Any chance you can have DCS catch the Stop token from running and make the BASIC parser think it is a Return token instead? This would allow you to have little to no problems running a great many basic programs.
tifreak8x wrote:
Any chance you can have DCS catch the Stop token from running and make the BASIC parser think it is a Return token instead? This would allow you to have little to no problems running a great many basic programs.

Or even better, catch the Stop token and bail out to DCS.
calc84maniac wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:

Or even better, catch the Stop token and bail out to DCS.
That's what I'm planning, but I need a good way to do it. I never noticed this with the Stop token before, so I need to make sure that it's as simple as the TI-OS trying to return to the homescreen context without Doors CS cleaning itself up.
Darn I did not realize the Stop command was so much an issue. Had I known this around 2001-06 I would never have used it in my games to exit (altough back then, this would have been impossible in games like ROL1-3 with the lack of XCOPY or Real(10 :/)
just to remind you :

shortcuts
i found another serious bug...

renaming has been fixed... but duplication still has problems... though you no longer loose the designated file.

as in... when you use copy on a program, and after you type in a name (this name could be anything... "full caps included") and ones you click ok, the app freezes... then after a few seconds the calc crashes...

though for some reason the original file is lost while the duplicated file remains (the file with a new name) so from this information i am guessing that the problem lies with the archiving of the file? Neutral
schoolhacker wrote:

renaming has been fixed... but duplication still has problems... though you no longer loose the designated file.

as in... when you use copy on a program, and after you type in a name (this name could be anything... "full caps included") and ones you click ok, the app freezes... then after a few seconds the calc crashes...

though for some reason the original file is lost while the duplicated file remains (the file with a new name) so from this information i am guessing that the problem lies with the archiving of the file? Neutral
That's odd, I've had no problems with it. I think you must be using something strange like 2.53MP, aren't you? What's your calculator model and OS version?
KermMartian wrote:
schoolhacker wrote:

That's odd, I've had no problems with it. I think you must be using something strange like 2.53MP, aren't you? What's your calculator model and OS version?

TI-84 Plus 2.53MP
perhaps that's the reason... Neutral
schoolhacker wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
schoolhacker wrote:

TI-84 Plus 2.53MP
Even if it is the reason, I still need to find a fix, just like I need to solve 2.53MP's failure with ParserHooks.
KermMartian wrote:
schoolhacker wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
schoolhacker wrote:

TI-84 Plus 2.53MP
Even if it is the reason, I still need to find a fix, just like I need to solve 2.53MP's failure with ParserHooks.

i see...

well... other then this error... i have not been able to find anything else wrong with it Smile
I bet in 86 days Kerm's counter will be -1 again.
Smile
schoolhacker wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
schoolhacker wrote:

TI-84 Plus 2.53MP

i see...

well... other then this error... i have not been able to find anything else wrong with it Smile
I'm glad to hear it! I was able to replicate your issue under 2.53MP, 2.41, and 1.19, by the way, so I'm working on simultaneously optimizing and tracking it down.

me2labs wrote:
Smile
Erm, thanks for the lack of confidence in me. Razz

EDIT: Schoolhacker, found that problem, it was an extra _popop1 I accidentally left in instead of commenting out after an optimization.
KermMartian wrote:
schoolhacker wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
schoolhacker wrote:

TI-84 Plus 2.53MP

i see...

I'm glad to hear it! I was able to replicate your issue under 2.53MP, 2.41, and 1.19, by the way, so I'm working on simultaneously optimizing and tracking it down.

me2labs wrote:
Smile
Erm, thanks for the lack of confidence in me. Razz

EDIT: Schoolhacker, found that problem, it was an extra _popop1 I accidentally left in instead of commenting out after an optimization.

nice!
though i think there is also a garbage collecting error that happens with 2.53MP as well... i haven't confermed it yet since it only happened ones... i will do some further testing when i have time...

i just accidently stumbled on it when i was playing Tetris lol
(it lot the application and my highscores! Sad )
HAHA Rolling Eyes
Well, lemme try running 2.53MP and force a Garbage Collect. I presume it seemed like a crash right before, during, or after a Garbage Collect?
KermMartian wrote:
Well, lemme try running 2.53MP and force a Garbage Collect. I presume it seemed like a crash right before, during, or after a Garbage Collect?

it seems like a crash right before...
since DCS seems to have already deleted the original file... since after restarting the calc file is gone, and i know that garbage collect has not started yet since if it did and crashed, the calc memory eould be seriously screwed, and it isn't Wink
That sounds exactly right. What exactly did you see before the crash? Did the Garbage Collect window appear? I don't suppose you were looking closely enough to see if the OS's Garbage Collect menu flashed up briefly?
KermMartian wrote:
That sounds exactly right. What exactly did you see before the crash? Did the Garbage Collect window appear? I don't suppose you were looking closely enough to see if the OS's Garbage Collect menu flashed up briefly?

i am not sure actually...
i can't remember anymore...

i will recreate it when i have time Neutral
Thanks schoolhacker, I've been trying to reproduce it, but it's hard to trigger a Garbage Collect on a calc with 1.5MB of ROM. :/

So I *finally* figured out a nice reliable way to handle the Stop token. After much thinking and experimentation, I added a section of code to the BASIC parser hook used for Celtic/XLib interception that specifically watches for the Stop token. Because that token causes Doors CS to never regain control (only from Homerun! The App can regain control when run from the Apps menu), it normally crashes the calculator. Therefore, I bjump into the system error handler context with a=%01111111, effectively triggering the nonexistent error number 127. The OS helpfully cleans up all the running programs and hands over command to Doors CS' error handler, which deals with deleting and cleaning up remaining items, then recognizes this special error and silently quits without reporting it. Just to be on the safe side, I use this as one of the cases to bjump(_JForceCmd) from the Homerun Parser Hook, the other being when a program was edited because of a Goto event after execution. When Celtic III / XLib compatibility is disabled, however, it simply uses a much much smaller Parser Hook during BASIC program execution that just looks for Stop, and does all the same things. Huzzah!
KermMartian wrote:
Thanks schoolhacker, I've been trying to reproduce it, but it's hard to trigger a Garbage Collect on a calc with 1.5MB of ROM. :/
Load in DCS duplicates a few times? Or maybe large games if DCS isn't actually all that big.

Also, congratulations!
comicIDIOT wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Load in DCS duplicates a few times? Or maybe large games if DCS isn't actually all that big.

Also, congratulations!
Thanks! I'm glad to have this one out of the way. And about making 2.53MP glitch out, I loaded in every single App that I have, although I had to stop and defrag a few times in the course of doing so. I'll probably ask BrandonW if he has any ideas tomorrow, because trying to debug this one blind with no test case would be a big challenge.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours