Check this out. Do I qualify for the BASIC Elite? Very Happy
Not only do I not get grayscale on my calc (just "pulsing" columns of alternating on/off status until the end when it switches to just having columns of alternating lines), it isn't a TI-Basic program and therefore wouldn't qualify you for the BASIC Elite even if it worked, anyway Rolling Eyes.
Try making the screen darker. The grayscale columns should be lighter than the regular ones. Adjusting the contrast to make things lighter may be visible also. I know I'm not crazy because I tested it on an 84+SE and it worked just as well.
Darkening the screen did nothing and I am also on an 84+SE. This is why you should always get a confirmation from a third party before celebrating that you've made the greatest discovery ever Razz
The grayscale is supposed to be after the program runs. Are you sure you can't see it?
haveacalc wrote:
The grayscale is supposed to be after the program runs. Are you sure you can't see it?

Oh, I see what you are talking about now - although it isn't gray scale at all, but just a side affect of how the screen works. Check it, go to the homescreen and fill it up completely with "+" signs. Darken the screen slightly and you should see lines of gray running vertically between them. That is all you are doing - and as far as I know its not controllable.
I haven't had time to type this in, but I am guessing the results are similar to when you load rows and rows of x's on the graph screen.

EDIT: Gah! Klr beat me to it! Won't this only work on the 84+se because of a faulty driver or something?
Harq wrote:
I haven't had time to type this in, but I am guessing the results are similar to when you load rows and rows of x's on the graph screen.

Exactly - or in my example '+' signs on the homescreen Wink
Harq wrote:
Won't this only work on the 84+se because of a faulty driver or something?

It worked on my 83+.

Kllrnohj wrote:
haveacalc wrote:

Oh, I see what you are talking about now - although it isn't gray scale at all, but just a side affect of how the screen works. Check it, go to the homescreen and fill it up completely with "+" signs. Darken the screen slightly and you should see lines of gray running vertically between them. That is all you are doing - and as far as I know its not controllable.
No! I know what you're talking about, but that's REALLY not what I mean. This is definitely very controllable. Can anyone else get it to work?
Wow! What a waist of my time typing in all that code. Its as they are saying its just a side effect of the LCD screen and did nothing.
HAHAHAHA Sweet! It actually worked on my calculator! (TI-84+SE) I know what they mean by the wierd screen effect when u fill it up and it is definitely not that. It actually pretty much looks like grayscale. Wierd...
Yeah, I've seen this before. When I was trying to fill a screen with text sprites. No libs, either! Try this:

Code:
:ZStandard
:Shade(-10,10
:"[&X&[
:For(A,0,80,8
:For(B,0,54,6
:For(Z,0,5
:Text(B,A+X,sub(Ans,Z+1,z
:End
The & symbols are the X-hat thing--[VARS]>[5]>[2].

After it's done, look at the bottom row of pixels, and tell me that's not like what you did.
Pics please, we want proof!
haveacalc wrote:
No! I know what you're talking about, but that's REALLY not what I mean. This is definitely very controllable. Can anyone else get it to work?

No, this is just a different take on what me and Harq said. That is why you have to have the screen dark - the darkened screen is the "gray", with the lighter white being a side affect of the every-other pixel being black. That is why you can store it to a picture and recall it just fine (and pic variables, need I remind you, only store whether the pixel is on or off - and therefore can't do shades of gray at all). And yes, I did get it to "work".

@Harq: Its not due to a faulty driver, and it works on the 83's as well.
This. Is. Not. Grayscale.

This is merely what happens when you turn the contrast up. It's not controllable at all, and it's certainly not "real" grayscale - there's no such thing as "real" grayscale on calcs. Real grayscale would be an LCD that supports controllable grayscale instead of anything that darkens contrast or rapidly switches between white and black.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours