I would like to have a scrolling program to use on the home screen.
My "musts" list is not very long.
1) Since this is going to be used by children it must be user friendly when used in the program. The child must be able to control the scrolling, somehow. It would "be nice" if the child could use the function keys at the top of the 84 to do this. Like "STOP" and "GO" buttons or "SLOWER" and "FASTER" buttons.
2) By whatever means it must not bifurcate text. We are having trouble with getting children to read let alone , deciphering a bifurcated word.
My "wants" list is long and is based on my limited capabilities.
1) I need to be able to load the application. If the available scrolling program does not have simple instructions, this old bird with limited memory, will need some hand holding☺
2) It would be nice if I could work in TI connect, check it out there and then install it there in the application. Doing all that in the calculator will not be fun but I can manage that.

john
john massey wrote:
1) Since this is going to be used by children it must be user friendly when used in the program. The child must be able to control the scrolling, somehow. It would "be nice" if the child could use the function keys at the top of the 84 to do this. Like "STOP" and "GO" buttons or "SLOWER" and "FASTER" buttons.
2) By whatever means it must not bifurcate text. We are having trouble with getting children to read let alone , deciphering a bifurcated word.

Are you sure you want to scroll? Why not word wrap? And what about just using the navigation arrows to let them scroll through text faster/slower?

Anyways that's certainly possible... I'll see what I can do.
So.. are you wanting something like the scrolling text screensaver on a computer, or would you like something like notepad?
rthprog wrote:
john massey wrote:

Are you sure you want to scroll? Why not word wrap? And what about just using the navigation arrows to let them scroll through text faster/slower?

I'd assume that he does want to work wrap (for those weak on their vocab, a bifurcated word is one split in the middle), but also probably has more than a screenful of text, hence the scrolling. Smile
This code should be really really easy to write for this. I will take a look at chopping out some code. The logic for not cutting words up would be the hardest part, and that will be really easy to get around.

Let me see what I can get up by the weekend.
If you really wanted to, couldn't you just do Pause "string" ?

Kind of basic, but it works to some degree.
And that would totally take the fun and challenge away of what he wants to do =o

We can't have that.
KermMartian wrote:
rthprog wrote:
john massey wrote:

I'd assume that he does want to work wrap (for those weak on their vocab, a bifurcated word is one split in the middle), but also probably has more than a screenful of text, hence the scrolling. Smile

If I remember correctly there was a user on tifreakware that helped me create a text-wrap engine and it worked rather fast. It'll be a matter of finding my "UIP" (Update in Progress) Grade Manager and extract that part of code.
Here's the relevant thread: http://tifreakware.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=295. I don't see any finalized, helpful code in there. It was Sage Orator who helped you out, correct?
Quote:
I am working with some folks on the TI developers site. I, We are trying to get the code below running. The line of code that begins with B+ is where the trouble is. The compiler somehow does not like the = signs. But here is where we are now. I did not expect some much talented responses. If you want to think about something, nothing has been said about the scroller cutting up words. In the word processing world, it is called bifurcation. If nobody can figure how to prevent bifurcation, I will just half to put spaces in the code. Here is the code present version. I took out the comments out of the code. You can see the program on the developers site if you are not able to dope out what is going on.

"Hi there Today we are going to do some more math flash cards. Remember when your hand help super computer stops, that is your sign that it is waiting for you to do something, so you should press the enter key. The enter key is on the right hand side at the bottom of your super computer keyboard. You should remember that when you see the ? you need to decide on a value to solve the flash card problem. Then press the white keys and press enter. The super computer now waits for you to study the screen to see what has happened."→Str2
1→B
For(A,1,length(Str2)-16
Output(1,1,"sub(Str2,A,16
getKey→K
B+(k=24)-(K=26)->B
Ans+not(ans→B
rand(B
End

john

From UTI
KermMartian wrote:
Here's the relevant thread: http://tifreakware.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=295. I don't see any finalized, helpful code in there. It was Sage Orator who helped you out, correct?
Ah, yes, Sage Orator. I remember I came up with needing the word wrap on my DNA to RNA program due to the massive strings/lists it would create. However I can't seem to find those topics that Sage Orator commented in. I'll do some digging and searching around the forum archives. I can't find the file on my external and SC doesn't have the updated version of the program.

I can no longer make heads or tails of this code (long post at end) and don't believe it contains what we're looking for as far as text wrapping goes.

I'll log in to my account and see if it's in a private message to me!
I have some scrolling text running. The problem is that as it runs it is difficult to read. It would be nice if someone knew how to deal with an additional requirement. I think the answer is to fill up the graph screen very fast and then stop while the child reads the text. They the child presses a key like the down arrow and the graph screen fills up again. As far as the bifurcation problem is concerned. I can run and rerun the scrolling problem and put the appropriate number of spaces in a line of text in order to prevent bifurcation. It may take a while but I do not expect to be changing the content very often. Unless one of you very smart soles can figure out a way to prevent it. Perhaps with a symbol like PIE as in 3.14159 Very Happy
I can set you up something that will look for specific characters in a string, like +, *, and / that makes it look to a next line, pause, and end.

It would be similar to http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/363/36335.html but do it line by line instead of individual characters.

Thing is, you have to type in the string information yourself, setting up the characters in the appropriate spots so it knows what to do with it.
I just want to know if I can have one character for what we used to call "line feed and carriage return" in the manual type writer days and some other character to stop scrolling when the page is full. Then some way to fill up the graph screen again. If so please send me the code to do so. I will test and respond with test results.

To make sure tell be about pixels in a line on the graph screen. I remember spaces are one pixel and most characters are 4 pixels but there some characters which are five. What about period and question marks.

Would it be a simple task to write a little program to count the pixels in a line of text and somehow give me the pixel count even if it exceed 94? Since I have a Nspire with an 84 keyboard where I do my programming and a 84, I could work back and forth. That is take some text from the Nspire string which is about the correct length and enter it in the 84 program you have written and it would give me the pixel count even it was over 94 based on that information I would place your special character in the correct location in the Nspire string.

I wonder about what happens when some of the symbols should happen to be in the text. May I suggest a symbol which will never be in the text. If you go into the catalog in your 84 and press "3" and go down a ways in the list you will see a little square character. I believe it has a specific name, but I forget what it is called. It is about 14 symbols down the list. Is it possible to use this character to do "Line feed and Carriage return?
you can use pretty much -anything- to set it to go to next line and pause, that really is very very simple.

I.. might be able to create something that would count the pixels in a line and know to display only so much of it.. but that might be quite slow.

But otherwise, the plot symbols could be easily used in place of the other symbols, I was merely offering examples of what I use.
In getting out my last post I forgot a thought. So I am working in the 84 with the string in the Nspire. I am working in the mac so I can copy and paste between two programs that are both open. So I copy a section of the string in the Nspire and paste it into the program in the 84 that you have written. Your program gives a pixel count . If it is less than 94 I look at the next few characters in the Nspire string and make a guess if I should add some more text and retest in the 84. When I get the Text list optimized in the 84 I place my little square in the correct location which by definition will between characters in the Nspire string. Then I will run the string in the Nspire and verify that things are OK. I will repeat this process until the graph is full. I will make sure that the last sentence on the first full screen is complete so we do not bifurcate a sentence. Wink
Please disregard my last post. Stupidity and old age are hard to overcome Very Happy

Let me tell you how I think this process would work. There are two programs open on the screen of the Mac. The one program is the program what holds the list. The second program is what I call the pixel counter. This is the one that one you very smart programmers is hopefully going to do. So I copy a portion of the code in program one and paste it into program two. Then I run program two. It should have a way to display the pixel count on the home screen. It would be nice, with an OUTPUT statement.I want the pixel counter to tell me the pixel count even if it is > 94.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours