Most of you probably know about the game Portal. Most of you also think it is impossible for calcs (at least for z80). However, recently I have found an interesting Flash game that tries to clone (somewhat successfully) the game Portal in Flash. Here it is.

I was thinking: if so many people have created clones for flash games or are creating them (Linerider, NGame, etc.), why can't somebody create a clone of this game? Sure it won't be first person, but the concept is there, and that is what makes Portal unique. I cannot make it as I do not have sufficient knowledge of assembly, but someone else who has nothing else to do can.
Except physics calculations would kill it I'm guessing. I doubt it could really be done, even if it is in 2d. That, and how would you aim? arrow keys ftl!
Kllrnohj wrote:
Except physics calculations would kill it I'm guessing. I doubt it could really be done, even if it is in 2d. That, and how would you aim? arrow keys ftl!
2D physics with a dual-layer graphics/collision system would be pretty easy and would probably run decently, contrary to what Kllrnohj said (Acelgoyobis, anyone?). Nevertheless, I agree with Kllrnohj that the controls would be pretty awkward.
You could have a left and right aiming button that just turns where you are looking and draws a line as a "laser sight" I guess...
Up, left, right down to move guy, mode,XtON,alpha, stat to move cursor and 2nd,del to shoot portals.
KermMartian wrote:
2D physics with a dual-layer graphics/collision system would be pretty easy and would probably run decently, contrary to what Kllrnohj said (Acelgoyobis, anyone?). Nevertheless, I agree with Kllrnohj that the controls would be pretty awkward.

The placement/removal of portals would alter the collision world. I'm not sure how much of an affect that would have...

@Areign: The whole draw of portal is that you can place portals anywhere. There is no control scheme available on the calculator that would allow for the rapid placement of portals necessary for the various maneuvers, such as the fling (where you have to place a portal in midair at the location you will land so that you fall through it without loosing momentum).
I think that a better control mechanism would be

arrows to move
2nd to fire 1 portal
mode to fire other portal
alpha to delete both portals
y1 to move aim left
y2 to move aim right

Make the aim move around in a circle , it would make it a lot easier to aim than with 4 keys Rolling Eyes

You could also have:
y1 move aim left
y2 aim opposite direction
y3 move aim right
There is still the issue of not having a rapid, yet precise, method of control. Play portal and you'll see what I mean.

That, and how would you fit in everything on the screen? I think it will be more frustrating than fun if the "camera" is scrolling around, as it will make the puzzles much harder...
I've got to agree with Kllrnohj, it just would seem either way to hard, to slow, or it would be horribly mutilated.
Kllrnohj wrote:
There is still the issue of not having a rapid, yet precise, method of control. Play portal and you'll see what I mean.

That, and how would you fit in everything on the screen? I think it will be more frustrating than fun if the "camera" is scrolling around, as it will make the puzzles much harder...

Well, there is no moving camera in the 2D Flash Portal, but I see what you mean: either you put some detail in and forced to create a moving camera or make it look like Stickmanofdoom's StickSoldiers clone with no moving camera. I guess it'll be the author's decision...
Delnar_Ersike wrote:
Well, there is no moving camera in the 2D Flash Portal, but I see what you mean: either you put some detail in and forced to create a moving camera or make it look like Stickmanofdoom's StickSoldiers clone with no moving camera. I guess it'll be the author's decision...

Even the simplest of stick figures is far too large. The flash version is about 800px wide by 450px tall - there is no way the tiny 96x64 (or whatever) resolution screen can hold even a fraction of the required detail without a massively panning camera.
Seems to me, the smallest possible (usable) stick figure would be what, 6 pixels high, and 3 wide... add in a couple pixels for a portal gun... Levels would have to scroll, if only to accomodate the fact that jumping would take up a quarter of the screen...
alex10819 wrote:
Seems to me, the smallest possible (usable) stick figure would be what, 6 pixels high, and 3 wide... add in a couple pixels for a portal gun... Levels would have to scroll, if only to accomodate the fact that jumping would take up a quarter of the screen...

And you have to differentiate between walls, so unless it is in grayscale you then have to have patterns for walls.
And the different kinds of portals would also require grayscale or different patterns...and they'd have to be 10px high or more...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours