Do you want an open source portable media player?
yes
 100%  [ 6 ]
no
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

I'm wondering if there exists a truly open source portable media player out there, that plays .avi, .mkv, .ogg, etc. files and has schematics, firmware, etc. all available to the public.
PiMPin.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
I'm wondering if there exists a truly open source portable media player out there, that plays .avi, .mkv, .ogg, etc. files and has schematics, firmware, etc. all available to the public.
I would definitely be interested! I presume the Pandora device doesn't qualify, since the screen is on the small side?
KermMartian wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
I would definitely be interested! I presume the Pandora device doesn't qualify, since the screen is on the small side?

That and OpenPandora, GP2X etc. are more like game consoles than PMPs; what I'm wondering is if there's an open source version of something like the Archos PMP devices (then again, PMPs are becoming more like MIDs now...)
I dont know if this qualifies, but when i was looking through deal Extreme i came across this and thought it was kind of neat.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26366
rcfreak0 wrote:
I dont know if this qualifies, but when i was looking through deal Extreme i came across this and thought it was kind of neat.

That's a pretty cool MID you found, but it's not the existence of a PMP/MID that I'm looking for, it's the existence of one that is completely open source.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
rcfreak0 wrote:

That's a pretty cool MID you found, but it's not the existence of a PMP/MID that I'm looking for, it's the existence of one that is completely open source.

I figured it wasnt what you were looking for but It looked pretty cool being able to run linux and/or windows. I might get it cause i need a mp3 player lol
*bump* This thread is the top Google result for "open source PMP"! Apparently it's a concept that a lot of people care about.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours