magicdanw wrote:
I'm not trying to change the world, and if someone else wants to eat animal meat, that's their choice, I suppose. But I feel responsible if I eat meat, and I'm much happer if I don't.

I don't get that, why do you feel bad if you slaughter an animal to feed yourself? That is the way of the world. You clearly don't feel bad eating grain products, which contribute to the deaths of countless bugs, insects, and small critters (like bunny rabbits - gg murdering bunny rabbits you prick).
Kllrnohj wrote:
magicdanw wrote:
I'm not trying to change the world, and if someone else wants to eat animal meat, that's their choice, I suppose. But I feel responsible if I eat meat, and I'm much happer if I don't.

I don't get that, why do you feel bad if you slaughter an animal to feed yourself? That is the way of the world. You clearly don't feel bad eating grain products, which contribute to the deaths of countless bugs, insects, and small critters (like bunny rabbits - gg murdering bunny rabbits you prick).
Well, now you're just going into chaos theory. There are so many variables in every action we make, that we can't know the exact end result of our actions, and whether it was a more positive or negative result in the grand scheme of things. But I can look at my plate and see that nothing on it was once a conscious critter, and it makes me a little bit happier about my effect on the world, however limited my foresight may be, as a fellow human.
For every animal you won't eat, I will eat five.
magicdanw wrote:
Well, now you're just going into chaos theory. There are so many variables in every action we make, that we can't know the exact end result of our actions, and whether it was a more positive or negative result in the grand scheme of things. But I can look at my plate and see that nothing on it was once a conscious critter, and it makes me a little bit happier about my effect on the world, however limited my foresight may be, as a fellow human.

No, I was just talking about how farming works. Pesticides and other chemicals wipe out insects, and large farming machinery slices and dices bunny rabbits and other small critters that are in the fields.

So your food choice results in this cute little guy getting chopped up just for taking a nap in a field:

Whereas my food choice gives this guy the royal treatment for his life, free from infections, diseases, with food being provided and safety guaranteed up until a clean, quick death:

Seriously, animals raised for slaughter get primo treatment for their life. Its like staying in a high class hotel up until you are 40.
If people weren't meant to eat animals why would they be made out of meat?
noahbaby94 wrote:
If people weren't meant to eat animals why would they be made out of meat?
Are you asking why people are made of meat, or why animals are made of meat? To answer the first question, people's bodies can turn fruits and vegetables into the meat that makes us up. To answer the second question...wtf?!? Humans all made of meat, yet are we "meant" to eat each other? Are we "meant" to do eat anything in particular? As long as it keeps us alive, we can make our own choices, because we have conscious reasoning. Hence my choice.

Kllrnohj wrote:
No, I was just talking about how farming works. Pesticides and other chemicals wipe out insects, and large farming machinery slices and dices bunny rabbits and other small critters that are in the fields.

So your food choice results in this cute little guy getting chopped up just for taking a nap in a field:*bunny*
I most certainly don't condone this occurring. There's a reason to buy organic produce, to avoid pesticides (which are bad for people as well as insects, btw), and to support small local farms that don't mistreat animals.

Kllrnohj wrote:
Whereas my food choice gives this guy the royal treatment for his life, free from infections, diseases, with food being provided and safety guaranteed up until a clean, quick death:*cow*
Seriously, animals raised for slaughter get primo treatment for their life. Its like staying in a high class hotel up until you are 40.
Oh yes, it's a lovely life for animals such as cows, which are often penned up, trodding in their own excrement, so that they grow up to have nice tender meat that people love so much. I'm sure chickens love being put in coops so small that their beaks must be cut off in order that they don't peck each other's eyes out. There are humane farms, but many, many are not.
Anything that was alive at some point is organic. I can sell diseased monkey faces to you, and they are organic too. People should learn what organic means before they start claiming that it means that something is raised a natural and perfect way or something.
Will_W wrote:
Anything that was alive at some point is organic. I can sell diseased monkey faces to you, and they are organic too. People should learn what organic means before they start claiming that it means that something is raised a natural and perfect way or something.
Oh, I'm aware of that. But that seems to be the latest term to keep an eye out for on products, if you're looking for things that are made without pesticides, or that take care to treat animals well.
we should protest against the misuse of the word organic.
magicdanw wrote:
I most certainly don't condone this occurring. There's a reason to buy organic produce, to avoid pesticides (which are bad for people as well as insects, btw), and to support small local farms that don't mistreat animals.

"Organic" and small farms do the same thing as large, non-organic farms. Its the same damn thing. Small critters get caught up in the machinery regardless of farm size, and the organic label is just slapped on to things - it doesn't actually mean anything different. "Organic" farms still use pesticides.

Quote:
Oh yes, it's a lovely life for animals such as cows, which are often penned up, trodding in their own excrement, so that they grow up to have nice tender meat that people love so much. I'm sure chickens love being put in coops so small that their beaks must be cut off in order that they don't peck each other's eyes out. There are humane farms, but many, many are not.

That is what animal rights activists claim, not what actually happens. A vast majority (if not almost all) animals raised for slaughter are treated very well, with special feeds that maximize nutrition. It has nothing to do with nice, it simply makes much, much better business sense for the animals to be in good health.
Cows live the life of luxory; especially if they get chosen to be turned into veal; they get to be waited on hand and foot and don't even have to move to do much of anything, which makes their flesh oh so tender and delicious. Baby cow flesh ftw!

I prefer NY strip to veal. SO DELICIOUS. I'm having some for dinner tonight.
magicdanw wrote:

LOL, Okay, good luck with that for much longer...

Look up the H.R. 875 bill Rolling Eyes
Woohoo, I rescued this thread from the grave as well. Smile
KermMartian wrote:

Kerm is a necromancer! Evil or Very Mad
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Kerm is a necromancer! Evil or Very Mad
<insert the TIFreak Necromancer magic-style card image here>

Yup, something's messy with the database when the last thread in a topic is deleted. I swear Simms and Cemetech are starting to get maliciously sentient. :/
KermMartian wrote:
<insert the TIFreak Necromancer magic-style card image here>

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f143/xxxkrystlblueyezxxx/Stuff/chicken_egg_pete.jpg
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Old, and horrific aliasing on that text. So where were we going with this topic, did we want to go the "yummy-looking fattening food" route or the "overeating is bad" route?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours