Meh, the SDK is being released in February, this will let people use the full potential of the great hardware the iPhone has.
I don't believe it, sry Razz
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Meh, the SDK is being released in February, this will let people use the full potential of the great hardware the iPhone has.

*IS RUMORED* to be released in February. I'll believe it when I see it. Then again, their definition of "SDK" may just be some JavaScript libraries :/

I'll take Windows Mobile anyday - I can do Win32 C/C++ and any .NET language (.NET 2.0 framework ftw!). That, and I get to use the excellent Visual Studio to program for it, including the forms designer. Hell, if I really wanted to I could probably port (or find a port of) Python for my phone... Very Happy
So I just jailbroke my iphone with ZiPhone, and on the downloadable apps list there are Ruby, Perl, Python, PHP, and several other runtime environments, too bad I don't know any of those Sad But i've been having a lot of fun with the NES emu Very Happy
/me continues waiting for a phone running Android
The Tari wrote:
/me continues waiting for a phone running Android

I like the idea of Google doing an OS, but I'm not so certain about Android. I'm really not a fan at all of Java, so I'll stick to my Windows Mobile for now (C++ Win32 and .NET are supported, w00t)
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
So I just jailbroke my iphone with ZiPhone, and on the downloadable apps list there are Ruby, Perl, Python, PHP, and several other runtime environments, too bad I don't know any of those Sad But i've been having a lot of fun with the NES emu Very Happy

With Windows mobile you can load any external app you want onto it no need to "jailbreak" it.
Kllrnohj wrote:
I like the idea of Google doing an OS, but I'm not so certain about Android. I'm really not a fan at all of Java, so I'll stick to my Windows Mobile for now (C++ Win32 and .NET are supported, w00t)

I'm not a fan of Java either, but how about Jython?

It still won't be C++, but it's better than Java.
I would definitely not buy an iPhone simply because it's far beyond my budget to get one... Unfortunately, I could get a HTC Mogul from Sprint. And I read an article recently about modding the HTC Mogul to a iPhone. I think i might try it out...

Here's the article:
http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/253/47/
Wait, Jython? You're layering a fast, efficient language on top of one of the most bloated programming platforms ever? No thanks.
It will require some modification to get it running on Android anyway, but layering Python over Java is better than just using Java, eh?
KermMartian wrote:
Wait, Jython? You're layering a fast, efficient language on top of one of the most bloated programming platforms ever? No thanks.

My thoughts exactly - lets run a scripting language on top of the balls slow Java platform on an already low-powered platform (lets face it, smartphones aren't packing much in the CPU/RAM area Wink )

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours