It was only this weekend that I was first introduced to Decimal Defender, an educational math game published by TI Education for the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus calculators (available for download on their site). You control a spaceship, numbers appear at the top, and a math problem involving multiplying or dividing a number by a power of 10 appears at the bottom. You need to shoot the spot where the decimal point should go. Each wrong answer loses you a life. I figured it would be a fun little xLIBC program to write, and educational to boot, so I have a tentative spritesheet and have started writing the game. I'll update this topic as I make progress.

Nice explosions so far Smile can't wait to see this progress!
Thanks tifreak; I appreciate the encouragement. Progress! Number of lives shown, ship shown and moveable, explosions improved, laser drawn.

Edit: Many improvements, including display of the problem you're working on and detection of right/wrong/loss conditions. Some problems are unsolveable because there's not enough space at the left. Multiplication problems are not recognized as correct.

On the unsolvable, any chance of shoving the numbers to the right to give the 0's priority? Looks fantastic, though Very Happy What kind of points system does it use?
tifreak8x wrote:
On the unsolvable, any chance of shoving the numbers to the right to give the 0's priority? Looks fantastic, though Very Happy What kind of points system does it use?
The readme for the original says the following for the points (which I have not implemented yet):
Quote:
You accumulate points for your combination of speed and
accuracy, as well as the difficulty of the operation. More points
are awarded when the operation is BOTH than when it is
MULTIPLICATION or DIVISION.
Yes, I plan to fix the unsolveable bug that way, even though it should already be doing that. I have been collecting a list of problems posed that created this issue. I added a main menu and a demo mode, and I also implemented a somewhat unorthodox hack of a half-sized xLIBC spritesheet.

*bump* Lots of updates!
- All problems are now solveable
- Most graphical glitches repaired
- Correct/Wrong shown after player shoots decimal point
- Correct solution shown if wrong solution indicated
- Bottom area spiffed up
- High score menu added
- Score tracking added
- High score saving and initial entry added
- Main menu expanded
- Lives reduced to 2

Remaining issues/features:
- Numbers of the form 0.00ABCD aren't displayed correctly in question
- Stars, including drawing during number rendering and during ship movement?
- Fix left side of ship sprite on dark backgrounds
- Beta-testing! Any volunteers?
- Questions or comments?

I'm sorry if this question doesn't belong here, but just wondering how you do the small text... I can't do anything but the large blocky text.
And great work! I don't think I've played the original on the 84+ but looks good. I really like the ship sprite. Nicely done as always Kerm.
Most of the text looks like it's just from xLIB. The numbers at the top are probably just sprites that he's drawing. I don't see any "small text".

Looks really good, Kerm. Great work Smile
Quite the list of features! Smile Looks awesome, can't wait to play it.
merthsoft wrote:
Most of the text looks like it's just from xLIB. The numbers at the top are probably just sprites that he's drawing. I don't see any "small text".

Looks really good, Kerm. Great work Smile
Thanks! As Merth says, most of the text is the standard xLIBC font. The exception is the big numbers at the top, which are a set of 10 digits in my spritesheet.

tifreak8x wrote:
Quite the list of features! Smile Looks awesome, can't wait to play it.
I may make you eat those words with some brief beta-testing today if you have the time for it. Smile

Edit:
- Numbers of the form 0.00ABCD aren't displayed correctly in question Done
- Stars, including drawing during number rendering and during ship movement? Done
- Fix left side of ship sprite on dark backgrounds Skipped
Looks very nice and fun to play. Also yeah I was wondering about those small fonts. I was sure at first that you just drew one column of pixel at a time, but skipping one and so on, or something like that.
I'm surprised that the font looks small to everyone, as it is indeed the default xLIBC font with no modifications. Also, I've released this game!

Download
Decimal Defender Color 1.0
Wow a nifty little gem ... and its educational too!

Nice work and it really does demonstrate the rapid prototyping->dev that you can do with DCS8.0 + SC.
tr1p1ea wrote:
Wow a nifty little gem ... and its educational too!

Nice work and it really does demonstrate the rapid prototyping->dev that you can do with DCS8.0 + SC.
I think you mean xLIBC + DCSE8.0 + SC Wink Much of this insanity would be entirely impossible without xLIBC, even though I'm very much abusing the two buffers in a way I don't think you intended. I'm happy with how it turned out, and I'm looking around to see if TI has any other monochrome edutaining games or purely educational programs I can port to more DCSE programs.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours