Absolutely, mapping/artwork/interface
 28%  [ 12 ]
No, but I look forward to playing
 45%  [ 19 ]
I have no interest in this
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 42

elfprince13 wrote:
calcy, could you play around with blocktopia, using the latest commit in the repository and see if that comes up.
Maybe later, don't really have time to download and play around right now.
I can confirm this issue; you go out quite a ways before the invisible water cuts off and lets you fall.

EDIT: After playing with Swivel and Elfprince, I can assure everybody that the game is very fun, and I certainly can't wait to see all the people who play it, and all that people can do with it.
Given my obsession therein, I really hope I have the opportunity to implement the train mechanics that I envision in time for the first nonbeta release of this. Smile Glad to hear people are having fun, I continued to be impressed at the rapid progress.
I'm having no fun at all, but at least I came up with some sort of idea for an improvement Razz

I should get off my rear end and think of something for a map.

Perhaps I'll rework Lavapit to have an island, or perhaps if we get 3d mesh water I can create a tunnel system underneath the lava, or some stuff like that...?

Really, some ideas depend on if other things get implemented. What with Feedback's lava and cliffs map, an ordinary lavapit with a plain island would be boring, but...

Oh, and might it be possible to give bodies of water some sort of flow direction and power? Not quite important to the game system, but it might be something reasonable if the 3d mesh water is implemented.
KermMartian wrote:
Given my obsession therein, I really hope I have the opportunity to implement the train mechanics that I envision in time for the first nonbeta release of this. Smile Glad to hear people are having fun, I continued to be impressed at the rapid progress.

I've been having ideas which could be used in other aspects of the vehicle system. We need to have a chat at some point.

GreyMario wrote:
I'm having no fun at all, but at least I came up with some sort of idea for an improvement Razz

I should get off my rear end and think of something for a map.

Perhaps I'll rework Lavapit to have an island, or perhaps if we get 3d mesh water I can create a tunnel system underneath the lava, or some stuff like that...?

Really, some ideas depend on if other things get implemented. What with Feedback's lava and cliffs map, an ordinary lavapit with a plain island would be boring, but...

Oh, and might it be possible to give bodies of water some sort of flow direction and power? Not quite important to the game system, but it might be something reasonable if the 3d mesh water is implemented.

Flow direction is already implement. Power not so much. Also you can implement the tunnels underneath the lava, you just need to tweak the depth of your waterblock and have the tunnel lay below that.
But I want the player to be able to access the tunnels underneath the lava from above. :U
No can do GreyMario. It's just how Torque was made. It'd be quite a hassle (I'm sure) to change something like that as well.
GreyMario wrote:
But I want the player to be able to access the tunnels underneath the lava from above. :U

Essentially, you need to design the map so that your tunnel entrance goes down *outside* the lava, and then comes up on the other side.

Making a nicer bridge then the standard blocktopia one for the Dragonmasters map.

Very nice bridge! One upon a time I wanted to make a map with a round-robin skybox that had times of day and lighting appropriate to the same, but I never made it. I should see if I can implement that in Cemetech City 3 (if that's what I call the map of which I am thinking).
Go Thomas, lol. Nice bridge! Razz

And Kerm, that would be pretty epic!
swivelgames wrote:
Go Thomas, 0x5. Nice bridge! Razz

And Kerm, that would be pretty epic!
Thanks, I actually have basically all the skyboxes necessary and some implementation ideas from Luq (although no actual code), so I should look into it as soon as I finish my applications and finals and have a bit more time on my hands.
It would be probably feasible to put some sort of skybox transitions into the engine to make that easier....

[edit]

read this: http://www.garagegames.com/community/forums/viewthread/66488
Yea, I could have sworn I saw some day/night mod somewhere once. Perhaps it was on the garagegames forums. I will have to look when I get home.
elfprince13 wrote:
It would be probably feasible to put some sort of skybox transitions into the engine to make that easier....

[edit]

read this: http://www.garagegames.com/community/forums/viewthread/66488
Interesting, although the number of possible caveats, such as with terrain lighting getting baked, is a bit discouraging.

CyberPrime wrote:
Yea, I could have sworn I saw some day/night mod somewhere once. Perhaps it was on the garagegames forums. I will have to look when I get home.
Thanks Cyberprime, I look forward to seeing what you find.
Elfprince, I'm pretty sure that's not how the Torque Game Engine works at the moment. Unless you've fixed the way water behaves (which I have no idea if you have or not) the lava will damage people attempting to enter the tunnels from above the lava.

Rewriting the way water is handled, or adding a new water handling method (look at physical zones, for instance - they're just cubes pretty much) will keep the lava from "leaking" through the tunnel and doing what it shouldn't - which is killing minifigs when there shouldn't be any lava there at all.

You can experience this in the Adventure Islands map - the lava inside the interior actually leaks through the interior when in reality there should perhaps be a check in the code to make sure that never happens. Granted, the extent of the waterblock means you won't get roasted at that level outside of the volcano area, but if you go underneath the interior (which is underground) and go up, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

(Being able to define water as a convex six-faced 3D mesh would possibly solve this problem, though limiting it to cubes wouldn't be too much of a limitation.)

If I need to clarify any more, or perhaps need to construct an example or a diagram, just let me know. :U
Lava doesn't roast you unless you pass through the surface, and it won't render unless you're within the vertical extents.

Try it. Go into free camera mode and teleport yourself into a lava pool without your minifigure passing through the surface.

That's not what I'm saying.

I want it to behave as one would logically think it would behave. For example, if I put a pipe from above the lava down to underneath the bottom extent of the lava, I want the player to be able to enter the pipe without being killed.

Do I have to draw it up in MS Paint? :U
But the pipe would almost certainly melt or warp under such high temperatures and pressures!

We're saying that the fluid dynamics, as of now, doesn't work that way.
Just a sidebar on the train discussions that elfprince and I have been having: with the ability to create trains and tracks comes the possibilities for monorails and also for roller coasters, which could be a lot of fun to explore. Smile
Indeed, roller coasters would be great. Perhaps somebody would be adventurous enough to make a mod that has a coaster that can run along tracks built by players? That would also take a bit of physics, however. Would certainly be cool though.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 10 of 13
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours