As per the many comments, items of feedback, and angry complaints I have received about the beta of the MIDI to mobileTunes 3 song converter, I have upgraded it with a plethora of new functionality and believe it's just about ready to come out of beta. I was inspired to do this by bug reports a few days ago of features that were very easily fixed, which then led me to tackle the more challenging problems. Among the things I have added to and changed about the converter:

:: Full integration into the Cemetech6 template system
:: Support for so-called "running status," which fixes a lot of the "unknown event" problems into which people were running
:: Better support for files that omit the Note Off events and use Note On on the same channel to indicate all notes off.
:: A clearer track visualization system
:: Complete automated handling of single channels that contain more than one simultaneous note
:: Automatically attempts to merge channels if there are more than four channels (or simultaneous notes) selected for conversion
:: Improved time signature handling, should now match oncalc output songs closely to their original MIDI tempo

Feel free to head to the converter, give it a try, and post bug reports in the attached topic.

mobileTunes 3 Converter
Well I have just the song I want to try but I'll need a mp3(I think its mp3) to mid converter first.
Well, the whole subchannel thing is very buggy for me. Additionally, many of the songs I sent through the converter had messed up notes, with the beginning being one, very long note that alternates channels (the tempo might be messed up...?). Oh, and the merging tracks feature becomes less and less accurate the more tracks there are to merge. At one song with 23 channels, the converter totally screwed up, but I guess it was overkill.

Here is a suggestion for merging: before the traditional merging routine is started, how about the converter checks for any notes that play simultaneously over different channels and merges those first? Also, is it possible to put notes from the excess channels into the empty sections of the normal ones?
Yeah, I should have mentioned: the merge feature is not meant to merge 23 channels. Razz It's meant to compensate for one or two channels where the musician or composer felt it necessary to put a different, nonoverlapping section in a separate track.
I've been getting a mixed result with this one song. The first few notes are spot on, and then this weird high-pitched note comes in and masks everything else. If you want to look into it, I've uploaded the zip file containing the original MIDI, the source code given by the converter, and the program assembled using TASM. Here is the link.
The only suspicious thing I see there is this:

note(bb1,rest,rest,f4,78889/tempo)

That's a bit of a long (and very high - 4th octave) note. Also, if you continue to look at the 4th channel through the rest of the source code, it continues to run 4th octave notes. Perhaps don't use whatever track is causing that?
Kerm, I discovered the problem: one of my tracks had two subchannels, a low-pitched one and a high-pitched one. Both played in a staccato format (quick but short bursts). The converter screwed up, did not recognize the two subchannels, and replaced a long, high-pitched note with the short bursts. The reason the first couple of notes were spot on is because the high pitched notes only come in after 1.5 seconds. I cannot remove this track, as the notes in it are crucial to the melody of the music.
Delnar_Ersike wrote:
Kerm, I discovered the problem: one of my tracks had two subchannels, a low-pitched one and a high-pitched one. Both played in a staccato format (quick but short bursts). The converter screwed up, did not recognize the two subchannels, and replaced a long, high-pitched note with the short bursts. The reason the first couple of notes were spot on is because the high pitched notes only come in after 1.5 seconds. I cannot remove this track, as the notes in it are crucial to the melody of the music.
OK, excellent, good find. I'll go take a look at that.

Edit: replicated your problem. I'll see what I can do to figure out why that's happening and how to fix it.
Ahh, sorry for the bump, but:

When I try to convert a .mid file, it pops up a "fatal error".
And it shows like 8 PHP errors on the top of the page.
Fixable?
Reapex wrote:
Ahh, sorry for the bump, but:

When I try to convert a .mid file, it pops up a "fatal error".
And it shows like 8 PHP errors on the top of the page.
Fixable?
I am unable to replicate your error. Please give me more detail about the circumstances of the error.
Well there is a certain file..
http://www.mididatabase.com/19841988/rock/metallica/RideTheLightning.mid

Downloaded it and attempted to convert, but it does not apear to function correctly.
The song is like 6:30.
It might be the way that my browser is setup, who knows :\
Reapex wrote:
Well there is a certain file..
http://www.mididatabase.com/19841988/rock/metallica/RideTheLightning.mid

Downloaded it and attempted to convert, but it does not apear to function correctly.
The song is like 6:30.
It might be the way that my browser is setup, who knows :\
Your file is corrupted. If you open that midi in a text editor, you get:

Quote:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>403 Forbidden</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Forbidden</h1>
<p>You don't have permission to access /19841988/rock/metallica/RideTheLightning.mid
on this server.</p>
</body></html>

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours