Not really. There's a lot of computation involved with calculating even a line-of-sight collision against potentially dynamic objects repeated for 3000 raindrops.
hrm... could we perhaps make it so the splash is only generated when it collides with water?
smarcus6 wrote:
hrm... could we perhaps make it so the splash is only generated when it collides with water?

It's not the splash that's a problem. It's knowing when the rain drop has hit something so it can stop.
have the objects detect the rain, instead of the other way 'round.
that would be very laggy in Elrune's builds.
Lucas is right but maybe make the terrain or water block register when there is an impact... and maybe a mesh would be generated sorta in the shape of the build like an invisible one for the rain to collide with? or something...

EDIT: we could have a low physics quality of the rain for situations like elrunes server
I get it, an invisible terrain-like mesh that adjusts to fit everything in the server, used exclusively for rain collision...
what would happen if i had someone on the ground, and then put a brick waaaaaaaaaaay waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up? would it lag like hell for abit?
good point. I think you could still work this out using the collision detection that's already being done for each shape. Basically just have the shape tell the raindrop "ok, you hit me, asplode now"
Why don't you just check to see if, during rendering:

- the old position and the new position have nothing between them
- the new position isn't inside an object?

Surely this won't add too much extra to the calculation...
GreyMario wrote:
Why don't you just check to see if, during rendering:

- the old position and the new position have nothing between them
- the new position isn't inside an object?

Surely this won't add too much extra to the calculation...

It would. casting a ray to check for things between them is expensive. Doing that for thousands of raindrops even more so.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours