http://electricalwhat.com/
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Very nice find, Ultimate Dev'r. I like that they have things like the US-style resistors as the primary symbols, with things like the British-style resistors as a see-also. Wink I bet benryves would disagree though.
KermMartian wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Very nice find, Ultimate Dev'r. I like that they have things like the US-style resistors as the primary symbols, with things like the British-style resistors as a see-also. Wink I bet benryves would disagree though.
Naturally, the rectangle for a resistor is an IEC (international) standard - it's not uniquely British. Quite a few bits of schematic editing software only provide the old symbols, so depending on how lazy I am I'll use both. Razz (For what it's worth, I've never seen people using IEC logic gate symbols).

One thing I've never worked out is whether to draw circles around semiconductors or not. One theory I had heard in the past was that circles were used to denote discrete components. I don't bother to draw the circles at all, myself.
benryves wrote:
One thing I've never worked out is whether to draw circles around semiconductors or not. One theory I had heard in the past was that circles were used to denote discrete components. I don't bother to draw the circles at all, myself.

As in the circle around a transistor on a schematic?
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
benryves wrote:

I've seen the circles in most of the schematics that I have worked from, and subsequently in the schematics that I have drawn myself. The only time I've seen them without the circles have been in diagrams of the internals of op-amps, and in occasional schematics in semiconductor textbooks.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
benryves wrote:

Yes, or around a diode or other semiconductor.

KermMartian wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
benryves wrote:

I've seen the circles in most of the schematics that I have worked from, and subsequently in the schematics that I have drawn myself. The only time I've seen them without the circles have been in diagrams of the internals of op-amps, and in occasional schematics in semiconductor textbooks.
My A Level textbook draws them around most diodes and BJTs but not around FETs. It could well just be down to personal preference, of course. Smile
Let's see, as far as diodes, I've only seen the circles around photoemitters and receivers, ie, LEDs and photodiodes. I've always seen simple diodes, zeners, etc with no circles. I've seen about an equal mix of circles and no circles around FETs.
benryves wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
benryves wrote:

Yes, or around a diode or other semiconductor.

KermMartian wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
benryves wrote:

My A Level textbook draws them around most diodes and BJTs but not around FETs. It could well just be down to personal preference, of course. Smile

Interesting; I wasn't aware that the circles really meant anything, but I've only seen the circles around LEDs and transistors and not much else.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours