What are some external renderers that you guys would recommend? So far i have found indigo but it says it takes 2-4 hours for a simple seen and even longer for complex ones, i have also found POVray, but have yet to try it.
2-4 hours sounds totally off the mark - and its "scene"

But thats not the point, you don't judge a raytrace renderer by its speed, but by its quality. Most will be similar in speed, and similar in quality, so you are just going to have to suck it up and wait. Or by a new CPU, your call.
Kllrnohj wrote:

But thats not the point, you don't judge a raytrace renderer by its speed, but by its quality. Most will be similar in speed, and similar in quality, so you are just going to have to suck it up and wait. Or by a new CPU, your call.
a new CPU sounds totally off the mark - and it's "buy" Laughing
KermMartian wrote:
a new CPU sounds totally off the mark - and it's "buy" 0x5

Psh, my CPU renders scenes in like 40 seconds, and raytracing is done on the CPU - so how is that "off the mark"? Razz
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
a new CPU sounds totally off the mark - and it's "buy" 0x5

Psh, my CPU renders scenes in like 40 seconds, and raytracing is done on the CPU - so how is that "off the mark"? Razz
If you don't have decent speed/quantity of RAM and a swift FSB, you're not going to do that well even on a good CPU.
KermMartian wrote:
If you don't have decent speed/quantity of RAM and a swift FSB, you're not going to do that well even on a good CPU.

Only if it is Intel - if it is AMD the FSB hasn't changed in years Razz Besides, as long as your RAM doesn't bottom out and you aren't using the page file, that won't be nearly as much of a limiting factor as CPU speed will.
I was more pointing out your grammatical mistake, which was especially ironic considering the full contents of your post.
KermMartian wrote:
I was more pointing out your grammatical mistake, which was especially ironic considering the full contents of your post.

Yes, I know. I was more trying to draw attention away from that Razz
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Yes, I know. I was more trying to draw attention away from that Razz
Fair enough. Now that we're done squabbling, does anyone have anything else constructive to say on this topic?
Yeah sure. I found something called poseray that works really well, and is supposed to go along with POVray so i am going to try them out on an object and see what i can come up with.
lafferjm wrote:
Yeah sure. I found something called poseray that works really well, and is supposed to go along with POVray so i am going to try them out on an object and see what i can come up with.
Excellent, let us know how it works out. What is PoseRay exactly? Figure renderer?
It basically allows you to set the materials and lighting for use with the POVray renderer. Of course it also has its own renderer included.

One other program i have found is ani2pov which converts .an8 to .pov files so i can also try out POVray by itself at sime time.
Kllrnohj wrote:

The reason it takes so long is because it is an unbiased one (progressive). It gets better over time, but is ultra realistic and does not take shortcuts like biased ones do (global illumination etc.)

It is in the same camp as fry renderer and maxwell renderer. Here is its gallery =) (the amazing thing is it is developed by 1 guys =O )

http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=26
KermMartian wrote:
lafferjm wrote:
Excellent, let us know how it works out. What is PoseRay exactly? Figure renderer?

Here is one sample render using the poseray/povray combo:

and here is one using a modellers internal renderer:

right now i am working on learning the basics of the povray renderer that way i don't have to go through so many steps, and will have more freedom in what i do.
That has REALLY bad aliasing around the edges in the second one. It probably has an option in the renderer Smile

I like the other though Wink
There was an option for it and i choose it, which is why i like the poseray/povray combo.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours