I was thinking about this a few weeks ago and decided to post it. TBG would also get more publicity from it. Sound good?
It's an interesting idea, but I'd like to have a reasonably solid game BEFORE I start looking for other distribution channels. And I don't know how the Steam store works for developers, but I don't want to have to pay for me free game to get publicity, because I have no way of recouping that.
*cough* donations *cough*
As far as donations are concerned, I'll be posting a link to my Amazon wishlist (though mailing me cash is welcome too). I'm sure Cyber will want to do something similar.
Haha, I think xfire might be overkill as most players use windowed mode anyway. Steam is a bit of an interesting idea as well, but I don't think we should look into it now. As far as donations, all money should first go to elfprince to repay the engine license.
elfprince13 wrote:
As far as donations are concerned, I'll be posting a link to my Amazon wishlist (though mailing me cash is welcome too). I'm sure Cyber will want to do something similar.

Doesn't bountysource have a method through which people can donate, heck isn't that the whole concept behind bountysource?
CyberPrime wrote:
Haha, I think xfire might be overkill as most players use windowed mode anyway. Steam is a bit of an interesting idea as well, but I don't think we should look into it now. As far as donations, all money should first go to elfprince to repay the engine license.

Hmmm, this is a good point. I was thinking it would be good to try and keep (potential) donations evenly distributed, but at this point I *have* invested actual personal funds in the project and I wouldn't mind donations to pay those off. At this point I've sunk $150 into the engine, and starting last week, I'll be paying $3.30 a month for a private SVN repository for our engine code.
absolutely, you should be paid off first. btw; why is a private SVN necessary?
CyberPrime wrote:
absolutely, you should be paid off first. btw; why is a private SVN necessary?

Because he can't put the Engine for which he had to buy a license in a public SVN repo, the license would then be violated.
ah, of course.
what happened to "open-source"?
It's against the Torque license to put the engine up for public use, for obvious reasons. The game will be open source, just not the engine.
DShiznit, I'll be releasing the engine source as soon as GarageGames open sources TGE (which has actually been under discussion). Until then it's binaries only + private SVN for the engine.

The scripted source is as open as it has always been.
At that point, will the engine also be free(for non-commercial use)? They aren't gonna make much more off of it anyway, and having a free engine to play with and build simple free projects on will make people more likely to purchase the high-end one if they want the extra features and support.
I hope so. But right now, TGE and TGEA aren't even available for new licenses.
Then they might as well release it for free. They aren't selling it anyway, why not let script kiddies have some fun with it, then upgrade to the sexy new engine if and when they want to take it to that level?
You would have to put a cost on TBG for it to go onto Steam.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours