When I said to archive ZDCS6 I was talking about the DoorsCS appvar ZDCS6 which I think holds the folder data and whatnot.I archived it on my calc and reset it on purpose just to test and it did seem to be the problem

The custom error messages do tend to crash.Especially when asking to goto a problem in a Basic program.

No offense but the background wasn't exactly a great feature... it makes it too difficult to see the screen.

I don't know about everyone else but, maybe the mouse edit should be an external program.I seem to be fine just using the default and Im sure everyone else feels the same.(Cant really create a better mouse that size...)
Some Ideas for the new DoorsCS 7

(1)Trash Bin feature like Archive Undelete(takes little room and VERY useful)
(2)Archive ZDCS6 appvar before running programs or exitting doors to protect against crashing.
(3)Remove Error messages because they tend to crash.
(4)Add feature that decompiles Asm programs to compress data and re-compiles them to decompress.
(5)Change about screen into a pop-up window to save space.
(6)Remove restart function(no needy)
(7)Remove background feature(makes it too hard to see programs.)
(8)Expand prgm edit to a prgm creater.
(9)Expand Calcnet to allow connection to computer.
(10)Allow Password protection at startup.
Erm, hex takes up more space than the assembled program, just to let you know.
xenonparadox wrote:
Some Ideas for the new DoorsCS 7

(1)Trash Bin feature like Archive Undelete(takes little room and VERY useful)
(2)Archive ZDCS6 appvar before running programs or exitting doors to protect against crashing.
(4)Add feature that decompiles Asm programs to compress data and re-compiles them to decompress.
(5)Change about screen into a pop-up window to save space.
(6)Remove restart function(no needy)
(7)Remove background feature(makes it too hard to see programs.)
(8)Expand prgm edit to a prgm creater.
(9)Expand Calcnet to allow connection to computer.
(10)Allow Password protection at startup.
Didn't I already address all of these in another topic? Here's what I said in that topic:

xenonparadox wrote:
I have some ideas for the new doorscs 7...

(1)Adding trash bin similar to Archive Undelete.

Possible, but I think more cumbersome than useful.

xenonparadox wrote:
(2)Adding built in calc
Waste of space imho

xenonparadox wrote:
(3)Adding password protection
I will finish the SE for that.

xenonparadox wrote:
(4)Archiving ZDCS6 before exitting Doors or running programs to prevent crashing
?? What is ZDCS6?

xenonparadox wrote:
(5)Adding built in Paint similar to DocDE6 that can save programs as pics.
Elfprince is (still?) working on iPaint.

xenonparadox wrote:
(6)Sound Emulation
Already has quad-channel sound routines, as used in mobileTunes 3.

xenonparadox wrote:
(7)Prgm to Hex converter used as a file compresser.
Compressed programs are indeed a possibility. Dunno what you mean by "program to hex converter" though.

xenonparadox wrote:
(8)Expanding program editor to a program that can write and edit programs.
What do you mean?

xenonparadox wrote:
(9)Expanding CalcNet to allow TI to CPU connection.
That is indeed planned if I ever work more on CalcNet2.

xenonparadox wrote:
(10)Adding Built in DocDE6
Nah, it's fine as a 1KB standalone program.

xenonparadox wrote:
(11)Changing about screen to a pop-up window to save room.
It's an interesting idea.

xenonparadox wrote:
(12)Removing custom errors messages as they tend to crash.
Really? Can someone confirm this?

xenonparadox wrote:
(13)Memory manager that rewrites the TI OS to redirect memory from Archive to RAM so larger programs can be run.
. No.

xenonparadox wrote:
(14)Allow hiding of programs.
Possibly.

xenonparadox wrote:
(15)Removing restart function as is unneeded.
Fair enough.

tifreak8x wrote:
hmm.. could agree with 15, it really isn't important, not sure what kind of savings it would have on space.

13 is kind of not possible, if memory serves, as you cannot rewrite the OS in that manner. You can have redirects, and brandonw was working on something similar I believe, but it was highly unstable (if it was the same program)
Indeed, and too nonstandard to be worth including.

tifreak8x wrote:
10 would be a waste of yet another app page, and this program is big enough as is. DocDE was made to show programmers how to use the things DCS does and its libraries.
Only 1KB, actually, but your point stands.

tifreak8x wrote:
9 not really sure on this one. I know the main scope of the linking is being removed, at least currently, until he can get around to making things work.
Correct. See my comment above

tifreak8x wrote:
8 As far as I know, it still allows that in the latest version. it just removes the top name line so you can see 1 more line of code at a time.
Also correct.

tifreak8x wrote:
6 would take up too much space, I am sure. Besides, he already has a media player for that.
Yes and no. It's not a big space thing, and it's already there. As I said above, mobileTunes 3 uses the quadplay routine.

tifreak8x wrote:
5 elfprince was at one time working on this I think, but I do not know what happened to it. I think he stopped development a year or so ago, and not sure if he released the source somewhere or not.

3.. may not be a part of DCS.. but I think he might have developped a program for it? If not, it would be somewhat worthless, as I could take and turn on the calc, pop a battery, and put it back in and gain access to the calc once more.
An SE, as I said somewhere up there.

tifreak8x wrote:
2 not really sure if it is worth it, tho using a key to return to the calc and a quick key press combo to bring it back to DCS would be handy, but it is pretty easy to just press clear to exit DCS and do what is needed, then rerun DCS.

1 not really sure how feasible this is with memory constraints and such, but I will leave that up to him.
xenonparadox wrote:

Won't protect against crashing.

Quote:

Are you retarded?

Quote:

Decompiling makes it LARGER not smaller. Same with converting to hex - that would make it *MUCH* larger.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Quote:

Decompiling makes it LARGER not smaller. Same with converting to hex - that would make it *MUCH* larger.
Specifically, twice as large. Normally, 8 bits are stored in each byte, but when you convert it to "hex", if I understand you correctly, each byte stores an ASCII character that is 0-9 or A-F, so each byte is (effective) only storing 4 bits.
I'm confused. Did he edit the second post after these replies were made?
swivelgames wrote:
I'm confused. Did he edit the second post after these replies were made?
No. His second post was a near-exact duplicate of a post he made yesterday, so I just copied the response I posted in that topic.
Ah I see. I'm guess he's new to the concept for forums?
swivelgames wrote:
I guess so. Hopefully we will be able to transform his netiquette like we did Svakk's. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
swivelgames wrote:
I guess so. Hopefully we will be able to transform his netiquette like we did Svakk's. Smile

Very Happy
Maybe the cemetech community can create DoorsOS 1? Razz

By the way, how does program compression actually work?
Reapex wrote:
Hehe, I was imagining that actually Razz

Instead of DoorsCS, make it a full-fledged OS Very Happy

Probably wouldn't be very easy, especially for one person, so it wouldn't fly Wink
Reapex wrote:

Not too differently than a program like ZIP. The program is compressed and stored as [dictionary][compressed data], then unpacked at runtime. Program writeback is nominally more difficult, as the shell needs to be capable of compressing on-the-fly (and have sufficient space in which to do so.
Reapex wrote:

Not very well, usually. Programs don't compress very well, which is why no one every really bothers with it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours