Do you hate Windows 8 because of Metro/ModernUI?
Yes
 16%  [ 1 ]
No
 66%  [ 4 ]
What's Metro/ModernUI?
 16%  [ 1 ]
Screw the desktop! I like Metro!
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Currently, I have absolutely no clue how to even start writing assembly, or, indeed, anything other than Basic. The goal of this project is to teach me those languages, and also to provide yet another (probably redundant) shell to the TI community (if I ever get finished.) The shell is inspired by ModernUI in Windows 8.1 (seriously, does everyone hate that except me? Tablets and cell phones are infernal devices devised by a computer-hater, but with a few registry tweaks their interface is tolerable and actually quite good in the case of ModernUI.)

When I am done with this project, I hope to have a shell that does not crash, but still has all of the endless developer options I like to use. And don't worry, Kerm. Doors needn't feel threatened. I won't be done with this for a long time.
Umm, do you want help with the color edition calc or the monochrome? The monochrome has many tutorials, but the color edition could use a good tutorial because I don't know how to do it either. Also, if you wanted to make a shell, I recommend a flash app, as I don't think it would be easy to make a shell with ASM.
truthfully, I hate windows vista and higher for taing so much control out of the user's hands. Windows 8 is even worse with this. however, Metro itself isnt all too bad. I think, as a long-term goal for your learning, this should be fine, though difficult. just dont expect nice results within just a couple of weeks.
Asian wrote:
Umm, do you want help with the color edition calc or the monochrome? The monochrome has many tutorials, but the color edition could use a good tutorial because I don't know how to do it either. Also, if you wanted to make a shell, I recommend a flash app, as I don't think it would be easy to make a shell with ASM.

Currently I think I'll start with the monochrome TI84+ SE. Because I don't have the other one. Smile
I hate Windows in general because it has a awful command-line, that's why I use Linux. If a OS doesn't have a good, UNIX-like, command-line I'm sorry, but I can't use it happily.

Since you've mentioned about writing a shell in Assembly, I would suggest you to start with something simpler first, make a few small test programs in Assembly and when you're confident you know enough, go for it.

I couldn't find any programs that you have submitted to the archives by looking at your profile, so I will assume you haven't developed anything publishable (is this a valid word?) yet. What is your experience with BASIC? It's very important to start with BASIC first, then move to Assembly, specially if you need to do floating point math or anything a bit more complex, since math isn't the most straightforward thing in Assembly.
I have written a lot of stuff in Basic actually, but haven't published it because of crashes, RAM clears, lack of satisfaction about my work, and of course perpetually dead batteries.

I recently downloaded some guides to better programming, and will be putting them on my calc if the batteries permit.

However, much of it is for Basic, not Assembly. I still haven't been able to start programming in anything other than basic because I have a lot of trouble finding instructions.
I would suggest you to try SourceCoder it'll be great for you. You'll be able to write and test your BASIC programs without having to use your calculator.

As I've said in the previous post, I highly encourage you to do a lot of BASIC and get good at it before diving into Assembly. When you decide to dive into it, try reading Learn TI-83 Plus Assembly In 28 Days. Again, Assembly is not easy, it's highly recommended that you start with BASIC before getting into it, otherwise you'll probably just get frustrated with the amount of topics to learn.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours