So lately I've been working on porting TI-Boy SE to the TI-84+ C Silver Edition, and recently I've had remarkable success! Tonight I released a first alpha build over at Omnimaga.

At least for now, this will be a forum-only release, in a single place where I have instant update control, in case I've made any terrible mistakes. (Hopefully not, but you never know!) I'd greatly appreciate feedback on any issues you may encounter.

Advantages over TI-Boy SE:
  • Displays the full 160x144 resolution of the Game Boy screen
  • 12 custom color palettes selectable, based on the palettes available for Game Boy games when played on the Game Boy Color
Disadvantages against TI-Boy SE:
  • A bit slower due to the 16-bit full-resolution graphics output.
  • No audio output support.

Next on the to-do list is probably to implement a proper fullscreen scaling mode. It's currently only half-implemented, with horizontal scaling but no vertical scaling.
As always, this is really amazing work, calc84maniac. I'm impressed that you managed to pull off a decent framerate despite the many graphical limitations of coupling a 15MHz processor and a 320x240 16-bit LCD with no graphics coprocessor. And the fact that we are guaranteed 128KB of RAM and 4MB of Flash should mean that even more games will be compatible compared with the monochrome TI-Boy, correct? I'll certainly be trying this out in the very near future (and of course nagging you to upload it to the Cemetech Archives as soon as your comfortable, so I don't have to play forum attachment hopscotch to find the latest version).
KermMartian wrote:
As always, this is really amazing work, calc84maniac. I'm impressed that you managed to pull off a decent framerate despite the many graphical limitations of coupling a 15MHz processor and a 320x240 16-bit LCD with no graphics coprocessor. And the fact that we are guaranteed 128KB of RAM and 4MB of Flash should mean that even more games will be compatible compared with the monochrome TI-Boy, correct? I'll certainly be trying this out in the very near future (and of course nagging you to upload it to the Cemetech Archives as soon as your comfortable, so I don't have to play forum attachment hopscotch to find the latest version).

Yes, the memory advantages are quite nice. I was able to remove a good number of warnings from my executable and readme, heh. ROM size should never be an issue, since I think all ROMs above 2MB are likely for Game Boy Color, which isn't supported anyway.
Ah, okay. But I was thinking in terms of being able to fit more games on the average calculator. Come to think of it, using this is probably one of the few ways to actually trigger a Garbage Collect on the TI-84+CSE. Do you have any particular games you recommend trying with this?
Great work, as always. I played some Zelda: Link's Awakening as well as some [/i]Pokemon Blue[/i] (my two favorite Gameboy games). Here's a video of me playing Pokemon:

The quality isn't that great, and I had to record in portrait mode, but it gets the idea across. Something I noticed, though which is evident if you watch the video the whole way through, is that it seems to slow down a bit.

I really like being able to play with the color palettes. I'd love to see more Smile, or even a way to define your own. Also, save state/load state are definitely required.[/youtube]
Well, it seems my suspicions were not for naught, as there was an error in loading save files for cartridges with 32KB of RAM (such as the Pokemon games). I've fixed that now, and uploaded Alpha 0.0.02 here.
That looks really awesome, being able to play blue version on there Very Happy Awesome work as always, Calc84, and wishing I could +Like that post by Merth. lol
Will the orignal Ti Boy SE be continued in terms of incremental development?
GinDiamond wrote:
Will the orignal Ti Boy SE be continued in terms of incremental development?

Actually, it already is! http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/419/41990.html

The development of TI-Boy CSE has helped a bit with finding some glitches in TI-Boy SE, even.
I've just released TI-Boy CSE Alpha 0.0.03! The main change in this version is that you can now scale the image up to fill the entire screen (with a cost of performance). You can download the new version here.

Edit: Link updated for Omnimaga forum upgrade
calc84maniac wrote:
I've just released TI-Boy CSE Alpha 0.0.03! The main change in this version is that you can now scale the image up to fill the entire screen (with a cost of performance). You can download the new version here.
What kind of performance cost? Is it a cost that most users will be happy to take in order to see things much larger on the screen?
KermMartian wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:
What kind of performance cost? Is it a cost that most users will be happy to take in order to see things much larger on the screen?

I haven't really measured it. I'd say it's noticeable, but it's not really proportional to the scale amount (which is 5/3). And of course, it affects things less at higher frameskip values.
Is there a website dedicated to TI Boy Games? If not, is anyone interested in setting up a dedicated website for TI-Boy Games that are supported on various calculators? I think this would be a good idea as the ecosystem and number of games produced continues to increase over time. I could help out with the HTML5/CSS3/JavaScript coding, but I cannot do it alone.
TIProgrammer84 wrote:
Is there a website dedicated to TI Boy Games? If not, is anyone interested in setting up a dedicated website for TI-Boy Games that are supported on various calculators? I think this would be a good idea as the ecosystem and number of games produced continues to increase over time. I could help out with the HTML5/CSS3/JavaScript coding, but I cannot do it alone.

Is this a good idea? Yes.
Is this a legal idea? Probably not.
When you convert a ROM, it is still technically a ROM image. Sharing ROMS is ilegal in the United States, so this idea would only be legal where such usage is legal.
ordelore wrote:
TIProgrammer84 wrote:

Is this a good idea? Yes.
Is this a legal idea? Probably not.
When you convert a ROM, it is still technically a ROM image. Sharing ROMS is ilegal in the United States, so this idea would only be legal where such usage is legal.

It would of course be legal so long as the ROMs you were using were of homebrew freeware origin. That's not what most people want or are interested in though - and posting pirated commercial ROMs is most certainly illegal.
Also, does anyone know how to make a ROM for TI Nspire CX CAS? I'm planning to bring ione of my favorite GBA games to the TI Nspire, but I do not know how to go about it? Is there an emulator already out for TI Nspire?
Note: Sites which distribute ROMs are super duper illegal. Please don't encouraging people to pirate or we'll delete posts. This isn't open to discussion.
Yes, there is such an emulator in place:

http://ourl.ca/16676

This requires Ndless, so if you have OS 3.2.4 or later, you are out of luck, for ndless does not support these operating systems.
Tools to convert the roms are included in the downloads.
Thank you GinDiamond
Thanks, this is cool.
So I can't use Gameboy Advance nor Gameboy Color ROMS? I can't find any other ROMS...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours