Next Contest?
Board Game
 6%  [ 1 ]
Logic/Puzzle/Strategy
 13%  [ 2 ]
Arcade
 33%  [ 5 ]
Optimized Routines (This could later be broken down into specific routines)
 6%  [ 1 ]
Shooter
 40%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 15

What should the next contest be?

I vote board games, i.e. Checkers, Chess, Connect 4 (OK its not a board game but oh well), Tic Tac Toe, Chinese Checkers, That little peg solitaire game ect.
I want to see some FPS loving for a calc contest Razz

Come on, lets see a Bioshock or Crysis port already! Very Happy
I want a Arcade contest because that is what I am best at doing thought I have enough projects going as it is.
I want board game or logic, some board games could be counted as logic Very Happy I am designing a beautiful logic engine right now.
I vote arcade.... Dunno why...
To be honest, I'm toying with a Racing-Battle type game idea. It's going to rely HEAVILY on xLib tho.... (if it's gonna look good, it'll need maximum graphix)
I would love to see a great shooter for the calculator come on out soon, but I do have a minor issue with grading calc programs lately, and that is Windows Vista.
I vote arcade mostly because it is pretty open. Although the others are to.

Frankly, all I really want is a contest of any sort.
I'd be down with Arcade (because it's open-ended) or with FPS (because calculator FPSes can pwn when they're well-made).
FPS's wouldn't be to good for BASIC'ers D:
I voted FPS, because frankly, there are already waaay too many games of the other categories out there. Now what is really missing is some FPS multiplayer (yeah, you might say raycasting deathmatches aren't that good, but it's still fun to frag your friends on every single gaming console available. Graphing Calculator Evil or Very Mad ). Dang, now that I think of it, there are so many things calc FPS's are missing (like a sniper rifle, intelligent AI, multiplayer, etc.)...
The only problem that might occur if it were an FPS contest is the fact that barely anyone has the knowledge needed to make a good z80 FPS, though the category was "Shooter", not "First-Person Shooter"... Idea
I thought of modding maze 3D II into a link play FPS but don't know ASM or if it's possible.
Question: Why does it always have to be a game? Could we list some other type options. There's lots of stuff out there (besides optimized routines) that we could do.
The problem with FPS would be that very few people would enter, because very few people know how to make them. Yes, it would be great to have some good ones, but they require WAY too much time.

I'd go for a category that many people could create things in, so there would be a lot of entries and the winner wouldn't just be whoever finished theirs.

I'd say Board games would be the best choice (MUST include AI); there aren't very many good board games other than a checkers game, a million tictactos, and a couple connect 4s.

Arcade wouldn't be too bad either.

I'd love RPG, because I'm working on one now Very Happy , but it doesn't appear to be an option Sad
I would have to agree with b-flat, RPGs should eventually be an option. They can be so open ended, and so creative, and the archives of cyberspace seem to be littered with mediocre RPGs, a few good ones here and there. We need awesome one!
My attention can never hold to a calc RPG, I never completed desolate out of boredom.
I think an RPG is too big to hold a complete contest for it (unless it's a very long contest), and as was mentioned, there are a lot of 'ok' RPGs out there, so I think a better contest would be to improve an existing one (eg, everyone gets the same thing to start with, and improves it as they see fit).
Maybe we should hold a very long contest. Let it span a year and during that time period set up other, mini-contests. This would be really cool.

I am now stretching this slightly but I have an idea;
Everybody has to decide if they are entering the contest by a certain date. Then, by another date anounce their project, and on subsequent dates give progress.
This is a little out there but what do you guys think?
Im really into incredibly short contests that announce the contest, but the actual topic of the contest isn't released until say, a few days before the contest end.
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Maybe we should hold a very long contest. Let it span a year and during that time period set up other, mini-contests. This would be really cool.

I am now stretching this slightly but I have an idea;
Everybody has to decide if they are entering the contest by a certain date. Then, by another date anounce their project, and on subsequent dates give progress.
This is a little out there but what do you guys think?
Eh, I agree that it's out there, and I'd go so far as to say it's probably a bit too out there for the scope of this contest. I think very few people would have the inclination or the motivation to work on something for such an extended period of time.
I totally say free-for-all, but that's only because I don't really care which one I'd make.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours