Between two of the last three days, I've managed to successfully install, shall we say, a new piece of input hardware in the case of one of my bricked TI-83+s. It's pretty sweet, so it got me seriously considering an upgrade of the original Ultimate Calculator. If I decide to go through with this, there would be, at least:

» This new piece of input hardware instead of the case windows on the back
» A brand new, more professional paint job based on my experiences with the first one
» The PS/2 port and CSA screen from the first Ultimate Calculator intact
» An upgraded CSA built for brighter LEDs and a more useful backlighting experience
» The possibilities of additional LEDs and/or case windows to add that extra "wow" factor
» New modular connector between the front and back halves of the calculator to make disassembly and reassembly easier

Let me know if you have any suggestions and if you think I should take the few hours to go through with this.
I have one suggestion.... take lost of Pics. LOL :p

Edit: I agree with Kllrnohj get the site up and running then go back to you ultimate calc. Or you could make a few additions to Doc DE that have been suggested. But either way finish the site first.
I have a suggestion: Rather than taking on another project, fix this site already Razz (*cough, archives, cough*)
I agree with kllrnohj on this one. I have voiced my opinion to you a number of times on your archive system.
Fair enough, archives first, then the UltCalc2.
pics, or it didn't happen

Wink

what kind of input? microphone? xbox controller? webcam?
sounds cool whatever it is.
elfprince13 wrote:
pics, or it didn't happen

Wink...
Holy sh*t, a touchpad! Surprised A much better idea for a calc than a PS/2 mouse, that's for sure... You even wrote the drivers for it, or did you use/modify the PS/2 mouse driver?
Delnar_Ersike wrote:
Holy sh*t, a touchpad! Surprised A much better idea for a calc than a PS/2 mouse, that's for sure...

I'm pretty sure that's my much better idea, posted over at UnitedTI in August. (If KermMartian did think of it first, I apologize, but I haven't seen anyone else post the idea, here or on UnitedTI.)

http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=7034&view=findpost&p=111790
Quote:
Now that I think about it...if there were a cheap supplier of transparent touch screens that could fit over the TI-83+ series screen...and had a serial connection...that would be an awesome mod! I'm sure KermMartian would have a blast adding touchscreen input to DCS! biggrin.gif
Actually, iirc, I was the one who suggested a touchpad mounted on the back of the case instead of a PS/2 mouse. Now if only I can find the post... But I'd rather not argue over what has already happened.

And remember, this is a touchpad, not a touchscreen. Wink
Oh, I see. I thought KermMartian had put a transparent touch screen over the LCD. Sorry.
Holy Hot-glue Batman =o
No, I thought of this a long time ago, but didn't have the technical skills to put it together.

Anyway, this is completely done, I just need to spray sealant over the 53x`/ paint job.

Edit: After my DSP test next week I'll post pictures and a description of the process I used to create the various components.
So... Have you taken pictures yet, or have you been busy with other things? I really interested to see how this turned out.
rax14207 wrote:
So... Have you taken pictures yet, or have you been busy with other things? I really interested to see how this turned out.
I've been really busy with other things, but suffice it to say this worked out quite well. Very Happy
I was curious if you could use the touchpad portion of a Nintendo DS screen. The upper(touchpad) portion is easily separated from the lcd, and you can buy them for under 15$ on ebay quite frequently. They do not have any circuit attached, and I assume this is a part of the DS motherboard. From the wires from the touchscreen, would it be possible to interface with a calc? I know you would have to build a circuit to convert the analog resistance on the lines from the touchpad to a digital signal. Does anyone know how to/have any suggestions?
It would be a pain in the neck; you're much better off just using a ps/2 or USB-based device and connecting it that way. In other news, I hope to finish off the Ultimate Calc over my winter break; basically I just need to resand, repaint, and seal it.
*bump* All done except for sanding, painting a second layer, and varnishing; I'll stop at Utrecht (more blue) and KMart (varnish) today and try to find the right materials. I also decided to spiff up a matching mini-PS/2 mouse as I did for the first Ult Calc; luckily I have a spare. Last item of business, a logo!

I like the logo...Is it going to be applied by means of a inkjet printed decal to the calc itself?
elite.lumberjack wrote:
I like the logo...Is it going to be applied by means of a inkjet printed decal to the calc itself?
Nah, nothing like that, I just like to make logos for my projects. Very Happy This one's a hint to how the calculator itself looks.

Edit: got more paint and sealant, sanded down the three pieces, laid down the base coat. Next coat at 5pm EST.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours