DShiznit wrote:
yeah, but it's easy enough to solder everything if it'll save you a pretty penny.
That's true, but that kinda defeats the purpose of a solderless breadboard that lets you test things, make mistakes, rearrange things, and iterate through designs quickly.
DShiznit wrote:
Why on earth would anyone ever buy expensive breadboards?
I quite agree, the ones on SparkFun are (like most of their range) monstrously overpriced. However, a breadboard is an invaluable tool for prototyping. My favourite one cost me less than a fiver in a high-street shop. Smile
I'm sure you can use stripped bag ties and loose wire to make the threads underneath you'd need for a solderless breadboard.
DShiznit wrote:
I'm sure you can use stripped bag ties and loose wire to make the threads underneath you'd need for a solderless breadboard.

Good luck making your own quality solderless breadboard that has the proper spacing, rails and durability for $5.
I might just do that to make a point.
DShiznit wrote:

Be sure to post pics.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Be sure to post pics.

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new.

/me imagines a hellish firestorm of stripped wires and unintentional shorts. And splinters. The kind that sit there and gnaw on your finger until you bite back.
The Tari wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Be sure to post pics.

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new.

/me imagines a hellish firestorm of stripped wires and unintentional shorts. And splinters. The kind that sit there and gnaw on your finger until you bite back.

Probably, but once it all works you have the satisfaction of having built a $20 component from almost nothing.
DShiznit wrote:
The Tari wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Be sure to post pics.

Probably, but once it all works you have the satisfaction of having built a $20 component from almost nothing.

Except it's usefulness is completely eclipsed by a $5 breadboard.
That depends on how big you make it. If you have enough old Xbox360 cases, you can fuse together multiple cut-out square pieces of plastic to make a bread board of unlimited size.
I have a solution for the I/O availability problem; get a 74HC595 and follow these directions. The 74HC595 is completely optional for those who don't care about the number of I/O pins used (and/or already bought a kit), but you are going to need a soldering iron & some solder to use the LCD at all (unless you buy the serial LCD instead of the parallel one listed in the kit.)

Thoughts?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours