. Initially I thought it was a prank but it was so elaborate I was convinced.
However my reference to Windows 8.1 being possibly free was serious (I think) Smile Unless I have been taken in there too...
Heh, glad to hear we got some people legitimately fooled. For those who missed it, here are what ticalc.org (top) and Cemetech's forums (bottom) looked like:

So it was April fools? That would be cool if they combined.
I kinda liked the merge. quick access to the power of both sites.

but that is what tabs are for, aren't they?
Oh wow. I thought it was legit... Now I'm starting to think about how "TI bought Omnimaga"...
Oh, that was an April fools, says so on the homepage. I fell for both of them.
rw42 wrote:
Hah, you fell for TI buying Omnimaga? What commercial reason would TI have for that? Smile
I have no idea. I just did. I forgot it was April fools. Razz
KermMartian wrote:
rw42 wrote:
Hah, you fell for TI buying Omnimaga? What commercial reason would TI have for that? Smile

You can be sure that if that unlikely scenario happened for real, Eeems would try to charge as high as possible just to grab as much cash from TI as he can.

Also I just noticed: This year's Cemetech/Ticalc prank reminds me a bit of the TI-Planet vs Omnimaga name/theme swap last year, except that the name/theme swap prank was much less elaborate and not intended to be believable (also I think the Cemetech prank this year was a bit meant to poke a little fun at the premature Omnimaga upgrade). Razz

To be honest, though, I think the scariest prank ever was the Metroid C&D from Nintendo in 2005 on MaxCoderz, because they let it drag on for nearly a week before finally revealing that it's fake. Some people including myself who had calculator programs named after popular Nintendo franchises were considering updating those games with a name change.
DJ_O wrote:
(also I think the Cemetech prank this year was a bit meant to poke a little fun at the premature Omnimaga upgrade). Razz

Not so. The prank required simple .htaccess and formatting changes. We didn't upgrade the entire forum software to pull it off. Something like that would be in the process for a lot longer than this prank and would happen off-site until we were ready to make the swap Wink
Oh, I meant the comment about doing it right, unlike what happened elsewhere, and the fact that despite that comment, there were still bugs on the Ticalc theme Razz
I still think it'd be great for the archives to merge.
You guy really did fool me!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours