saw this today, pretty scary stuff.
A couple of the college students in my calculus class were freaking out about it, because they got emails over their fall break saying they might have to evacuate their dorms if they were still on campus.
http://www.wptz.com/news/14395731/detail.html
Wow, that's pretty crazy. At least it was freight, not passengers, but 10-12 tank cars of gasoline. Shock
great, there go the gas prices (any little excuse they can use to raise them here, they do).
10-12 cars won't affect the gas prices in the least bit. Sheesh.
rivereye wrote:
great, there go the gas prices (any little excuse they can use to raise them here, they do).

OMG CONSPIRACY THEORY!!! Quick, everyone, grab your tinfoil hats! Rolling Eyes
allynfolksjr wrote:
10-12 cars won't affect the gas prices in the least bit. Sheesh.
*Scuffs*
I'm sure it won't this time, but trust me, those oil companies are looking for anything to jack up the prices and earn a little extra pocket change.

And least you guys don't have it bad as we do here in the suburbs of San Diego... Sad
jfabi82 wrote:
*Scuffs*
I'm sure it won't this time, but trust me, those oil companies are looking for anything to jack up the prices and earn a little extra pocket change.

And least you guys don't have it bad as we do here in the suburbs of San Diego... Sad

Why should I trust you? Are you moderately high up on the corporate ladder for an oil company? If so, which one? If you aren't, please spare us your worthless musings into matters you have zero expertise or knowledge in.
I was about to ask why I should trust you, but it seems Kllrnohj already covered that point. Smile
Maybe we should just enact government-regulated price restrictions if you're concerned about the price of gas so much, and we'll see how much you like that. Smile
allynfolksjr wrote:
I was about to ask why I should trust you, but it seems Kllrnohj already covered that point. Smile
Maybe we should just enact government-regulated price restrictions if you're concerned about the price of gas so much, and we'll see how much you like that. Smile
That sounds like a fine idea to me, given that I don't drive or own a car and always either walk or take public transportation. Cool
KermMartian wrote:
That sounds like a fine idea to me, given that I don't drive or own a car and always either walk or take public transportation. Cool

Yes, because public transportation runs on magical super fuel and doesn't use any gas whatsoever Rolling Eyes (yes, I know subways don't run on gas - but buses do).
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Yes, because public transportation runs on magical super fuel and doesn't use any gas whatsoever Rolling Eyes (yes, I know subways don't run on gas - but buses do).

QFT.

And what about those of us who live in areas that don't have public transportation? The idea simply isn't feasible where I live, so people in rural areas would suffer more. What we need is alternative fuel, and in a usable form. What we need even more than that a government that is less inclined to being swayed by lobbying and soft monies.
alex10819 wrote:
And what about those of us who live in areas that don't have public transportation? The idea simply isn't feasible where I live, so people in rural areas would suffer more. What we need is alternative fuel, and in a usable form. What we need even more than that a government that is less inclined to being swayed by lobbying and soft monies.

But don't worry, my friend said that when the Europeans have fusion we won't need SUVs anymore (seriously, he actually said that). So naturally our gas consumption will drop then...
Well, see, most people don't know it, but they've already invented cold fusion. In fact, cold fusion is the process by which laptop batteries are charged. When electrons from your wall outlet enter the battery, they fuse to already existing electrons to create protons, thus, cold fusion. If you open a laptop battery, you'll see electrical tape. It's called electrical tape because it conducts electricity, thus making the super-electrons (also known as protons) work more efficiently.
alex10819 wrote:
Well, see, most people don't know it, but they've already invented cold fusion. In fact, cold fusion is the process by which laptop batteries are charged. When electrons from your wall outlet enter the battery, they fuse to already existing electrons to create protons, thus, cold fusion. If you open a laptop battery, you'll see electrical tape. It's called electrical tape because it conducts electricity, thus making the super-electrons (also known as protons) work more efficiently.

No dude, you got it all wrong - electrical tape holds electrons together, duh.

And everyone knows you need a giant block of ice to get cold fusion: http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=050217
oh. oops. Makes sense, I guess...
heya spambot, welcome to cemetech, enjoy your ban here Very Happy
brian929 wrote:
That sounds like a fine idea to me, given that I don't drive or own a car and always either walk or take public transportation.Besides, I think as the public transportation runs on magical super fuel and doesn't use any vgp-bps2 gas whatsoever Rolling Eyes (yes, I know subways don't run on gas - but buses do).

Banninating the countryside!
Good job, necroposting spam bot, you learned to copy and paste!
KermMartian wrote:
Good job, necroposting spam bot, you learned to copy and paste!
'

it gained 3 coherence points.

on topic: that does seem scary, good thing it didn't explode (yeah yeah, old topic is old..)
Kllrnohj wrote:
(yes, I know subways don't run on gas - but buses do).

I write to you from my seat on Seattle's Route 43, which is powered from overhead electric wires.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours