calc84maniac wrote:
That, and TI almost never writes optimized code.

Not necessarily. Remember, most people are trying to force/trick TI-BASIC into doing things it really wasn't designed for. It wasn't built for games and the like, after all. Keep in mind that all TI-BASIC numbers are floating point (and 9-ish bytes at that, iirc), and fp math is *slllooooowwww*. Not to mention you are working with a CPU that doesn't even handle basic things like multiplication, which only complicates the matter.

That said, I wouldn't exactly call TI's code highly optimized either, but do keep in mind what their goals and requirements for their code are.
Altough the TI-83 Plus manual (at least, the one from 1999-2002) states to use GetKey in stuff like video games. So maybe they still somewhat had calculator games in mind when they created TI-BASIC for most calculators
xlibman wrote:
Altough the TI-83 Plus manual (at least, the one from 1999-2002) states to use GetKey in stuff like video games. So maybe they still somewhat had calculator games in mind when they created TI-BASIC for most calculators
Kevin is absolutely right, here's the quote from the guidebook:

Code:
getKey

getKey returns a number corresponding to the last key pressed,
according to the key code diagram below. If no key has been pressed,
getKey returns 0. Use getKey inside loops to transfer control, for
example, when creating video games.
xlibman wrote:

There is, however, a difference between what the language was *designed* to do and what it *can* do. There is also a huge difference between what it is good at and what it isn't. I'm quite positive that TI-BASIC wasn't built for video games. It may have been in the back of their minds, sort of like an engineering throwing it on there because they could, but it wasn't the focus.
Kllrnohj wrote:
engineering throwing it on their

lulz
Kllrnohj wrote:
xlibman wrote:

There is, however, a difference between what the language was *designed* to do and what it *can* do. There is also a huge difference between what it is good at and what it isn't. I'm quite positive that TI-BASIC wasn't built for video games. It may have been in the back of their minds, sort of like an engineering throwing it on their because they could, but it wasn't the focus.
Absolutely, and that's why we have to come up with such awkward (or in Weregoose's case, elegant) hacks to get around the language's shortcomings. And Ultimate Dev'r, Kllrnohj did indeed make a classic internet blunder.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:

lulz

Yeah...

Hey, it was a long day and I had some booze before I posted that, can you blame me?
Kllrnohj wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:

lulz

Yeah...

Hey, it was a long day and I had some booze before I posted that, can you blame me?

yes, yes I can AND I HAVE *affirmative smirk*

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours