Let's not all pay attention to the fact that I'm some slightly-old nutcase. I'd rather give some attention to a recent project of mine in my Artistic Game Design class, where I worked with another artist and two programmers to create a game in the awful C4 engine.

http://www.terathon.com/c4engine/index.php

Sure, the screenshots on the website make the engine look cool, but it was a real pain to work with. Anyways, our assignment for the past 7 or so weeks was to create a working early version of any game of our choice. My team's choice was a lofty challenge called Renaissance Man, a genre-switching game.

I made a good portion of the graphics, but I can't take credit for the code. The freaking genius coders I was working with turned a first-person shooter engine into both a platformer AND a turn-based RPG... and the ability to switch between them.

Errr, anyways, you can take a look here:

http://calchaven.net/Wumbo/index.html

I 3D modeled and animated a majority of the graphics--pretty much anything that's not a panda or turtle. I also wrote the little pieces of music that play through the whole thing.

Any questions/comments would be really cool.
Those turtles are pretty awesomely pimped out. g/j. How playable is it?
All parts of the engine thus far work. There's no real NPC interaction yet, and no enemies in Platformer mode. RPG mode is almost fully functional, and you can collect and use items and battle a bunch of monsters. (I didn't make the awesome turtles, but I totally made all the monsters.)

The system requirements are sadly somewhat steep, but still certainly playable. There's a level full of puzzles and RPG battles, and there aren't really major glitches. (You can, however, notice that you can't fall down any pits and die. You just sort of land on the air.)

We're not working any more on this project, but we're gonna be doing some other work in the future with the same people.
Nice job, JC, I look forward to seeing a lot more from you soon. Checking out that C4 engine's website, I'd be interested in checking out the World of Subways game, looks like fun.
Quote:
Nice, if only Bethesda made Oblivion look like some of that does, rather than making half and game and relying on bloom the rest of the way.

^In reference to the C4 engine webpage photos.
Ugh, bloom is freaking awful. A bit works... but just a bit.

I'd like to point out that even on powerhouse computers, the C4 engine runs at incredibly poor framerates. It's not bad for a free engine, but it's certainly no Unreal.
Jc wrote:
Ugh, bloom is freaking awful. A bit works... but just a bit.

I'd like to point out that even on powerhouse computers, the C4 engine runs at incredibly poor framerates. It's not bad for a free engine, but it's certainly no Unreal.
How does it compare to the Cube engine or whatever they're calling that these days, the one that Saurbraten is built off of?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours