http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMX_11DAbTo

This has got to be the worst way to solder on a header I have ever seen.

The proper way to solder on a 10-pin header:

1. Plug the header into the pcb
2. Tape it down with electrical or masking tape
3. Flip the board over, solder 1 corner pin, then the opposite corner pin
4. Solder the rest of the pins individually, then flip the board over and remove the tape
See also: how not to solder surface mount ICs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5qYG95bbz8

Not all YouTube videos on soldering offer the best advice.
He could've easily soldered all of those pins individually (you only want to use the "solder all pins with one giant blob of solder then wick off the excess" on really really fine pitch chips, like a 144 pin LQFP part).
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
He could've easily soldered all of those pins individually (you only want to use the "solder all pins with one giant blob of solder then wick off the excess" on really really fine pitch chips, like a 144 pin LQFP part).
Alternatively, slop on some solder paste and throw it on a heating tray, which works just as well.
I think the idea was to illustrate how to solder SMD components using a conventional soldering iron; that said, blobbing that quantity of solder on and heating the chip for so long can't be a good idea.

When soldering through-hole components I'll usually stick the component down using tape, flip the board over and solder opposite corners first, much as Ultimate Dev'r recommended. I extend this technique to cover all components (as opposed to the technique of bending the legs out first to secure the part before soldering) as it makes unsoldering the component significantly easier if you need to in the future. On that note, I also use sockets wherever possible as it makes swapping out faulty parts or recycling them later much easier - not to mention it reduces the chances of overheating them when soldering.
There would be no chance of overheating chips if you socketed them (unless you're soldering the socket with the chip in place Neutral)
More bad soldering:

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours