So, I'm just wondering. What kind of music are all of you into? I'll give some examples for myself:

Genres: Many; dance, techno, some hiphop, some rock, some pop, and some others. Mainly, I dislike country, western, and hard rock and stuff.

Favorite Artist: Basshunter

Why I like techno: I'm Russian, and I grew up with it, and it stuck.

So, how about you guys?
folk
rock
techno/pop/electronic

*not* hip-hop/rap/anything with unintelligible lyrics
Parody mainly weird al.
elfprince13 wrote:
folk
rock
techno/pop/electronic

*not* hip-hop/rap/anything with unintelligible lyrics

when i said some hiphop, it was because of the beats, and not the lyrics. I completely agree about teh part of unintelligible lyrics. For example, and this is complete spontaneous "hiphopin": Slap my ho, slap my ho, i get my money and slap my ho.

Err, not the smartest of musicians.
Blech! No hiphop for me. I mean, I get why peple like it for the powerful beat, but that's just not for me. (Too much bass seems to makes me feel ill, as a matter of fact.)

Personally, I listen to Rock in the Puck spectrum, although the specific definition of that is pretty bread, in that many people dispute just what Punk is these days.

Basically, I listen to music if I like how it sounds, and most of the bands that I like would call at least some of their songs punk.

Stuff like System of a Down, you know.
Rock (+most variants)
Metal
Classical

NOT Rap or Country - absolutely terrible music
I'm with Kllrnohj here on Rap and Country music. I currently like some classical and oldies, techno (dance, not house or trance), and of course lots of symphonic rock like Dream Theater, Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, etc.
Dance, House, Trance, Orcchestra/Classical, Electronica, Rock, Alternative.

As for artists...
Enigma, Sleepthief, t.A.T.u, 30H!3, Angels & Airwaves, Imogen Heap, B.T.
tATu is pretty good, but I only like one song from Imogen Heap.
I myself prefer Rock music, from Punk Rock to Heavy Metal and from Pop/Rock to Folk. Some Electro too.

Quote:
Why I like techno: I'm Russian, and I grew up with it, and it stuck.

I'm Russian too, but I don't like techno much. ;P
Basshunter is the worst "artist" ever.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Basshunter is the worst "artist" ever.

Howso? I like his music. Plus, I would bet all the money I possess that 9 out of 10 people you survey would find somebody way worse than him (not that I'm saying he's bad).
I fully agree with the t.A.t.U. reasoning.

As for my tastes, I like ska, punk, some hardcore, nerdcore hiphop, classic rock/metal, and dance/techno. I like rap when I go out dancing, but never just listen to it.
Swoll_Monkey wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
Swoll_Monkey wrote:
T.a.t.u. as in the lesbians?

Why do you think he likes them? There music is just OK, the rest of their "performance" is great Wink

0x5. I only like the russian versions of their songs because they fit better.

Lawl. They're actually not lesbians, and they're sound is very catchy. I do prefer the Russian versions better, but listen to the English so I can understand what they say.
Oh, I disagree with Nikky here about BassHunter, by the way. His quality is very inconsistent, but the good ones are excellent imo,.
Bumpity bump. It's been a long time since we've held a discussion about favorite musical genres / groups / songs, so I'd like to get this going again, especially to hear the opinions of the newer members. My hypothesis is that as a rule we all tend towards rhythmic music like techno/dance and symphonic rock/metal, which are my two favorites. Validate my hypothesis.
I prefer to listen to rock, including classic and anything new. Techno although i haven't listened to any good techno songs in awhile. I don't mind country, though i will not go out of my way to buy a CD or listen to it. Rap/ hip-hop is also one of my favorite, even though everyone here seems to hate it lol. I like listening to it, and between that and rock helps work go by faster and calms me down after a bad day.
When I read the title of this post, I was really hoping this was going to be a music theory discussion. Sad
Anyway, I suppose I'll weigh in. There is at least one album from every major western genre (for the sake of this argument, these are what I call the major genres: Electronic, Folk, Gospel, Hip Hop/Rap, Jazz, Orchestral/Classical, Rock, and Show Tunes; almost all western music can be distilled to some intersection of these categories), and a good deal of "eastern" (like Gamelan, etc.) music on my computer. I mainly listen to rock (the kind that most people mistakenly call emo). My favorite bands are Brand New and Taking Back Sunday, so those are pretty good indicators of what I mostly listen to. I've also got a lot of music by Manchester Orchestra, Iron & Wine, Chopin, Brahms, Dr. Dre, Bright Eyes, Daft Punk, Modest Mouse, Johnny Cash, The Decemberists, the list goes on and on.
I just like music. And I really like music theory.
I've moved more towards hard & jumpstyle now; Zany & Showtek. I also have a few continuous mixes by "various" artists. Some "softer" jumpstyle artists include Scooter, Manian & ItaloBrothers.

Other genres are like an Alternative-Alternative. It's Dance, Alternative, Screamo. And it's a good mix when you listen to the right songs. The song isn't entirely screamo - I could never put up with that - but rather it's in the background (and sometimes in the foreground) of the song as the other lyrics are being sung. A good modern day band of this genre is Breath Carolina.

Non-Hard & Jumpstyle artists include Hollywood Undead, Breath Carolina, Dream Techno.

And I still like: BT & Angels & Airwaves.
I like (mostly English) Classic Rock, J-Rock, and J-Pop.
Mainly, I'm one of those people who likes individual songs or artists. Sometimes I like an artist for one song. Sometimes I like a genre for one artist. So, that doesn't mean the aforementioned genres are the only genres I like. `-`

Favorite bands/artists are JAM Project, The Who, and Rick Astley (no lie there Razz)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours