http://knol.google.com/k/how-to-repair-damaged-flexible-flat-cable-from-lcd-displays

So it seems you can fix those pesky LCD flex cables by hot bar bonding; too bad the equipment to do it costs more than the LCD is worth.
I have a much easier way: rip out the existing damaged cable, clean the solder pads with VERY fine sandpaper and rubbing alcohol, then solder a row of 30awg wirewrap wire to one side, and then solder them to the other side. Voila.
KermMartian wrote:
I have a much easier way: rip out the existing damaged cable, clean the solder pads with VERY fine sandpaper and rubbing alcohol, then solder a row of 30awg wirewrap wire to one side, and then solder them to the other side. Voila.

Good luck soldering directly to an LCD panel.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

And this is why I should read a post more carefully before I reply to it. I was talking about PCB-to-PCB ribbon cables, like the one that connects the TI-83+'s mainboard to the LCD daughterboard.
KermMartian wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

And this is why I should read a post more carefully before I reply to it. I was talking about PCB-to-PCB ribbon cables, like the one that connects the TI-83+'s mainboard to the LCD daughterboard.

But this is clearly not about that Razz
Yup, and now I see. I must say, I've never seen one of these hot bar machines in my life, and I've been in more than one EE laboratory. They must be a fairly specialty device.
KermMartian wrote:
Yup, and now I see. I must say, I've never seen one of these hot bar machines in my life, and I've been in more than one EE laboratory. They must be a fairly specialty device.

I think it has something to do with the fact that the machine costs $13.5K, whereas a broken LCD is cheaper to replace than the hot bar bonding machine's shipping costs Laughing
I remember seeing sites that claimed you could repair them using a regular soldering iron and some coat hanger wire, though that was for slightly less fiddly pager displays.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours