Geohot has released the details to his hack for the PS3 to access all areas of system memory; there's not much you can do with this at this time as the exploit is still being documented, but in the future this will finally allow for real PS3 homebrew development. Description of the exploit is here (what's really funny is how stupidly simple the hardware used to perform this hack is Laughing)
I saw this yesterday I think. pretty neat Smile
He announced it a week or so ago but didn't release his hack until today.
Why do you think this will lead to "real" homebrew? You can already boot linux, you can already have real homebrew.

Cool hack, but I highly doubt it will go anywhere.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Why do you think this will lead to "real" homebrew? You can already boot linux, you can already have real homebrew.

Dug for Linux. But yeah, I rather enjoy being able to use YellowDog on my PS3.
Kllrnohj wrote:

The PS3 slims does not support Linux but the PS3 fat does.
The best thing is that is was the same person who gave the the world the homebrew fun of the iPhone.
Kllrnohj wrote:

Running linux apps on a PS3 isn't real homebrew (besides, new PS3s don't support linux).
movallerik wrote:
The best thing is that is was the same person who gave the the world the homebrew fun of the iPhone.

This hack is run from *WITHIN* Linux. This hack won't do squat for Slim users.

Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Running linux apps on a PS3 isn't real homebrew (besides, new PS3s don't support linux).

Yes it is.
Kllrnohj wrote:
movallerik wrote:

This hack is run from *WITHIN* Linux. This hack won't do squat for Slim users.

Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Yes it is.

No it is not.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
No it is not.

Explain.
Sony removed support for the linux and a website is Below for proof.

http://www.sonyinsider.com/2009/09/07/no-linux-on-ps3-revisited/
movallerik wrote:

Removing "support" doesn't mean they removed the ability for you to put Linux on your PS3; it just means that they won't help you if you break things.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
No it is not.

Explain.

I define real homebrew as homebrew that accesses the console in the same way as published games do, without an extra layer of abstraction (using linux for the PS3 doesn't give you near as much access to the system as if you used the same methods pressed games do, hence why I do not consider current homebrew for the PS3 to be real homebrew, but a cripled shadow of real homebrew).
movallerik wrote:

Correction, the PS3 SLIM no longer has linux support. The PS3 fat models all still do. The PS3 has been getting cheaper over time as Sony keeps cutting out more and more features. First it was PS2 backwards compatibility, and now its support for running Linux.

@Kerm: No, in this case removing support means you can't do it anymore. The option just doesn't exist in the Slim.
Kllrnohj wrote:

Correction, the PS3 SLIM no longer has linux support.

hahahaha
calc84maniac wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:

hahahaha

Sony had to cut costs somewhere Very Happy
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:

hahahaha

Sony had to cut costs somewhere Very Happy

They were just hoping no one noticed Evil or Very Mad
Kllrnohj wrote:
movallerik wrote:

[...]@Kerm: No, in this case removing support means you can't do it anymore. The option just doesn't exist in the Slim.
Really? What exactly did they remove to make it physically impossible? It still has the same memory architecture, processor architecture, and optical drive, does it not?
KermMartian wrote:
Really? What exactly did they remove to make it physically impossible? It still has the same memory architecture, processor architecture, and optical drive, does it not?

They removed the menu option from the XMB that gets the process started. Since it sounds like you don't have a PS3, what you have to do to install Linux is to boot the PS3 regularly, go into an options menu, and then select "install other os", which has you follow some steps blah blah blah. The PS3 Slim doesn't have the "Install other OS" option in the menu - it just isn't there.
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

They removed the menu option from the XMB that gets the process started. Since it sounds like you don't have a PS3, what you have to do to install Linux is to boot the PS3 regularly, go into an options menu, and then select "install other os", which has you follow some steps blah blah blah. The PS3 Slim doesn't have the "Install other OS" option in the menu - it just isn't there.

KermMartian wrote:
Dug for Linux. But yeah, I rather enjoy being able to use YellowDog on my PS3.
It's been sitting on a shelf for the past eight or nine months, and I haven't plugged it in for well over a year.

Anyway, so therefore it's just a matter of them not including the feature in the software? Someone intelligent could figure out a way to hack it in, or even swap hard drives to get Linux running on the Slims?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours