Wow, this just clicked into place for me; it's almost exactly like a DJNZ type of instruction in assembly! Thanks for helping me make that conceptual leap. Wink
I can't think of a better way than using DS<( to determine which points belong to the Mandelbrot set.
Weregoose wrote:
I can't think of a better way than using DS<( to determine which points belong to the Mandelbrot set.
Do you have any code for that?
No idea what that is but your welcome Kerm!!

I am confused on one thing. Does it add or subtrace one then test the variable .

For example

IS>(A,1)
Goto A
Goto B

Does it test if A = 1 then add 1 too it.
OR does it add 1 to A then Test if it equals 1.
"IS>(A,B)" and "A+1→A:If A≤B" are interchangable. The first argument's variable is adjusted, then the comparison is performed.

merthsoft wrote:
Do you have any code for that?

Code:
:A+Bi→C
:While 2I≥abs(Ans
:DS<(I,1
:Ans²+C
:End

I is the recursion depth. Yet as I write this, I imagine that a fixed viewport would require one setting for I, and the recurrence can be expanded accordingly.

...NOPE. The expressions are too convoluted for I>3.
My math teacher keeps using IS>( and DS<( as horrible replacements for For( loops. The only time I used them was with End as the next line, as a conditional for whether to cut the loop short or continue, but even for that there was a much better alternative (I can't remember what).
Deep Thought wrote:
My math teacher keeps using IS>( and DS<( as horrible replacements for For( loops. The only time I used them was with End as the next line, as a conditional for whether to cut the loop short or continue, but even for that there was a much better alternative (I can't remember what).
Well, I firstly think that it's pretty cool that your math teacher writes TI-BASIC at all, but I agree that he needs to learn some more modernized coding style. Perhaps you should convince him to come visit us here at Cemetech, or at least to buy my book when it comes out!
OOOO. I might buy that book. It would be cool if you made an Ebook out of it also.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
OOOO. I might buy that book. It would be cool if you made an Ebook out of it also.
I will indeed have an eBook of it, as far as I understand. Smile I need to post news about my book soon; I'm just waiting to get the title and everything finalized and my publisher to post information about it.
ok I will definetly get a copy of it!
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
ok I will definetly get a copy of it!
I'm very happy to hear it! But don't let me derail your discussion; let's get back to your specific questions. I'll have at least one thread for discussion, questions, and suggestions for my book.
KermMartian wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:
Well, I firstly think that it's pretty cool that your math teacher writes TI-BASIC at all, but I agree that he needs to learn some more modernized coding style. Perhaps you should convince him to come visit us here at Cemetech, or at least to buy my book when it comes out!
Yeah, I was surprised he went into TI-BASIC at all, but before he showed us the stuff to type in he specifically told us not to give him any corrections or suggestions. I'm thinking he copied it from a website filled with some unfortunately convoluted code Sad
Aww, that's a disappointment. Sad Maybe you could submit an anonymous suggestion that he come visit us here at Cemetech and learn more TI-BASIC? Actually, if you have some of his code, perhaps a Google search might help track down his source.
I never did. It was some 500-byte program to calculate a Riemann sum and making my own version was too easy Razz

But yeah, he used IS>( and DS<( with Goto and Lbl to simulate exactly what a For loop would do.
Very odd indeed, and a very assembly way to do things, as I realized above. I appreciate this thread for finally helping me get that. Smile

Edit: Testing a SAX fix yet again.
Edit2: Jonimus/TheStorm testing a fix for DoorsCS
Actually deep thought I think I know exactly the program you are talking about. It jumped around alot and used IS and DS. My calc teacher used the same code for along time. Now he is using mine.
Yeah it does make sense coming from assembly to do it this way. Tail recursion is much more common in assembly languages than higher level ones like Basic, well aside from do... while.

Edit: DoorsCS why you no work?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours