Hey all, I wanted to bring the FC Sulphur release to focus and see if anyone has used it yet.

I finished downloading it yesterday but haven't yet installed it. I'm wondering if anyone has used it yet or not. I'll be installing it probably sometime this week and I'll have my usual dual os up because I can't live with out the benefits of having XP (games, essential applications, et cetera), even though it is a pain having Windows.

So really this thread is about asking: has anyone used it yet? If so what do you like about it and what do you not like about it.

Fedora Project Homepage
Haven't used it at all; in fact, I've never used any version of Fedora Core.
people have told me to avoid KDE4 because it's buggy, but I hear it's good.

I'm going to try linux for the first time once I fix vista lol.
I've used it since FC6. I didn't ever take the time to put it back on once my computer got wiped out, but I went to go get FC8 about a month ago and decided to wait the "28 days" until Sulphur was released.

I'm looking to try it out and see how it is. I'll post about it as well if anyone is interested. I've been pretty satisfied with Fedora Core in the past, of course, its not as great for servers as other versions.
Who uses Fedora?
Everyone knows that debian kicks the crap out of fedora...
I'm using Fedora 9 right now. KDE 4 is really buggy, but the GNOME theme looks really nice.
Hmm, Fedora 9 live USB anyone? At least thats my only option ATM. but hopefully that will change soon.
bfr, have you used Fedora before? Any major changes?
Fedora uses a new version of X.Org, which means that the nVidia driver (kmod-nvidia) doesn't work (which basically means no programs that require 3-D hardware acceleration for me, like OpenArena or desktop effects). And besides KDE 4, that's the only major update I can think of.
Hmm, not good. Doesn't Ubuntu use X.Org? If so I might not be able to use it because thats what was hindering me from installing Ubuntu I'm pretty sure. Thats a real disappointment...

Well, I already have it downloaded, I think I'll give it a shot. Worst thing that could happen is I no longer have the ability to boot directly to Windows and have to type the commands manually into grub every time I boot up. (that was hell when I tried to install Ubuntu...). There was probably an easy solution to my problems actually, I just couldn't find it personally.
Ubuntu/Kubuntu FTW!

@Swivel: Pretty much any distro released within the last 2-4 years uses X.org, and I highly doubt it won't work on your rig. And of course, you can always use the binary nvidia drivers which work fine on the latest Xorg. I'm using the 172.08 drivers just fine.
Eh, I think it was talking about something like an "X Server" or something that it had a problem with. Not sure if theres any differences with those, I'm personally not a complete Linux geek, though I've been meaning to get around to learning my fair share. I just can't get past Windows... I need it too badly... Microsoft a holes... you and your software monopoly.
I like Xubuntu but some things are just easier to do in windows. I have yet to try Fedora which looks great but Windows is on top for reason.
TheStorm wrote:
I like Xubuntu but some things are just easier to do in windows. I have yet to try Fedora which looks great but Windows is on top for reason.

The reason is that it MS has a marketing division and OEM relations, and that Bill Gates is a damn good business man. There isn't any other reason (and before someone mentions "user friendliness" - sorry, but no, up until XP Windows was definitely not user friendly)

And if you find some things easier to do in Windows you are doing it wrong.
TheStorm wrote:
Hmm, Fedora 9 live USB anyone? At least thats my only option ATM. but hopefully that will change soon.

I have never made a live usb, I have made livecds however, and installed linux, how does one make a live usb (I am guessing copying all files from a livecd, or installation).
Glenn wrote:
TheStorm wrote:

I have never made a live usb, I have made livecds however, and installed linux, how does one make a live usb (I am guessing copying all files from a livecd, or installation).

lufg Pendrivelinux.com if I remeber corectly, some ditos make it easy to do a persistent install and others don't, oh well.
Yeah, it works pretty much the same way. The computer just sees it as a bootable device. (I think)

I'll be burning Sulphur onto a DVD probably tonight if I don't get myself caught up in programming.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours