Is is possible to have it so that the clock is not reset when the RAM is cleared?
Or is it not =(
Doubt it is, as I think the time settings for the calculator are stored in the RAM portion of the calculator and not the flash memory. Personally, if you don't use the clock actually, I wouldn't even bother setting it. I never really did on my 84+SE, but I usually have a watch on me for time keeping purposes.
Reapex wrote:
Is is possible to have it so that the clock is not reset when the RAM is cleared?
Or is it not =(
Upgrade you OS you fool, that has been a feature for a while now. I know for a fact that 2.43 has it as well as the new PoS 2.53MP.
or you might be able to waste some memory, add an offscript to save the time and restore it when the calc turns back on...
xenonparadox wrote:
or you might be able to waste some memory, add an offscript to save the time and restore it when the calc turns back on...
That's only between turning it off and on; the calculator can already do that. Indeed, that would keep the same time between power-off and on, which would invariably provide meaningless information (other than a lower bound on what date/time it might be when the calculator was turned back on). The problem is that a RAM clear resets the portion of RAM that stores the date and time. The reason that newer OSes are able to avoid this, performing a seemingly impossible feat, is that the RAM Clear is something that is actively triggered by the OS, not simply a result of a battery pull. The OS is free to not clear or reset certain portions of memory on a RAM Clear.
You're actually all wrong. The time is stored in 84+/SE clock hardware (ports 45h to 48h if memory serves) and it is preserved across RAM clears.

Older versions of the OS would reset the values in those ports on RAM reset, but that was totally unnecessary, and finally removed with 2.43 and beyond.
BrandonW wrote:
You're actually all wrong. The time is stored in 84+/SE clock hardware (ports 45h to 48h if memory serves) and it is preserved across RAM clears.

Older versions of the OS would reset the values in those ports on RAM reset, but that was totally unnecessary, and finally removed with 2.43 and beyond.
So what you're saying is everything I said was correct.

Edit: Fixed typo, thanks Kerm.
BrandonW wrote:
Rats, I hate being wrong. Sad

BrandonW wrote:
Fascinating, glad to know that.

TheStorm wrote:
So what your saying is everything I said was correct.
Tsk tsk, Jon. *you're
hmm...
i dont know...

i have the newest OS and the clock still resets every time a ram clear occurs...

and i have been getting ram clears a lot lately since i am beta testing for DCS6.5 haha Rolling Eyes

so if there is a program that sets the time back, i would be extremely happy about it! Smile
Well clock hook 2 supports restoring the time after a reset but IIRC that freature and omnicalc don't get along.
TheStorm wrote:
Well clock hook 2 supports restoring the time after a reset but IIRC that freature and omnicalc don't get along.

oh wow...

i am soooo adding that on to my calculator immediately!!!
thanks you so much for bringing that up...
since i dont use omnicalc anyways Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours