We haven't had one of these in while, so I decided to make one.

This is on general technology, unlike the 2 other topics that were on calculators. You can still post signs about TI-BASIC, or z80 ASM, but make sure its about programming, and not the calculator itself.

Rules(for those that haven't played this before):
    - Don't get off topic, and if you wan't to say something that isn't a sign that your addicted, make sure its 'commented'. As in, small, out of the way, and not as eye attracting as your signs.
    - Make sure all posts have a sign in it.
    - Number each sign starting with the last number of the previous poster.
    - If you see that someone has the same numbers as you, make sure they know if their post is after yours, or if your post is after theirs, quickly edit it before another post is added.
    - Have fun, and keep flames to a minimum.
    - As said in the first rule, keep most all discussion out of the topic, if you need/want to discuss something, then post a new topic, or PM the person you want to convers with.

Lets start!

1) You can remember multiple times that you have stayed up after the appropriate time, so that you could program.
2) You're able to recall yourself going through withdrawals when being away from a programming environment for too long.
3) When using a shared computer, you usually tell the person next in line to use it that "I'll only be a minute, I'm almost done with this script"... a minute being a little more then an hour and a half or more.

Edit by Kerm: changed from "General Programming" to the even broader "general technology." I think this will help ensure we can write several thousand signs without dupes.
4) Doing your math homework consists of 1 hour of coding, 7 minutes of input, and 5 minutes of copying output.
5) if you forget a method of getting an answer on a math test, you sometimes write programs to bruteforce the answer while you work on the rest of the test.

Please note that I changed the topic from programming to technology so we can get more unique Signs.
6) You don't leave your house without an MP3 player, Cell phone, calculator, Nintendo DS, PSP, BlackBerry, and other "essential" items of the sort.
EDIT:
Well, as a request from some users, I remade #7:
7. You carry one of these around with you every day just in case
8) You write a program to generate signs you are addicted to programming.
9) When someone asks you if you want to watch your favorite movie, you say no because your too busy programming.
10) While walking around the house or doing random things your always thinking of a solution to that script that you just can't fix.
11) When you finally find the solution you express your joy out loud.

(foamy3, lets keep that out of the thread please.)
12) While playing videogames online, some kid starts yelling at you in l33t. You calmly respond in binary (or hex, your choice).

(And I thought this was about addiction. Being a human, you are technically able to not be addicted but still use technology.)
13) Other people are happy with technology for three or four years before wanting to upgrade. You insist on ungrading annually.
14) You have no choice to upgrade, since you're so hard on your technology it breaks in 12 to 14 months anyway.
Since Delnar_Ersike is too stupid to be able to CORRECTLY understand what the dictionary said, here is a different #7 so that his post can be deleted and forgotten about...

7. You get excited when you find an old POS computer that still works to add to your collection.

-----
Personal attack hidden
15. You enjoy installing Linux, BSD, etc... on old computers and turning them into servers just to say you did.
16. Your parents threaten to take away your calculator as a punishment because you have been programming too much
17. When someone tries to post their opinion about technology and you disagree, you start insulting and trying to correct them. (Gee, I wonder who those could be? Rolling Eyes ) Personal attack hidden
18. You spend more time on the internet than at your school/college/university/workplace.
19. You happily debate the Opera vs. Firefox debate with your boss while at work.

as per my duties, I hid a few personal attacks... if they continue, I'll continue to hide them. Let's keep it clean guys...
alex10819 wrote:
as per my duties, I hid a few personal attacks... if they continue, I'll continue to hide them. Let's keep it clean guys...

Then, as per the "rules of the thread", can you remove #7 then, as it 1) has nothing to do with technology, 2) only shows that Delnar_Ersike can't understand the dictionary, and 3) has nothing to do with addictions?
It was an attempt. I see where he was coming from... while it was slightly off, it does pertain to technology in that technology is not limited to computers... human advancement is a form of technology, therefore, his post is at least semi-legitimate.
alex10819 wrote:
It was an attempt. I see where he was coming from... while it was slightly off, it does pertain to technology in that technology is not limited to computers... human advancement is a form of technology, therefore, his post is at least semi-legitimate.

But he is completely wrong in saying that "Human Beings" is a technical term. That is like saying that "tree" is a technical term, when anyone can tell you it is not. For it to at least be technical in nature, it would have to be "You are a homo sapien". But still, that shows no addiction to technology. I could say "You have a computer" - it deals with technology, but it hardly demonstrates any sort of addiction.

So #7 still fails to meet either of the two criteria of being technologically related and of demonstrating an addiction and/or above average dependence/attraction to technology... So slightly off is an understatement; he completely missed the mark.
mmkay, I see your point

I still won't remove it. He can remove it, and put something valid in its place...
Yeah, I only wanted to make a point there. Anyways, I changed it to something else hastily, so don't blame me if that one is stupid, too.
20. You say things like: "they just jumped into bed when i showed them how i added a speaker to my ti-83" and "earlier when my video card wasnt working i started crying seriously" (quotes from bash.org)
21. Whenever people send you links to quotes from QDB's such as bash.org, you invariably say, "seen it already."

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours