duno much really so here's what I've got so far. oh btw, IDK if the parts are even compatible thanks!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM
GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
SAPPHIRE 100222L Radeon HD 2900PRO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-550-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01 550W Power Supply 110-115V/ 220-230V Nemko, TUV, cUL, CE, BSM, FCC, CCC - Retail
COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner - Retail
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

~$650 w/ tax after the few rebates.

I just want to be able to play oblivion on decent settings actually ^^ old news ^^
Your first mistake is getting AMD.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Your first mistake is getting AMD.
Disagree, we have some very efficient workstations at school running the Brisbane family.
Spend an extra hundred or so on a 3850, if I remember correctly, [H] did not have good things to say about the 2000 series... (I am guessing, don't tear me to pieces if I am wrong =P )
Harq wrote:
Spend an extra hundred or so on a 3850, if I remember correctly, [H] did not have good things to say about the 2000 series... (I am guessing, don't tear me to pieces if I am wrong =P )

Wow, that is completely pointless and a waste of bandwidth. Saying "don't tear me to pieces [because I'm a dumbass]" is pretty lame too.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Harq wrote:

Wow, that is completely pointless and a waste of bandwidth. Saying "don't tear me to pieces [because I'm a dumbass]" is pretty lame too.
Now that is some skillful flamebait.
First, avoid the 2xxx series like the plague - it is HORRIBLE. Get the ATI 3870 512mb or the 512mb 8800GT. Avoid the 256mb cards as well - they run out of RAM all too quickly... (if you can't afford that, look for a 512mb 3850 - they do exist and are a bit cheaper than the 3870)

Second, AMD is solidly in second place (despite what Kerm indicates - he doesn't know what he is talking about Razz ) - the Intel Core 2 Duos are faster (and more efficient) and will overclock like you wouldn't believe (2ghz Intel C2Ds hit 3ghz without any voltage increase easily).

Third mistake I see: Why on earth would you get a craptacular motherboard with onboard video only to buy a video card? Talk about pissing away your money.

Oh, and that RAM is teh suxx0rz, and so is the PSU

New motherboard (if you are going to stick with AMD): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128014

New motherboard (Intel): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131189

New CPU (Intel): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116036

New RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227089

New PSU (well worth the extra money): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004
thanks for the advice Kllrnohj idk much about choosing parts

also, I didn't know even >$100 intels were better than >$100 AMDs right now. I thought it had to be E4xxx or above to be really good? or maybe I'm just n00b. does that processor OC as easily on stock cooling as others?

o.o for the price range, the 3870 blows a similarly priced Nvidia out of the water right? might consider one of those in the future

and what defines good RAM and PSU and mobo?

thanks for the help!

btw, I got Morrowind, so actually, I don't think I'm going to bother to make a new comp for awhile. it's really fun, so I look forward to whenever I try out oblivion.
Liazon wrote:
thanks for the advice Kllrnohj idk much about choosing parts

also, I didn't know even >$100 intels were better than >$100 AMDs right now. I thought it had to be E4xxx or above to be really good? or maybe I'm just n00b. does that processor OC as easily on stock cooling as others?

Its an Allendale core, the same core that is in the higher end C2Ds. However, I think you meant <$100 there, not > Wink To answer the second part of that, it should OC just fine on stock cooling.

Quote:
o.o for the price range, the 3870 blows a similarly priced Nvidia out of the water right? might consider one of those in the future

No, the 8800GT owns the 3870's face. If you can't find an 8800GT in stock at MSRP ($250), then yes, go for a 3870 (MSRP $210 I think).

Quote:
and what defines good RAM and PSU and mobo?

Good RAM means tight timings (CAS 4 RAM is better than CAS 5 RAM, for example). A good PSU can only be determined through a GOOD stress test (see http://hardocp.com/reviews.html?cat=NDUsUG93ZXIgU3VwcGxpZXMgLyBQU1UsaGVudGh1c2lhc3Q= for some of the best PSU testing around. Do note, most sites are *not* equipped to properly test a PSU - and by most I mean all but like 3)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours