I've recently updated Clear Skies, Horizon, Galaxia & Starry Night with a new "invisible floor", if you will. The floor, in reality, is an invisible interior file. This means you can stand on it, walk on it, build on it, etc. You also get shadows on it, and it just looks cool. I would check it out, it's fun to play around with. A couple of the maps, particularily the space maps, will need updated skies so you can see shadows, and tell that you're standing on this invisible floor, but those should be created shortly.

On an unrelated note: Anyone who wants to make some skyboxes is more than welcome to, and anyone looking to use the invisible floor is also welcome to. The file is under /core/data/interiors/trans and you can just set the scale to 100000 100000 1.
*hand raise*

Can Horizons be in the SVN now?
Got any screenshots of these maps? I'd be happy to host them if you need, just email them to me. Smile
I totally added Horizons, elf.

Clear Skies: http://imgur.com/RSzNp.jpg
Horizon: http://imgur.com/PFKKW.png
Starry Night: http://imgur.com/kfpHQ.jpg
Galaxia: http://imgur.com/lgsTO.jpg
OMG YOU ***S STOLE OUR SLATE MAP EVEN THOUGH THAT SKYBOX HAS BEEN IN TBM SINCE 2005!!! - Retail Cultist
DShiznit wrote:
OMG YOU ***S STOLE OUR SLATE MAP EVEN THOUGH THAT SKYBOX HAS BEEN IN TBM SINCE 2005!!! - Retail Cultist

Slate map?
Blockland has a map called "Slate" which is rather similar to this, even though I've been meaning to do something like this for years.
so if its in the SVN, should i update?
MikeShinoda32 wrote:
so if its in the SVN, should i update?

yes.
Half the fun of those maps was the fact that they were a void.
Its not space if you can walk up to your ship. Rolling Eyes
I can see a use for it with some skyboxes, but its weird for space maps.
hmmmm, how about Galaxia and SpaceBox are de-platformed and Sunset and Horizon (the non-space skybox maps) are left platformed? I really like the concept of the invisible floor, but agree that space maps are more fun when you HAVE to fly to them.

Thoughts?
elfprince13 wrote:
hmmmm, how about Galaxia and SpaceBox are de-platformed and Sunset and Horizon (the non-space skybox maps) are left platformed? I really like the concept of the invisible floor, but agree that space maps are more fun when you HAVE to fly to them.

Thoughts?

My thoughts exactly.
Alright, I can handle that. I suppose it makes sense as well.
hey, sky maps are fun to fly too, if you have planes...
but it makes more sense to have ground for a plane than a space ship Wink also, I like the idea of having a mix, and this seems like a good way to pull it off a balance. You have immensely more mapping experience than I do though, so I highly encourage you to make some flight-sim friendly maps Razz
Oh lord. I like my god powers too much to ditch it completely. If you want a floorless skymap you can make it yourself, it's not terribly difficult.
Galaxia and SpaceBox have been updated to have platforms, Horizon and Sunset are keeping the invisible floor. SpaceBox has been configured to have four smaller platforms spaced away from a strategic central platform.
Guys, I'd just like to let you know Roblox has a map called Slate and it has the exact same skybox as Retails, I don't think it'd hurt if you had a similar one.
Jimmg wrote:
Guys, I'd just like to let you know Roblox has a map called Slate and it has the exact same skybox as Retails, I don't think it'd hurt if you had a similar one.

It is not in their interests to have similar content. I think numerous people have expressed that they have the desire to make this totally different.

That said, skyboxes aren't ten a penny, and tricky to make (unless you have a cheap map like True Science or similar).
Jimmg wrote:

Probably a stock skybox they both dredged up somewhere.

Skyboxes actually are pretty easy. Lots of preview renders in Terragen + a few hours for super high quality final renders and you're done. Or if you're confident in your skills you can make one in the GIMP pretty easily by painting on the net of the cube, and then chopping it up, although that requires a little more blending of the edges.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours