Who wants to have a contest?
Yes!
 88%  [ 16 ]
No...
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 18

I just wanted to know if anyone was interested in starting a contest. If people start voting yes, I think Kerm will start one. If people vote yes everyone could throw in ideas afterwards.

Personally I would like to see another contest in pure BASIC.
I think that's a good idea. Hadn't we decided on arcade/sidescroller for this contest?
I would like a contest, but I would say wait a few weeks, final exams come up in like 4... Then its SUMMER!!!!!!

Yeah, I think we had a contest idea, but somehow it never got off the ground (I still want a 20 questions implementation contest! I think it would be a good challenge)
True waiting a few weeks would probably be great. I have been avoiding thinking about final exams...I HATE THOSE!
I agree with Harq and Mexi. Anytime after 5/10 would be pwninimity.
Contests are always good!
ok, I can look at getting one set up. I will start it up 5/10, and depending, I will decided the end date later.
20 questions would be hard... Do you know how much memory it owuld take to create that? Each answer c hoice would require it's own set of answers, etc... We're talking massive amounts of data...
yeah, it would be really hard to do. I think the learning as it goes would be impossible also.
We are talking about BASIC here right, because if we are, yes it is definetly VERY hard. Otherwise everything would have to be programmed right in.
I think a contest would be good also, but don't just make it basic. It should be ASM and BASIC too. I mean sometimes BASIC programs pwn ASM programs, it all depends on the code and the programmer so I don't think you should limit it to BASIC.
Personally, I think if you want a contest with ASM you might as well just make to separate contests but both the same topic. No matter what you say 95% of the time ASM takes BASIC.
I think there should be a contest. But only if there was something to get out of it like tifreak's (I still wish I hadn't of got all emo during that contest and dropped out of it...)
alex10819 wrote:
20 questions would be hard... Do you know how much memory it owuld take to create that? Each answer c hoice would require it's own set of answers, etc... We're talking massive amounts of data...

Ah, but that is the challenge! Coming up with unique ways to store the answers and determine the most likely answer.

It would only need about 50 objects or less, and if you managed to implement a practical method for this, then WOW!

In asm it would actually be relatively easy because you could store the answers much more efficiently by just using .db (wouldn't that be more compact) Also it would be able to check for the answer MUCH faster...

EDIT: Awwww... someone has already done it on the voyager: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/375/37528.html
I think that since it would be during the summer and everyone would be out of school that a basic contest that is free choice would be sweet.
I would only be in favor of another contest if ASM games were allowed. I admit that my skills are lacking (mostly because I just started and I've been spending most of my time memorizing opcodes (currently at 216)), it would really open up the contest to allow Assembly things. I myself am loving Assembly and will shun BASIC for the rest of my life (even hybrid), but I'm sure BASIC programmers would enjoy using xLib and other things.
I think it should be split - a BASIC contest and an ASM contest. That way, it will be fair.
TI-Freakware's contest was fair. BASICers have a huge advantage in that they can code everything faster, which really matters in short contests such as these at Cemetech.

Harq wrote:
In asm it would actually be relatively easy because you could store the answers much more efficiently by just using .db
If you .db everything in the regular way, it's still 1 byte per letter.
I think BASIC and ASM each have their own advantages for a contest like this. ASM can make more complex, fast, and powerful programs, but as haveacalc said, BASIC programs can be written and debugged much faster.
I will think about having an ASM contest also. There is a lot of time to think though (and I need to wait for school to get out, work is taking a lot of time away from me).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours